vb:literal>

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tips for Newbies (Please share yours!)

I agree with the previous posts. So many geocaches are located in public parks and on public trails, that the risks are undoubtedly no greater when geocaching than when visiting these locations for any othe purpose.

I'd be willing to bet that the chances of getting hit by lightening while geocaching are a lot greater than being confronted by someone with evil intentions.

Thanks for all the reassurances! I guess it just freaked me a little when I first thought about it, but after reading your posts, I realize that the danger is probably far less than when I was a teenager and used to run at night..alone! Sometimes when you get older, your mind tends to gravitate toward the negative and or danger in a situation. Other parents here would likely agree! I feel much better now and will heed your suggestions. Anybody in southwest maine lookin for someone to cache with??? Maybe start a group of newbies? I am excited to go on my first geocache adventure! Thanks again all. ~R.R~

We're over in the Durham area so not much good to you on a regular basis but I'd be glad to meet up with you and show you some of the things I've learned. Email if you want. I'm still a newbie with only 36 finds but have already probably made all the normal newbie mistakes <G>

Also there is a gathering announced for June 18th announced at Waypoint GCP1GV ("Slipping into Summer Cache 2005" on the www.geocaching.com site. We're going to meet some of the faces here and also maybe get some help with a few questions.

Anne

TwoMaineiacs / Anne and Joe

I would love to go caching with you but I am a little ways away here in Fairfield Me. We go as a group of cachers quite often,in fact 4 of us went on a caching extravaganza just this past Saturday to Deer Island and Stonington and picked up about 12 new caches while spending the day together and having lunch and dinner together. It's a blast.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by rookie riegel
    Thanks for all the reassurances! I guess it just freaked me a little when I first thought about it, but after reading your posts, I realize that the danger is probably far less than when I was a teenager and used to run at night..alone! Sometimes when you get older, your mind tends to gravitate toward the negative and or danger in a situation. Other parents here would likely agree! I feel much better now and will heed your suggestions. Anybody in southwest maine lookin for someone to cache with??? Maybe start a group of newbies? I am excited to go on my first geocache adventure! Thanks again all. ~R.R~
    With your location, you may alss want to consider hooking up with some New Hampshire geocachers. There are a LOT of great caches not too far from you in that state (North Conway area is good for a start), and I've met several great cachers from there as well.

Check the forums at http://newenglandgeocaching.com/

Default Nature Calls

If you are at a cache site and you get a call from nature, always find the cache first. That way you will not accidently "mark" the cache.

Quote Originally Posted by EGSG
    If you are at a cache site and you get a call from nature, always find the cache first. That way you will not inadvertaly "mark" the cache.
    Anyone can sign a cache log for you. It takes a little more work to talk someone into leaving your DNA at a cache site.

Hi_ I am new to this sport and bring along a gaggle of kids. I have read complaints about the quality of the contents of the cache. Do you season cachers have suggestions of good deposits?......silly putty, cards, play dough....................
    I am also having a little trouble dechiphering some log shorthand. I have figured out TB, FTF, TN but help me with some of the others. Thanks for your help.

Smile geocaching terms

Hi,

I found a good post on geocaching.com with helpful links:

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/ind...c=8749&hl=tnln

scroll down to the post titled:
    "Meanings of Acronyms and Terms Used in Geocaching"

The Lexicon of Geocaching:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~prime.suspect/geolex/

On cache deposits I'm not sure, but I try to keep my eye out for small interesting items when I'm out shopping. I once found a nice spider man tin box with spiderman play cards for $1.87 hopefully someone will like. I have found several items in target and ac moore(little dinosaur toys) south portland. I once found some cool keychains at payless for a dollar.

You would be surprised at the nice objects you can find at your local dollar store.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.