vb:literal>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Garmin launches the new “X”-treme series handheld gps

hmm, well with a little luck my schedule might change and then I could go to the event this weekend and see it. But then I am not counting on it yet, I just volenteeredto change my days off but my boss does not seem to be overly thrilled about the idea either.,..... but that is life as we know it.

AHHHHHH!!! I DON"T KNOW IF I SHOULD GET IT OR CUT UP MY CREDIT CARD BEFORE I DO!!!!
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Thumbs up Go figure

I will take kayakerinme caching this weekend up towards the event. We'll see who's better. You and your new shiny thing. Or me and my navigator with our " Old Trusty" etrex and Vista. LOL Be careful I don't push you down and take it.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

I spent some time following the geocaching.com thread on this, and have to ask a question.

What "basepoint" do they use when they're talking about "accuracy"?

I've had a lot of comments about one of my caches - that the coordinates are 30-50 feet off. Yet I've rechecked it several timnes, and my supposedly-accurate 60c has it within 2 feet consistently.

If these guys talking about "accuracy" of their units, and are using someone elses cahce coordinates to go by, who is to say that the original coordinates aren't off to begin with?

After all, a stopped watch is correct twice a day!

I've been thinking of establishing a "reference point" cache (something I've seen several times in Canada), with the cooridnates extablished by a professional surveyer with coordinates a lot more accurate than we can get with handhelds.

Any comments?

Default My thoughts about accuracy

I, too, have followed some of those conversations and they seem to go 'round and 'round.

I don't know how a GPSr determines its accuracy. Nor, I suspect, would I stay awake for the explanation. Anecdotaly I can say that the alleged +/- value of the 76CSx has been smaller than the Vista C.

That said, I got this unit for three reasons (in order): auto-routing, tides, and the hope that under tree cover or in cities I'd have fewer lost receptions and less bouncing. A larger map memory was partially a consideration but I can live with what the eTrex provides.

Note that accuracy is not on the list. With goecaching I don't have any control over the waypoint that is dropped by the person placing the cache. As has been said, what fun would it be if we all had 5-decimal place accuracy?

As for creating the reference waypoint, if I went to it and found my GPSr was off by some measure, how would that knowledge help me?

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    I spent some time following the geocaching.com thread on this, and have to ask a question.

What "basepoint" do they use when they're talking about "accuracy"?

I've had a lot of comments about one of my caches - that the coordinates are 30-50 feet off. Yet I've rechecked it several timnes, and my supposedly-accurate 60c has it within 2 feet consistently.

If these guys talking about "accuracy" of their units, and are using someone elses cahce coordinates to go by, who is to say that the original coordinates aren't off to begin with?

After all, a stopped watch is correct twice a day!

I've been thinking of establishing a "reference point" cache (something I've seen several times in Canada), with the cooridnates extablished by a professional surveyer with coordinates a lot more accurate than we can get with handhelds.

Any comments?
    We allready do have a way to check that, it is a benchmark on the GC.com site.

Quote Originally Posted by robt
    We allready do have a way to check that, it is a benchmark on the GC.com site.
    I thought of that, but I figure a "benchmark" established with GPS system would be more appropriate (accurate?) than a bench mark established 50-60 years ago with a transit and tape. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    I thought of that, but I figure a "benchmark" established with GPS system would be more appropriate (accurate?) than a bench mark established 50-60 years ago with a transit and tape. LOL!

hmm, I did not think of that, I was just thinking that it the navy uses them on the base to callibrate aircraft that they would be considered accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by robt
    hmm, I did not think of that, I was just thinking that it the navy uses them on the base to callibrate aircraft that they would be considered accurate.
    Are we talking about the same type of "benchmark"???

i'm not sure, either, what type of benchmarks you are talking about. the ones i have found have mostly been way off. but they sure are fun to find. too bad they don't count. oh, right, the numbers don't count. lol
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"