vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Surround sound system opinions

Default OT: Surround sound system opinions

It's that time of year again . . . the days after Christmas when you go out and get what you really wanted for Christmas.

Currently I've got a HDTV and it's hooked into a stereo system. However, what I really would like is a decent surround sound system so I can also hook up my DVD player to it as well . . . currently I cannot do this as the stereo system was originally designed primarily as a stereo system and not as a home theatre system.

I don't need the biggest or the best. I was thinking about spending around $500 (or less) for a decent-sounding system. Anyone out there have any suggestions on what has been a good (or a bad) system . . . at this point I'm thinking primarily about going with one of those home theatres in a box.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

d’76 Guest

Hey Jake, Last summer I went and upgraded to a surround system and I'm very glad I did. The people that I spoke with said that the 1 box systems that you can buy are ok but the way to go is to buy seperate componts. The reason being is that way if one component breaks than you dont have to buy a whole new system. I went with a Yamaha Natural sound reciever and a JBL subwoofer and JBL Speakers. As with anything the products is only as good as the product getting the sound to the speakers so I went with Monster wire (abit pricey but well worth it) The guy that I bought my system through had a good point that you can have the best speakers in the world but if the wire is junk then the speakers are junk.

I love my system. We use it all the time. It kinda sucks though because VHS tapes don't have surround sound. All those movies I am slowly replacing with DVD.

This is the system that I have:
    http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/HTIB/HTR5740.htm

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/pro...at=SCS&ser=SCS

And dont forget the wire.

http://www.monstercable.com/custom_i...eaker%20Cables

It's a bit more than 5oo bucks but it you have an awesome tv, which it sounds like you do than the little difference shouldnt matter much

Good luck

I would stay away from the packaged systems. You have a lot more options if you build your own system. Defiantly invest the money in good speakers. We have a set of Bose speakers which are awesome and worth every penny. A high quality center speaker and a powered subwoofer will vastly improve your viewing experience. You can probably re-use the speakers you already have for front speakers, or upgrade later. Rear speakers are less important, so you can save some money there. I think you choice in a receiver is a lot less important. I would get one that is easy to use. We have a high-end Denon receiver which I hate because it is so confusing to use. There is nothing worse than accidentally hitting the wrong button on the remote and then spending 5 minutes trying how to get the sound back again. I wish I still had my Sony receiver, great easy to use receiver.

Buy the best receiver you can afford and a powered subwofer, use your stereo speakers for the front for now and buy a decent rear and center set. that will make it very enjoyable. upgrade the speakers as you can.
    I like my Onkyo reciever, it has a seperate amp for each channel and will rock the house.

Default How about........

Livin a more simple life and destroy all your electronics except a good Garmin GPS.

p.s. This is MY New Year's resolution.
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty & Co.
    Livin a more simple life and destroy all your electronics except a good Garmin GPS.

what I would give for the simple life but where would we be with out technology??? I dont think we would be able to cache with out it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty & Co.

I've only got one TV that gets used maybe once a month to watch a few movies, other than that it's a useless piece of junk. I read the other day that the congress is going to pass a bill to make all broadcasts HDTV. I for one refuse to ever buy another TV, if this one dies, i'll be selling a DVD player and VCR reallllly cheap.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    what I would give for the simple life but where would we be with out technology??? I dont think we would be able to cache with out it.
    Ya, I suppose I ought to keep the computer
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    I've only got one TV that gets used maybe once a month to watch a few movies, other than that it's a useless piece of junk. I read the other day that the congress is going to pass a bill to make all broadcasts HDTV. I for one refuse to ever buy another TV, if this one dies, i'll be selling a DVD player and VCR reallllly cheap.
    HDTV has been mandated for YEARS. The only sticking points have been WHEN, and how much Congress will give to the "poor" so that they can have state-of-the-art like the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    HDTV has been mandated for YEARS. The only sticking points have been WHEN, and how much Congress will give to the "poor" so that they can have state-of-the-art like the rest of us.
    well the report i heard the other day said that "everything would be HDTV" by the year 2009, no ifs ands or BUTTS about it....
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.