vb:literal>

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maine geocoin tracking

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Comber
    I believe I saw your two cents for sale on eBay shortly after you posted this comment
    I keep losing my marbles too, only to have people tell me they saw them up for bids on Ebay. Of course, only I know they are priceless.
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

I see that there are currently 7 Maine geocoins for sale on eBay.

They're being sold by people in Tennessee, Georgia, Michigan and California. I guess the Maine geocachers know enough to hang onto theirs! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty & Co.
    I keep losing my marbles too, only to have people tell me they saw them up for bids on Ebay. Of course, only I know they are priceless.
    You know what - I think that Joe and Anne are using those for their sig item - lol
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Quote Originally Posted by tat
    Here's an example of a crude tracking site http://www.geocky.org/coins It has been vandalized and most coins have only one tracking entry.

Do we have anyone who knows how to make a good tracking webpage? I'd love to help, but it would not be bullet proof!
    Vandalized? How so?

There is a PHP bug that I haven't been able to track down, that causes garbage to be loaded into the database instead of user names sometimes. It's a mystery, and I'm not at all happy about the bug of course, but the site still works.

I would be happy to provide the source code to Geocaching Maine if you want to use it as the basis for your own tracking system. Maybe someone with better PHP skills than mine can point out the cause for this intermittent bug, too.

Quote Originally Posted by hoys
    Vandalized? How so?

There is a PHP bug that I haven't been able to track down, that causes garbage to be loaded into the database instead of user names sometimes. It's a mystery, and I'm not at all happy about the bug of course, but the site still works.

I would be happy to provide the source code to Geocaching Maine if you want to use it as the basis for your own tracking system. Maybe someone with better PHP skills than mine can point out the cause for this intermittent bug, too.
    I am not a php person. But I can try and put the source code in the web site if you send it to me and it is self explanatory and uses a MySQL database. But I don't use PostgreSQL databases.

Blazing Troll

Default Ooops....

Please disregard the post below, We have a tracking page!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hoys
    Vandalized? How so?

OOOPS! I may have jumped to a conclusion. I saw very odd looking names (lots of characters that made no sense to me) in some of the logs and assumed the site had been vandalized.

My point really was that the site looked like a good example of a simple tracking site that may not be too of a project to take on. But, it does not have many of the features that people might expect from a tracking system, ie. password security, ability edit logs, etc. And, there is some periodic moderating that needs to be done. If we host a tracking site, it is a long term commitment.
    Last edited by tat; 01-14-2006 at 07:14 PM. Reason: moot point!

OOOPS! I may have jumped to a conclusion. I saw very odd looking names (lots of characters that made no sense to me) in some of the logs and assumed the site had been vandalized.
    Logical assumption, no offense taken or intended. I just wanted to make sure you weren't seeing something I wasn't.

But, it does not have many of the features that people might expect from a tracking system, ie. password security, ability edit logs, etc. And, there is some periodic moderating that needs to be done. If we host a tracking site, it is a long term commitment.
    Agreed. I wanted to do things like password login, and in fact I was thinking about making it members-only. But then people would have to sign up for an account just to log a coin, which would really discourage use. So far, there's been no problem (other than the PHP bug, which has been driving me crazy for over a year trying to track it down in my spare time).

The source has been provided, and the code is actually pretty readable (I've been programming for many years), so it should be possible to add a users table (or even look up users in the Geocaching Maine database, which is what I had planned on doing for Geocky before I abandoned the concept of logins).

I'll be the first to admit it's far from perfect. This was my first PHP project (I usually program in an ancient language called RPG on green screen terminals, though I work in various other languages from time to time as the whim strikes), and if Geocaching Maine decides not to implement it, I'll fully understand. No offense taken if you don't.