vb:literal>

Thread: Travel Bugs and retrieving them

Hybrid View

Default Travel Bugs and retrieving them

I want everyones opinion on this. Is it right to attend an event and literally pick up a travel bug and then place it back on the table and then log it retrieved from the event and then log it back into the same event. I personally do not find this right and ethical. I was wondering how others felt about this.
    Blazing Troll

No, definitly not right. Actually, the word "stupid" comes to mind as well.
    A TB is meant to be picked up at an event or in a cache and then transferred to another cache or event. Because you got to "touch" a travel bug at an event gives you no right to write down the numbers of the TB and log it... pointless and...stupid. But hey... thats just my $.02.
    Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

Whether is is right or ethical or not is up to your own interpretation I guess,but I prefer not to do it that way. There are many in the geocaching world who do just that but I guess it is up to the individual how they want to play the game.I prefer to move them from one event or cache to another but that's just the way I prefer to play the game.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

It is allowed. I don't see any ethics issues provided the cacher does exactly what they claim: ie. they physically pick up the travel bug, then put it back.

This is a good way to keep track of which bugs you've seen.

On the other hand, some bug owers do not want to recieve logs when the bug does not move. Always read the bug page before logging!

Good comments so far, but I personally wouldn't do it. The object of the TB is to travel from CACHE to CACHE, not from CACHER to CACHER.

But then again, there's the issue of picking up a TB and then logging it into and out of multiple caches, which I've done to help a TB on it's goal.

Sometimes the concern about "The Numbers" exceeds common sense...

d’76 Guest

Being somewhat inexperianced when it comes to TBs what would there be to gain by picking one up and the setting it sown and logging it. You don't get numbers for tbs do you??

Having been to several events elsewhere this is a pretty common practice most everywhere.

Would I do it my self? NOT!

But, the part about geocaching that most folks enjoy is that you set the guidelines or parameters you choose to follow. Given that baseline it is OK to do that if you want to do it.

So while I would not and others here would not, some would and they can do that.

The best thing to do in geocaching and life is make sure you can live with the person who stares back at you in the mirror every morning. There are alots of things in life that others choose to do that I would not, but there is little I can do about it.

Seeking an opinion is good, name calling is not. Someone or more than just one who was obviously at an event could now read this thread and learn that someone thinks poorly of them.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    Being somewhat inexperianced when it comes to TBs what would there be to gain by picking one up and the setting it sown and logging it. You don't get numbers for tbs do you??
    Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't there a contest on GC that for every TB that you moved a TB that your name got put in a drawing or something to that effect?
    Blazing Troll