vb:literal>

Thread: Crows

Default Crows

I was thinking of someone special at the time.

Cecil & Brian, were telling stories of the curious goings-on in their area of Maine. They had some power outages -- but not from the ice storm!

Last weekend, a flock of 300 or more crows descended on the Bucksport library, and surrounded the library in the trees. Dozens of people reported seeing them, and Monday morning, the entire railing, and walk way was covered in crow mess, so much that you couldn't walk or touch the railing, going down the walkway, without getting covered in it.

This alone would be cause for great concern, but nothing strange beyond the normal Bucksport everyday, heck we expect to be descended on by crows. It's a given. The other morning power was knocked out for 3 towns, Bucksport, Verona and Orland. Thousands of people were without power. The line guy, fixing the transformers, said the substation at the mill was hit with a huge flock of crows, and they actually blew it up there was so many, landing on the wires, and messing on everything. The substation is within feet of the Red Paint Cemetery, located at the Mill on Indian Point. Once the fire died down, they saw hundreds of dead and crispy crows littering the area.
    What a mess! Were the crows drawn to the Red Paint site? We'll never know.

Crows are admired by many (including myself), but despised by many more as pests. Portland, Maine, is home to huge clouds of roosting crows, which people see in the bare trees in Deering Oaks come winter evenings. It's a remarkable sight.

In a Time Magazine article from Monday, Mar. 31, 1924, titled "Vermin," an account arose of a contest run by gunpowder makers E. I. DuPont de Nemours & Co., Inc. The firm offered $2,500 in merchandise prizes "to the individual or club which, at the end of a three months' season, has killed the most crows or other birds or animals termed 'vermin' in the prospectus of their competition."

Maine's own governor is quoted in the article, as he reacted to a plan for wholesale slaughter of the ebon birds.

To his people of the State of Maine, Governor Percival Proctor Baxter made proclamation as follows: "It would seem that a great corporation like the one that controls the powder industry in America, with millions of assets, would find other ways of increasing its profits instead of by inciting the men and boys of this country to kill one of the farmers' friends, the crow."

"I am indignant that such a prize has been offered, and hope that the people of Maine will not participate in the contest."
    Historic Maine Governor Percival Baxter, folks, champion of crows everywhere!
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Cue the theme music from Alfred Hitchcock's movie "The Birds."
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

MY HERO, YAY!!!!!!
    Save the crow, shoot the jerks. Now there's a money maker!!!!!!!!!!!
    1924, good lord.
    I've heard people say how they hate crows, Good Gravey.
    In a Native American story, the crow returned the sun to the people after it was stolen by the evil king.
    I have several dozen crows around our property all year long. They NEVER tore open my trash, nor did they ever dig up my yard for grubs. That job is soley for The Racoons that invaded my shed and the skunk that lives in the brush pile, and the Turkeys that just passed through.
    And Geese. Ooooooooo, nasty poops. In Providence , RI it's the Pigeons. In the tropics , it's the Macaws. Go Figure !!!!!
    Anyway, thank you E for a really cool story and proof, that hating things because they eat and poop, throws us backwards to a time of ignorance.

JMHHHO

Opalsns

Default Crows

I found a neat story in the local paper the other day by a Colby professor answering peoples questions about the large group (flock, murder, pod?) of crows hanging out near the Wal-mart in Waterville. It's pretty inpressive to see 200 crows take off all at once. Here's the link: http://morningsentinel.mainetoday.co...s/5738107.html

Why it's in the sport section is beyond me.
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

There's some animals I'd select to be wiped off the earth before crows, but I'd still trade 50 crows for one turkey vulture. Those are my favorite.

We have crows try to get into our trash about once every two months, can't shoot them here in the city so other methods have to be improvised.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    We have crows try to get into our trash about once every two months, can't shoot them here in the city so other methods have to be improvised.
    Sheesh! The local grocery store gives all their stale bakery products to my Dad, who spreads them alongside the road home for the birds. Mainly crows.

Anyone who followed him down the road as he heaves hunks of bread and stuff out the window would think he's littering! LOL!

Trash Barrels work well in keeping birds out.
    Racoons, on the other hand ...

Opalsns

Quote Originally Posted by Opalsns View Post
    Trash Barrels work well in keeping birds out.
    Racoons, on the other hand ...

Opalsns
    Pay money for cans to keep crows out of something I am getting rid of anyway? No way! Never give in to the enemy! And besides, then I couldn't complain about them!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Pay money for cans to keep crows out of something I am getting rid of anyway? No way! Never give in to the enemy!
    Now you can have a CITO EVENT in your yard !!!
    TEE HEE