vb:literal>

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Web Site

Default Web Site

I was wondering if this site is costing someone to have it and they r absorbing all the cost. Its easy to see someone puts a lot of time in keeping this site running,
    i would like to thank ever who it is and if there is cost we should all pitch in and help.

just my thoughts thanks

Rick (ATTROLL) is the webmaster. We took a collection at an event and bought the software. There are no recurring costs that I know of, but I feel sure Rick would us know if there were! LOL!

(Thanks, Rick!)

Default I second that...

Thanks Attroll for all you do!

Time is money - Rick contributes a lot of his to keep us running and content. Thanks again to you and your family for sharing your time!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

He does a great job. I believe there is a annual fee, whethere it's monthly or yearly, we had talked about this at one point and there is a answer somewhere.

As long as you keep the color's of site ok... we like it.
    Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

Yes there are annual fees that are dues every year for three software packages. They include:
    The forum software = $30
    Links software = $10
    Photo software = $????

The photo software I am not sure about. I am using one registered to one of my other sites that does not exist anymore and the renewal period expired a few years ago. I have probably been pressing my lick using it. So I might have to repurchase it if they ever catch on. If we get caught it is $129 and $39 a year to renew it.

As I have told others and mention before. This site is on another server I am using for one of my other web sites. When I did this a while back when I created the site it was not a problem because my other site had the room. But since then my other site has grown more then I had expected. This is good in a sense because it is succeeding where I wanted it to. But in doing so the site is going to have to move from the server it is on someday. Hopefully not right away. If we have to get our own server we are looking at it costing $300 a month. I know your all thinking $300 a month, WOW. Well your right it is a lot of money. But the other site is 100 times what our site here is. We get an average of 200 to 300 post a day sometimes. We also have over 100 to 200 users online at one time.

Now you wondering when I am going to drop the ball here and say something like I can not longer host this site with my other site. Well I am not going to do that. I have been contemplating ways around this and I promise I will not do that. I will find a way to keep this site up and running as long as I am alive. Adding the google adds to the bottom of the site has help some. It bring in a little and I think we should be all set for the time being. I have also been thinking of some other ideas but I don't know how well they would go over with everyone here. Here are some of the ideas. Offering some extended access to some things here on the site and things of that sort for a yearly donation. The donation would be very minimal. I was thinking something like $3 to $5 a year. I can go into some further detail if there is any interest in my ideas?
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    I can go into some further detail if there is any interest in my ideas?
    Well of course we're interested Rick!!

We'd also like to thank you for all you do here Rick. So...from Smitty & Co. to you, a BIG thank you!!
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    I have been contemplating ways around this and I promise I will not do that. I will find a way to keep this site up and running as long as I am alive. Adding the google adds to the bottom of the site has help some. It bring in a little and I think we should be all set for the time being. I have also been thinking of some other ideas but I don't know how well they would go over with everyone here. Here are some of the ideas. Offering some extended access to some things here on the site and things of that sort for a yearly donation. The donation would be very minimal. I was thinking something like $3 to $5 a year. I can go into some further detail if there is any interest in my ideas?
    Some time ago I suggested creating some sort of formal organization - and even paying DUES - but was generally dumped on.

I bring it up again because I think it's a good idea - one sure way to keep the web site up - and besides, I'm used to getting dumped on.

So...

Lets discuss the idea of a Maine Geocaching Association again! As Rick says, paid membership would bring added benefits, but nobody would be excluded (similar to free and "premium" membership in geocaching.com).

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?

Lets discuss the idea of a Maine Geocaching Association again! As Rick says, paid membership would bring added benefits, but nobody would be excluded (similar to free and "premium" membership in geocaching.com).

Here's a yea vote!! I like the idea.
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

Default A good idea

I will agree with the idea of a dues paying formal association. The first problem I see is that there will have to be some administration. Someone to collect the dues, and record who has paid and who hasen't. And I agree that if it's a pay site then access will have to be limited for those who choose not to pay. Otherwise there would be no incentive to pay up. I think $5 a year would be more than reasonable for the benefits we get out of the website alone. If only 100 people paid that would be $500 a year. More that enough for site fees and enough left over to have a "members only" lunch paid for by the association. Or something of that nature. Or we could simpley roll it into the next years budget. It would be easy enough to have a vote on things through the website. Make the vote a members only option. I would be interested in being part of an administration team if I was asked. In whatever capacity was needed.
    Happy Trails!