vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using GSAK

Default Using GSAK

Don't know how many of the members in here use GSAK (geocaching swiss army knife) but there now is a specific forum by Clyde, the developer of GSAK, to answer any questions about it here:

http://www.gsak.net/board/

Maybe a good subject for a poll too would be how many members do use GSAK?
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I have been using it for almost two years. Great program that does it all from the geocaching perspective. I also use cachemate for my paperless caching.

It makes it easy to keep track of not only the caches, but First to Finds too.

Cache on!
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

is the forum confusing???? cuz i'm still tryin to figure out how to use the darn program
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Just post a question and I'm sure someone, if not Clyde himself will be happy to help you out.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

by posting a question... do you mean hear or on the website?? what color post-it note should i use??? last week i used a yellow post it and stuck it right in the middle of my screen... it stayed there for a whole week with no response, i finally got tired of trying to see through it while i was typing and took it off....
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Default What I use GSAK for...

I figured I'd let everyone know how/why I use GSAK currently. I'd love to know how/why other people use it.

I generally use it to import pocket queries from geocaching.com. I have one for the York area and one for the Portland area and use GSAK to combine them and eliminate duplicates. If needed, I update our Garmin Vista C with the waypoints. I will then export the database as a GSX file and use Spinner on it to create web pages I can then import into the Palm via Plucker.

I haven't had much trouble using GSAK. One thing I have noticed with my whole paperless process is that if the GSX file contains more than a couple hundred caches, the Plucker process takes forever to run (with 3 levels of links set).

I'm sure there are 100 other uses for it. What are some of the most useful that others are using?

Team Afrofish

Quote Originally Posted by TeamAfrofish

I'm sure there are 100 other uses for it. What are some of the most useful that others are using?

Team Afrofish
    I like it because it's so versatile. You can do any geocaching function with it. Import pocket queries, manipulate the data any way you want, export it to your GPS, Palm, Laptop maps (it supports almost any mapping software), etc.

I also like the way you can create filters to pull out any range of caches to export, delete, etc.

If there's anything I need to do with geocaching data that isn't included in GSAK, I haven't found it yet...

Smile It is the BEST

I love it for its ability to get caches within a few miles of a line. I get pocket queries for southern VT, southern NH, and areas around Portland and Waterville. Since I travel a lot between NY and ME, I have saved line searches of the routes I use most frequently. I search for all caches within 5 miles of my planned route and save them to a trip database. Then I add searches for all the caches within 30 miles of Portland and Waterville. Everything gets sent to the GPS and to a Cachemate file for the Palm. With the GPS in the car operating on the 12 v. adapter I just watch for the caches to appear on screen and decide if I want to stop.

A house is not a home without a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabby
    I love it for its ability to get caches within a few miles of a line. I get pocket queries for southern VT, southern NH, and areas around Portland and Waterville. Since I travel a lot between NY and ME, I have saved line searches of the routes I use most frequently. I search for all caches within 5 miles of my planned route and save them to a trip database. Then I add searches for all the caches within 30 miles of Portland and Waterville. Everything gets sent to the GPS and to a Cachemate file for the Palm. With the GPS in the car operating on the 12 v. adapter I just watch for the caches to appear on screen and decide if I want to stop.
    I agree. We did this when we went to Illinois this summer, and it was great, only I filtered for caches within 2 miles of our route as we didn't have a lot of time to stop and search.

Can't beat GSAK! LOL!

Default I knew I'd learn something new

I have wanted the ability to filter for caches within a few miles of a route. We drove down to Philadelphia a few months back and I ran some pocket queries around certain areas I knew we'd be stopping but I know we drove by I don't know how many that would have been great to stop at.

Do you just run a bunch of pocket queries along the route and then use GSAK to do the filtering to export?

I know that GSAK exports directly to cachemate but unfortunately I don't use that one.

Any fans of using cachemate over Spinner/Plucker?

Thanks for giving something interesting to try!