vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is that sign?

Hybrid View

Default Where is that sign?

There's a famous sign that has names of towns and mileages. I've seen pictures of it but I don't know where it is. No need to get GPS coordinates but some general directions would help.

The sign reads something like:
    Norway 14 Mi >
    Paris 15 Mi >
    < Mexico 37 Mi
    < Peru 46 Mi

Thanks, Barry

Albany (near North Waterford)
    N44° 14.651 W70° 47.085

There is another similar one over in Casco that has Presidents and distances.
    Madison, Monroe,Lincoln etc... It's a vertual too.

Cliff

ya know, a real geocacher wouldve gone down to Hussies general store, bought the post card and a $4 map. plotted out all the destinations on the map, then averaged out the central location just by guessing from the mileages and the points, then would have driven to the general area (say within about 10 miles) pulled the car over, and pull out the gps, find a road that goes in the general area, then take an immediate left turn into the woods looking for it.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    ya know, a real geocacher wouldve gone down to Hussies general store, bought the post card and a $4 map. plotted out all the destinations on the map, then averaged out the central location just by guessing from the mileages and the points, then would have driven to the general area (say within about 10 miles) pulled the car over, and pull out the gps, find a road that goes in the general area, then take an immediate left turn into the woods looking for it.

Ok, here's your challenge: Where is the twin to this sign? Hint: it is not any where near Albany!

d’76 Guest

Are you trying to do the Virtual without having to go there. That almost sounds like cheating. Here is the page of that one on the web.
    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...1-ac01a55667fd

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    Well, I never claimed to be a real geocacher. Of course I could do all that but I needed a picture of the real thing which I couldn't find. I found a lot that are supposed to look like that sign but I wasn't sure. That, and my GPS is on loan and is on its way to Aruba for a week. I figured one of you would have the answer

Well funny you should ask cause I took a photo of one that is located in South China and I included it in a recent Waymarking category called Small town Big name. It was previously a locationless cache and I transferred it to Waymarking.com. It is located on Rt 32 right near the intersection with Rt 3. Here are the coordinates for it if you are interested and I will include a photo of it was well. Just click on the attached photo for the full screen view.
    N 44° 23.646 W 069° 34.730
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cache places 227 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	803 
Size:	174.4 KB 
ID:	113  
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Exclamation Busted?

Quote Originally Posted by bhansenme
    Well, I never claimed to be a real geocacher. Of course I could do all that but I needed a picture of the real thing which I couldn't find. I found a lot that are supposed to look like that sign but I wasn't sure. That, and my GPS is on loan and is on its way to Aruba for a week. I figured one of you would have the answer
    The picture is on it's way. I am also going to watch the cache for your...post.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by bhansenme
    There's a famous sign that has names of towns and mileages. I've seen pictures of it but I don't know where it is. No need to get GPS coordinates but some general directions would help.

The sign reads something like:
    Norway 14 Mi >
    Paris 15 Mi >
    < Mexico 37 Mi
    < Peru 46 Mi

Thanks, Barry
    It would be in China, Me.
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!