vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: FFJake gives blood

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    I am ashamed to admit that I have never gave blood. I dont know why , I probably should cause some day I'm sure I will need it. Oh well, I am an organ donor if that helps.
    well consider yourself asked now you have to go, or your overwhelming guilt will one day be too much to bear while your driving down the road by yourself one day, and you'll just burst into tears because you'll be thinking of all the lives that could have been saved by giving less than an hour of your time and a pint of blood. and your eyes will be so full of tears that you wont be able to see where you're going and your car will drift off the road into a tree and you'll be seriously injured and the paramedics will show up on the scene and theyll drag you out of the car and stuff you in the back of the ambulance and you'll be laying there saying to yourself, "thank God they showed up just in time to save my life" and at just that moment you'll hear one of them say "Uh-Oh, we don't have any blood in stock that matches your blood type, we won't be able to save you today... so sorry" and in your final moments you'll be saying to yourself "Arrrg! Why are people so greedy that they can't spend an hour to donate one lousy pint of blood that couldve save my life tod........"
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    well consider yourself asked now you have to go, or your overwhelming guilt will one day be too much to bear while your driving down the road by yourself one day, and you'll just burst into tears because you'll be thinking of all the lives that could have been saved by giving less than an hour of your time and a pint of blood. and your eyes will be so full of tears that you wont be able to see where you're going and your car will drift off the road into a tree and you'll be seriously injured and the paramedics will show up on the scene and theyll drag you out of the car and stuff you in the back of the ambulance and you'll be laying there saying to yourself, "thank God they showed up just in time to save my life" and at just that moment you'll hear one of them say "Uh-Oh, we don't have any blood in stock that matches your blood type, we won't be able to save you today... so sorry" and in your final moments you'll be saying to yourself "Arrrg! Why are people so greedy that they can't spend an hour to donate one lousy pint of blood that couldve save my life tod........"
    but then they could have my organs

but what if the ambulance driver is filling out your D.O.A. paperwork and gets a papercut while doing so, and he just happens to be a hemopheliac and bleeds to death because they don't have the right blood for him either, so the other paramedic has to drive and because he's not the driver he get's lost and ends up over in Jackman, by the time he realizes where he is, turns around and gets back to the hospital just in time to find out that your organs have already rotted away and been eaten by rabid squirrels????????

d’76 Guest

sounds like I'm sh!t out of luck

So what did the wife think of the gift?? did you wrap it with the cookie?? I give blood often and my light hearted sense of humor/stipidity really adds to the atmosphere, those questionaires kill me, every time i start i always just say "NO" right off, and then the nurse always goes into an in depth explanation of why i have to answer every question. last time i went i got a pretty nice long sleeve shirt. giving blood is cool
    I bought her some amethyst earrings, a new phone, a throw blanket and a bunch of other gifts and to be honest I think she was most impressed with the fact that I gave blood in her name. I suppose it was the fact that I did something she felt was important that was the most meaningful gift of all . . . especially since it was something I didn't have any desire to do at first. Now? Now I can't wait to donate again . . . loved those cookies.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy6
    Just gave blood today for the first time in over 20 years or so. It was a good feeling and hope I will continue to do so from now on.
    Did you tell them that I motivated ya?

P.S. Did you save some cookies for me?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    I am ashamed to admit that I have never gave blood. I dont know why , I probably should cause some day I'm sure I will need it. Oh well, I am an organ donor if that helps.
    Dave you can consider me like one of those zealous new converts . . . trust me on this . . . it didn't take up much time, it was wicked easy to do (you just lie there and afterwards you eat cookies), it was nearly pain-free (except for those questions about the Congolese chimpanzees since that brought back all those painful memories so very long ago with Coco and I ). I know my article was done with a humorous bent, but I have to tell you that it was an eye-opening experience for me. Try it sometime. The blood donor center here in Bangor does a drive every Thursday and Friday I believe or you can check out the area for a local blood drive.

Incidentally, I am also an organ donor . . . but I figure if I can help someone now I might do so as well before I'm dead.

Actually we don't give blood on ambulances . . . with the one exception being LifeFlight -- the air ambulance.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    Actually we don't give blood on ambulances . . . with the one exception being LifeFlight -- the air ambulance.
    can't ya just play along for the sake of the motivational story?????

oh by the way... for those of you that are considering giving blood, or questioning giving, here's a website for ya

http://www.newenglandblood.org/maine/

i think a lot of people (DAVE) could find it interesting and helpful and possibly motivate them to help save lives

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    i've always tried for the big injuries to try to get a ride on a sikorsky, but alas to no avail all i have ever been able to get is a few nights in the ERs and some lousy microwave dinners

but i did get to sit in one once, it landed at a small airstrip near and my dad and i stopped and talked to the guys and they gave us the grand tour, amazing machines those are.