vb:literal>

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Winslow Winter Weekend Waypoint Warrior Wingding 2

d’76 Guest

For two years I have been trying to go to this event and next year I will. I have been to this place before and all I can say is that if they ordered there food and sat waiting for someone to come to tem then they got what they deserved. Who says that a fellow cacher would not have thought that they where just customers to begin with. I think it takes on in ever crowd to bitch and this time it was theres. If they dont go to another event so what I will sleep fine. Oh and further more you cant satisfy everyone all the time.

I hear it was a great time I wish I could have been there.

Quote Originally Posted by cameoooooo
    I have to say that I emailed them (Hanson Road Explorers) the minute I saw their post and have yet to hear anything back.
    As the event "owners", we got emails of all the posts to the event site. I spend most of my day next to the computer, and emailed them IMMEDIATELY upon receipt of their note. They should still have been at the computer when my apologu arrived, but I haven't heard anything either.

RULOST2? and I have been discussing this. As always, 20-20 hindsight is great. We NEVER expected that many people. In the military, after an "event", you have a session called "lessons learned".

I hope the next person/group to host an event takes heed! LOL!

d’76 Guest

Oh and furthermore...
    Why is it the other cachers responsibilty to introduce them selves and then introduce a couple of newbies to everyone else. I remember my first event. Constance and I didnt know anyone. So guess what we did. We asked. First I met the guys that hang out around the tb table, you know the hard core group and we all talked trail talk. Then we just talked to others how hard is that.

Pretty much every indoor event I've been to has had similar problems--people come and go, the room is crowded, if you are new you tend to feel uncomfortable, etc.

While many of us "regulars" are content to have a nice meal, talk to friends and make our own amusement, I think that many people, new folks especially, expect to have some sort of on-going "ringmaster" and/or entertainment of some sort. This is much easier to do out of doors, like at Brad's end of year event, or Rick's Halloween event. There is only so much fun you can have indoors with a GPSr. Personally, I enjoy both the low-key events like Bruce's as well as the outdoors extravaganzas.

There were LOTS of people in the room this weekend, but I don't think it was any worse than the Geocoin meeting in Brewer. Everyone had name tags, and Bruce made a nice welcoming speech and invited anyone that wanted to talk Geocaching or ask questions to please do so. If folks arrived late, they might have missed it.

That being said, as awesome as Big G's is, I think a larger facility might be a good idea for next year. With the exponential growth of Geocaching, I'm sure there will be even more participants next year.

And finally, as has been stated above, there is no way you can ever please everyone--there will always be gripes (and I've heard them about pretty much every event I've attended) and putting on an event is lots of work, and pretty much a thankless task. To those who have put the time and money into putting on events, thank you!

Well, I guess I was not the only one who emailed them as soon as they saw the post. I did so as well and have yet to get a reply. Maybe at the next event we should have some sort of individual introduction or something but I know some people wouldn't like that as well either. Guess you can't please everyone.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Lightbulb Brainstorming...

Geocaching is what you make of it. If you are a quiet person, you tend to cache alone and don't attend events. If you are more outgoing, then you enjoying caching with groups and your up and chatting with everyone at the events. We can't change that. However, as members of this community and event hosts, we can do things to encourage the behavior.

For example, KK played a fun little game at the Cache Bashe that got a lot of people talking and scurring around trying to figure out Disney characters...it had nothing to do with caching but created a lot of laughs and enjoyment. Also at another Cache Bashe, I've had people come up to me during the cache dash and introduce themselves. Another example is after seeing log after log of another cacher, I couldn't wait to meet them. At Big G's, I knew that cacher was going to be there and searched that person out and introduced myself with, "So you are the infamous (insert cacher name here)!!!!!" Another item that creates bonding are the door prize drawings...

Another idea would be to have a few minutes for the host to read all the names on the sign up sheet and the cachers could just wave so you have a face to go with a name. That might lead to further conversation since you already know who you are talking to.

Maybe we should have a couple of people who are willing to befriend the new cachers and show them the ropes. They could prearrange to meet at a nearby cache before the event, or a little early at the event so that they could talk and chat about the game.

