vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maine geocoin tracking

Default Maine geocoin tracking

Is someone going to get something going for our Maine Geocoins for tracking or are we going to blow off everyone that bought coins and wants to send them out and track them? I have been receiving emails from coin buyers that want to know where are tracking program is. What am I suppose to do write then back and say to bad we are not going to have a tracking program?
    Blazing Troll

I'm all for it if there's some way you can incorporate one on this site. we definitely don't want to go the EXPENSIVE geocaching.com route...

Default Tracking was not offered!

When we sold the coins, we specifically said they were not trackable. I could not find a reference on the site, but I'm sure it is in the forums somewhere. Rather than "blowing off" anyone, you could send the link to them.

Having said that, there is nothing stopping us from adding tracking. There are only two ways I know of to add tracking now. Either use the sequence number and create a web page (hosted here or somewhere else) or drill a hole and add a TB tag.

Here's an example of a crude tracking site http://www.geocky.org/coins It has been vandalized and most coins have only one tracking entry.

Do we have anyone who knows how to make a good tracking webpage? I'd love to help, but it would not be bullet proof!

How will the next coin be tracked?

I don't see where the confusion is. We specifically said that the coin is not trackable on GC.com or elsewhere so I don't know where everyone is getting this information. I know we had discussed this same topic at length on the original geocoin thread but that's all it was was just a discussion with nothing concrete on the coin being trackable. It was a long thread maybe 6 or 7 months in length so maybe some of the original members or other visitors to the thread topic saw something that we might be tracking it and assumed that it would be,who knows?
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I don't know how eveyone else feels about the coin being trackable on GC.com but for myself the $1.50 that they charge for each trackable coin is a little steep in my opinion. But if that is what the general public wants then maybe we ought to at least consider it on the next coin that we develop. Just my 2 cents
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Post My 2 cents worth

I believe that the majority of coins are now considered "collectables" and that a coin place in a cache , trackable or not, will soon disappear.

If it means paying 0.50 to 1.50 per coin for all the coins so that a few people can watch their coin vanish in a few months, I say forget it. Let them add a TB to their coin.

People are trading coins for other states coins and selling them on ebay for a lot more than the initial cost. As time goes on the 2005 Maine coin will become rarer and rarer.

I say leave it be, it is not a trackable coin.

Well, thats my 2 cents,

A house is not a home without a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabby
    I believe that the majority of coins are now considered "collectables" and that a coin place in a cache , trackable or not, will soon disappear.

If it means paying 0.50 to 1.50 per coin for all the coins so that a few people can watch their coin vanish in a few months, I say forget it. Let them add a TB to their coin.

People are trading coins for other states coins and selling them on ebay for a lot more than the initial cost. As time goes on the 2005 Maine coin will become rarer and rarer.

I say leave it be, it is not a trackable coin.

Well, thats my 2 cents,
    I agree. When we first started out geocaching we bought a couple coins from groundspeak that were trackable on gc.com and placed them in caches only to have them disappear in the first or second cache they made it to. This was a huge disappointment to both my wife and myself but it really upset my young girls (7 & 12) who really wanted to see them travel.
    Maybe I shouldn't say that's my 2 cents worth for fear someone will take my 2 cents and keep them as collectibles, LOL. So this is just my opinion!!
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

I agree with most everyone sentiments on making the current coin trackable. Firstly, the current coin was never intented to be. Secondly, Maine's first geocoin is more of a collectors item than a TB and as such would soon be removed out of circulation and into private collections. Thirdly, setting up a tracking program after the fact would be time consuming and may prove costly as more bandwidth is taken up by folk that normally don't visit the GeocachingMaine.org site.

Maybe we could propose a trackable coin with a future minting but the current coin should stay as it is. As far as fielding questions about trackability we could come up with a FAQ page about MaineGeocoins link it to the geocachingmaine.org forums.

Smile

Our 2005 Maine coin is not trackable unless a cacher adds a TB tag...even a system at this point would be impossible to recreate since activation codes were not sent with the coins. There is no record of who got what number coin. We had looked at many options and discovered the volatility of such sites (like the one Tat mentioned) and also the idea of creating our "own" tracking site. The later would be very time consuming and a potential nightmare. Just getting those coins out the way we did cost Sudonim a great deal of time, energy, and lost sleep. It would be an absolute nightmare to have to add in establishing and logging each coin, it's number and it's activation code, and then getting them all attached to the correct coin, in addition to shipping, counting, sorting, taking orders, taking payments, following up, emails, more emails and even more emails... Impossible? No...they do it every day. But it is not a one man job.

I see the potention for another coin. I also see the possibility of having it trackable through gc.com so that we can claim a Maine Geocoin icon for ourselves before somebody else does....But it may be a limited release, only available to Maine cachers...only 100-200 minted....remember, this is our coin and we can do whatever we want. This whole geocoin craze has gone NUTS. For instance, you can cut a coin, limited edition, and get 100.00 for it on ebay. That's HOW they are selling them now. No prebuy, no nothing. Sometimes I wonder what is going to happen to this whole geocoin thing....will it continue to escalate and make the coins even more valuable...or will it fall flat on it's face when some one comes out with the bigger better tradable. Maybe that's what we should be working on. Let's think like Moun10bike did so many years ago and discuss a new tradable that people will go nuts over. Think of the bandwidth we could buy, and remember that Maine Geocaching Facility we were all talking about??? Woo hoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun
    As far as fielding questions about trackability we could come up with a FAQ page about MaineGeocoins link it to the geocachingmaine.org forums.
    Great idea Steve!!
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!