vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maine geocoin tracking

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy6
    I don't see where the confusion is. We specifically said that the coin is not trackable on GC.com or elsewhere so I don't know where everyone is getting this information.
    I don't think there's any confusion on the part of the "regulars" on geocachingmaine.org. We all knew that they coins were not trackable. Regardless, the first Maine geocoin sold on eBay stated (erroneously) that the coin was trackable on this site. I myself made a comment to the effect that the seller could expect a lot of bad feedback is someone bought his coins expecting that they were trackable.

But having said that, we don't know who Rick is getting the emails from. I suspect they may be from people who bought coins - either from this site or eBay - not realizing that they were NOT trackable. Caveat emptor.

But if there's a way to log the coin number that you have, then be able to track it even if (as expected) it gets "collected" after only one or two caches, I say go for it and make the coin owner haooy

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    I say go for it and make the coin owner haooy
    What is haooy?? LOL
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty & Co.
    What is haooy?? LOL
    A typo - the "O" is right next to the "P".

(Darn laptop keyboard is too small...)

I have been fielding emails from several people asking how to track their Maine coins too. The Ebay auction listing a "trackable Maine coin" didn't help things, for sure.
    When we set this up, there was a discussion on tracking. There were good arugments both ways, but the majority agreed that it wouldn't be worth it. (It would have added about $2500 to our coin order). I have gotten several comments on how nice it was to buy the Maine coin for far less than many other coins on the market. A couple of European buyers did comment that the trackable coins are very desirable in GB and Germany, but the concensus was to put a serial number on the coin, but not to track it.
    As Cameo mentioned, sorting the coins was a big job to begin with. It would have taken another few days to attach name and tracking number to almost 2000 coins.
    The idea of doing a trackable coin to "lock in" a Maine logo is interesting. I believe that I had read that a logo costs $150 and numbers are $1.50/coin, though that may have changed or be incorrect.

wbdent I posted this question in the forums here for several reasons. The main reason was for answering the question as it arises in the future. This way I could just send them to this link and they could read the answer to their question as to why we did not put a tracking program into effect. I for one thought the purpose of putting serial numbers on the coins were to use them for tracking. That is what serial numbers are for. I also agree that the coins will not last long in caches before people will steal them for their own private collections. But I also know we discussed tracking them and decided that paying GC to track them was to much and out of the question. I thought some was going to find a tracking program that the Maine geocoin could be used on. I must have misunderstood this when it was being discussed. But it looks like I have the answer and now I can refer anyone that ask in the future to this link.
    Blazing Troll

It does not matter to me, but I do recall seeing that they were not to be trackable on GC, but something I think was mentioned about them being tracked on this site. Maybe I am mistaken.

My understanding when I bought my MaineGeocaoins was that they were not trackable. Therefore, I bought one extra just to make into a TB for that purpose.
    Those who have worked long and hard on this put the option out there and it was decided not to make them trackable. These folks volunteered thier time and resources for the development of the coin. For me, it is unreasonable to ask them to figure out a way to track them after the fact. It might be helpful to have a specific statement in the FAQ to address this.
    Perhaps the next coin could be a trackable one. That will mean it will also be costlier. But will there be as much interest?

P.S. For those who worked to make this coin possible, you did a great job!

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty & Co.
    Maybe I shouldn't say that's my 2 cents worth for fear someone will take my 2 cents and keep them as collectibles, LOL. So this is just my opinion!!
    I believe I saw your two cents for sale on eBay shortly after you posted this comment
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Comber
    I believe I saw your two cents for sale on eBay shortly after you posted this comment
    I saw them too and bought them for $25.40 'cause I thought they were worth much more than 2 cents.

Default Maine geocoin tracking

MaineGeocaoins are not trackable????