vb:literal>

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Check this out....

Default Check This Out

how do you get internet from your cell phone?
    i have been loking to get rid of my land line

Quote Originally Posted by DiverDave1998
    how do you get internet from your cell phone?
    i have been loking to get rid of my land line
    Depending on the cell service where you are you can get a PCMCIA Card that will connect over cellphone service, the problem is it is still rather slow and is really expensive. They are coming up with better options also but for now they are only avaible in major cities and no where is maine. unfortunatly unless you really want to pay for it you only have a choice of cable, DSL, or dialup internet, with the exception of some satalite service which is allso a bit pricey to get into.

Lee was upset her computer wasn't quite up to speed with mine, getting just over 2000 Kbps while I was steady just under 3000 Kbps, with a few tests over 3000.

Anyway, I had allready done some registry tweaks mentioned at http://www.speedguide.net/ on my Win98 machine. So I figured now was a good time to see if it helped any. After adding/editing the entries on her WinMe machine, her numbers are right up there where mine are.

I edited mine by hand, but they have software to do the same thing. I could probably tweak some of the numbers some, but it's stable now and faster than the 500+Kbps we were running with. Plus I have this $&*%&*(%# cold and I can't spend more than 10 minutes without dripping on my keyboard.

Default Check This Out

I found a wireless connection that is supose to be fater then dsl i will find out next week whe they hook me in

Quote Originally Posted by DiverDave1998
    I found a wireless connection that is supose to be fater then dsl i will find out next week whe they hook me in
    Dave, what one is that. I might be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by robt
    Dave, what one is that. I might be interested.
    There are several companies in Maine that offer better-than-DSL wireless internet access. Here's a list.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    There are several companies in Maine that offer better-than-DSL wireless internet access. Here's a list.

Wow, a couple of those places are pricey! $1500 setup and $500 a month for 1000Kbps? Looks like a few are trying to make some big profit before there's too much competition. But, that's the American way. I guess the term "better than DSL" is relative. I'm glad I'm not living in Granola Valley anymore.

I know Bangor announced some wireless internet they were going to provide, I think they said $9 an hour by the hour, other rates for longer terms.

d’76 Guest

So just for giggles I went out on the web and found some of those other test sites and they all came back different so who the hell knows. I dont all I know its faster than dialup

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    So just for giggles I went out on the web and found some of those other test sites and they all came back different so who the hell knows. I dont all I know its faster than dialup
    Dave thoose sites will very depended on where they are located in realation to your isp, the demand on their servers and internet trafic. I usually will check the one my isp as the most accurate cause it is the one that most ISP's will consider as a good messurment. Most every ISP does not gaurentee any speed other then the speed on their network only and does not consider any speed issues that you could find after you leave that network if they consider speed at all.

Hey Robt,what the heck are you talking about anyway?...lol And while you're at it did you ever consider using the spellchecker here? It is the ABC with the check mark on the upper right hand corner of the composition page.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.