Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: OT: Surround sound system opinions

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    1,652

    Default

    And I remember learning in grade school about the impending conversion of our measuring system to metrics. Seems the timeline is a bit different than we anticipated when we were sitting in our 4th grade classroom studying hard to be prepared - lol

    Don't hold your breath
    ~ Beach Comber ~

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    well the report i heard the other day said that "everything would be HDTV" by the year 2009, no ifs ands or BUTTS about it....
    Yup. But it's a LONG way to 2009! LOL!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Yup. But it's a LONG way to 2009! LOL!
    yeah well, when i was little i thought my uncle (who was 23 at the time) was really reallly old....and i used to think my dad was even older when he was only thirty... now i tell my boss (who is about 60) he's pretty fit for a young guy.... time just goes by so fast when your not expecting it..
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Brunswick, Maine
    Posts
    548

    Default

    My thought is that HD will become more avalibe but they will have alot of issues with making it manditory. If they make it manditory many smaller stations and some public stations may find themselves either going off the air or end up being bought up by larger corporate networks. Also I doubt that they will hold to any date on the change, look what they have done with the cell phone 911.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    RE: HDTV broadcasts . . . since we've seem to gone off-topic here.

    I've found a pretty significant difference in digital over-the-air (OTA) broadcasts versus analog OTA broadcasts . . . and a small improvement with HDTV OTA broadcasts versus digital OTA broadcasts for most TV shows . . . although there is an incredible difference with HDTV OTA broadcasts for sporting events such as NFL games. I sincerely believe that if more folks could see the startling difference between what they're seeing now and what they could be watching they would realize the future truly is in HDTV.

    That said . . . I don't believe the government should have to dictate what should be. Any change-over should be "dictated" by consumer demand as switching to HDTV broadcasting is not a public safety issue. I think a major driving force right now is (to be frank) many people are confused about terms like "HDTV ready" and "HDTV capable" and . . . and this is probably the most signficant issue . . . the costs for TVs and receivers is still too high for many people. The costs need to come down before people are ready to say to themselves, "Well the old Sony/Panasonic/Samsung/etc. still works, but for just a few dollars more I can buy a new TV and get HDTV so I guess I'll spring for the extra dough." I feel at this time the difference is still too high for most people to justify the extra expense.

    It should also be noted that TV stations also face a large expense in upgrading and (as we are seeing currently here in central Maine) running dual analog and digital broadcasts. What's truly too bad is that these same TV stations for some reason can't comprehend that they may be part of the problem . . . since some stations are only running at partial power with their HDTV systems (to save money) they're not reaching out to their whole audience (for example, WVII has digital but when I last checked into this issue several months ago they were covering Bangor and that was about the extent of their HDTV range.) When this is the case, it's harder for a consumer to justify the expense of buying a HDTV TV or receiver if they find out that they won't be able to watch their favorite show in HD anyways.

    I think HDTV will eventually be as popular as analog TV . . . but it will come in time. To be quite honest I'm surprised some TV stations haven't figured out that HDTV could be a potential money-maker since many will have the ability to broadcast two shows at the same time on separate assigned channels -- something that PBS already does. I'm not an account executive, but it seems to me you could utilize this ability to air re-runs or target specific and different audiences even at the same time with additional advertising.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Well after extensive research using epinions.com, ecoustics.com and personal feedback from folks here and at some other BBS I took the plunge and bought my first surround sound system.

    While I was all set to go with a Home Theatre in a Box -- and I had narrowed it down to a Sony or Denon system with separate DVD players and receivers -- in the end I opted to go with a Yamaha receiver and a home theatre speaker package from JBL (actually pretty similar to what Dave1976 did I believe.)

    Here is the receiver:

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1107956964113

    And here is the speaker package:

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1114638817446

    In the end I figured it out and it seemed as though the Yamaha receiver would give me a lot more inputs and outputs for future upgrades. In addition, the separate amps for each speaker seemed like a good idea.

    I'm not totally sold on the speaker package that I listened to in the store, but I had a certain budget and they seemed to offer the best sound for the value without breaking the bank. I would have loved to get a bunch of Bose speakers, but then I would have been approaching a $1,000 system and somehow I don't think my wife would have approved of such an outlay. Maybe in the future I can slowly upgrade the speakers if I really don't get any satisfaction from the JBL speakers.

    So I guess I know what I'll be doing in the next few days -- taking down the old system, moving the heavy cabinets, drilling holes in the living room floor and running wires underneath the crawl space . . . sounds like fun, huh?

    Thanks for everyone's input.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  7. #17
    dí76 Guest

    Default

    When you hook up the receiver you will find that the reciever has to be on cd in order for it to work. I tried to use the dvd option on the reciever only to find that it wouldnt work. I thought that since it was a dvd player that I wanted to use that I would need the dvd option(DUH) but thats not the case. Use the cd player mode.


    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    Well after extensive research using epinions.com, ecoustics.com and personal feedback from folks here and at some other BBS I took the plunge and bought my first surround sound system.

    While I was all set to go with a Home Theatre in a Box -- and I had narrowed it down to a Sony or Denon system with separate DVD players and receivers -- in the end I opted to go with a Yamaha receiver and a home theatre speaker package from JBL (actually pretty similar to what Dave1976 did I believe.)

    Here is the receiver:

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1107956964113

    And here is the speaker package:

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1114638817446

    In the end I figured it out and it seemed as though the Yamaha receiver would give me a lot more inputs and outputs for future upgrades. In addition, the separate amps for each speaker seemed like a good idea.

    I'm not totally sold on the speaker package that I listened to in the store, but I had a certain budget and they seemed to offer the best sound for the value without breaking the bank. I would have loved to get a bunch of Bose speakers, but then I would have been approaching a $1,000 system and somehow I don't think my wife would have approved of such an outlay. Maybe in the future I can slowly upgrade the speakers if I really don't get any satisfaction from the JBL speakers.

    So I guess I know what I'll be doing in the next few days -- taking down the old system, moving the heavy cabinets, drilling holes in the living room floor and running wires underneath the crawl space . . . sounds like fun, huh?

    Thanks for everyone's input.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    When you hook up the receiver you will find that the reciever has to be on cd in order for it to work. I tried to use the dvd option on the reciever only to find that it wouldnt work. I thought that since it was a dvd player that I wanted to use that I would need the dvd option(DUH) but thats not the case. Use the cd player mode.
    Very odd . . . but thanks for the tip. I assume that tip is only for use with an audio CD and not a video DVD?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  9. #19
    dí76 Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    Very odd . . . but thanks for the tip. I assume that tip is only for use with an audio CD and not a video DVD?
    NO isnt that Bull ****, It has to be that way for a DVD also

Similar Threads

  1. how does this sound for a cache
    By robt in forum Hides, Hunts and History
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-20-2006, 08:55 AM
  2. Google Earth-VW plan navigation system
    By Starzz in forum General Geocaching Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-2006, 10:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •