vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maine geocoin tracking

Hybrid View

Default Maine geocoin tracking

Is someone going to get something going for our Maine Geocoins for tracking or are we going to blow off everyone that bought coins and wants to send them out and track them? I have been receiving emails from coin buyers that want to know where are tracking program is. What am I suppose to do write then back and say to bad we are not going to have a tracking program?
    Blazing Troll

I'm all for it if there's some way you can incorporate one on this site. we definitely don't want to go the EXPENSIVE geocaching.com route...

Default Tracking was not offered!

When we sold the coins, we specifically said they were not trackable. I could not find a reference on the site, but I'm sure it is in the forums somewhere. Rather than "blowing off" anyone, you could send the link to them.

Having said that, there is nothing stopping us from adding tracking. There are only two ways I know of to add tracking now. Either use the sequence number and create a web page (hosted here or somewhere else) or drill a hole and add a TB tag.

Here's an example of a crude tracking site http://www.geocky.org/coins It has been vandalized and most coins have only one tracking entry.

Do we have anyone who knows how to make a good tracking webpage? I'd love to help, but it would not be bullet proof!

How will the next coin be tracked?

I don't see where the confusion is. We specifically said that the coin is not trackable on GC.com or elsewhere so I don't know where everyone is getting this information. I know we had discussed this same topic at length on the original geocoin thread but that's all it was was just a discussion with nothing concrete on the coin being trackable. It was a long thread maybe 6 or 7 months in length so maybe some of the original members or other visitors to the thread topic saw something that we might be tracking it and assumed that it would be,who knows?
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I don't know how eveyone else feels about the coin being trackable on GC.com but for myself the $1.50 that they charge for each trackable coin is a little steep in my opinion. But if that is what the general public wants then maybe we ought to at least consider it on the next coin that we develop. Just my 2 cents
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Post My 2 cents worth

I believe that the majority of coins are now considered "collectables" and that a coin place in a cache , trackable or not, will soon disappear.

If it means paying 0.50 to 1.50 per coin for all the coins so that a few people can watch their coin vanish in a few months, I say forget it. Let them add a TB to their coin.

People are trading coins for other states coins and selling them on ebay for a lot more than the initial cost. As time goes on the 2005 Maine coin will become rarer and rarer.

I say leave it be, it is not a trackable coin.

Well, thats my 2 cents,

A house is not a home without a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy6
    I don't see where the confusion is. We specifically said that the coin is not trackable on GC.com or elsewhere so I don't know where everyone is getting this information.
    I don't think there's any confusion on the part of the "regulars" on geocachingmaine.org. We all knew that they coins were not trackable. Regardless, the first Maine geocoin sold on eBay stated (erroneously) that the coin was trackable on this site. I myself made a comment to the effect that the seller could expect a lot of bad feedback is someone bought his coins expecting that they were trackable.

But having said that, we don't know who Rick is getting the emails from. I suspect they may be from people who bought coins - either from this site or eBay - not realizing that they were NOT trackable. Caveat emptor.

But if there's a way to log the coin number that you have, then be able to track it even if (as expected) it gets "collected" after only one or two caches, I say go for it and make the coin owner haooy

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    I say go for it and make the coin owner haooy
    What is haooy?? LOL
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

Quote Originally Posted by tat
    Here's an example of a crude tracking site http://www.geocky.org/coins It has been vandalized and most coins have only one tracking entry.

Do we have anyone who knows how to make a good tracking webpage? I'd love to help, but it would not be bullet proof!
    Vandalized? How so?

There is a PHP bug that I haven't been able to track down, that causes garbage to be loaded into the database instead of user names sometimes. It's a mystery, and I'm not at all happy about the bug of course, but the site still works.

I would be happy to provide the source code to Geocaching Maine if you want to use it as the basis for your own tracking system. Maybe someone with better PHP skills than mine can point out the cause for this intermittent bug, too.

Quote Originally Posted by hoys
    Vandalized? How so?

There is a PHP bug that I haven't been able to track down, that causes garbage to be loaded into the database instead of user names sometimes. It's a mystery, and I'm not at all happy about the bug of course, but the site still works.

I would be happy to provide the source code to Geocaching Maine if you want to use it as the basis for your own tracking system. Maybe someone with better PHP skills than mine can point out the cause for this intermittent bug, too.
    I am not a php person. But I can try and put the source code in the web site if you send it to me and it is self explanatory and uses a MySQL database. But I don't use PostgreSQL databases.

Blazing Troll