We have talked many times before about having paperless demos, gpsr demos and the like. We could maybe look at that again and see if there is still interest.

When I'm at a cache event, I spend most of my time talking about memories of past caches, events, and expeditions that I have been on. These new people don't have that experience under their belt and don't really have much to talk about.

Any solid plans for another event soon?

Quote Originally Posted by cameoooooo

Any solid plans for another event soon?
    I understand that Rick is/was considering another event at his house in June, but that he is afraid he might have 100 or so people show up! LOL! I think he should host one in April. I'd live to see him in an Easter Bunny costume...

Beach Comber is talking about having a "Beach Party" event this summer - I think we need to hold her feet to the fire to make sure she has it.

I don't care for lobster, but I know a lot of people do.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Beach Comber is talking about having a "Beach Party" event this summer - I think we need to hold her feet to the fire to make sure she has it.
    Ouch, ouch - I can feel the heat of the fire. I'm still mulling this over and trying to figure out the best spot. I keep toying with the idea of Two Lights State Park which has a great pavillion in case it rains, places to barbecue, play horse shoes, etc. but it isn't right on the water. The water is just a short walk away though. And there is an entrance fee.

There is also Crescent Beach, but there are fairly small areas to set up to barbecue and if it is on the beach itself could be in sunshine without reprieve.

I have also talked with TAT about co-hosting his Agementicus cache. Though I love the beach, I am more interested in holding something in the southern part of the state as requested so many times before, than being at the beach. I welcome ideas and ssugestions from others!

Hmmmmmmm - I'll keep thinking about it and come up with a plan.

As for the event. I have mixed feelings about the situation. I agree, it is not possible to make everyone happy. I make it a point to introduce myself to cachers I don't know at every event, but it is not possible to meet every new person - especially as the crowd grows. I know I introduced myself to least 6-8 people I hadn't met before on Saturday. Unfortunately, I guess the Hanson's were't amongst them.

I am now finding that if I circulate amongst the group I can hardly even say hello to all the people I already know. If I can have a full conversation it is a bonus. I am always torn between catching up with existing friends and meeting new people.

The events have been great and I have appreciated each and every opportunity to get together - even when I went to my first event (GeoChicks 2004) and was shy! Yes, I was shy!! In fact, a few people I met said that they didn't remember me - hehehehe Go figure!! Now it's hard to get me to be quiet
    Last edited by Beach Comber; 03-02-2006 at 01:32 PM.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Cameo, those are great ideas, and easily accomplished outside (well, unless you have the bad luck to have pouring rain that day). To happen at an inside event, I think we need a large, open room. Small venues like Big G's, the pub we were at in Brewer, etc. just don't seem conducive to introductions, games, etc.

Also, some sort of cache placed for the event is a great idea. It was "before your time", but there was a cool event in Bowdoin in the winter. They did a "poker run" with 5 caches of playing cards around a trail. Then at the event everyone compared hands, with prizes to the winner. Things like that help with "bonding" the new folks. It is, though, tough to beat overnight events for getting to know people--once you've spent the night at their house, or shared a campfire/tent, you get to know them pretty well.

wbdent I stand corrected in what I said and I did correct it on GC. Weh nI read there statement I thought they said they did see the room with the travel bugs. I did not see the “n’t” on the word “did”. Sorry. I read it to fast I guess.

wbdent I was one of the ones that told you that we should keep it hear because myself and many other really like the place. But now that this has happened and we seem to have out grown the room. We might have to move on to someplace with a larger room.

wbdent I did arrive 1 hour late and made it at noon. I did not see anyone greeting people at the door. But then I did not notice because I knew most of the people there. So I may have over looked that. I was there for the raffle tickets and the 15 minute talk. But that did not help anyone that did not know what room it was in or was in another room.

wbdent I am not saying this was a bad event or that the hoist was bad. This was a great event. I love this place. The only thing I did not like about it was the long narrow room. It seems to be very noisy in that room also. It may be because of the shape of the room. But I really like this place. It seems like we have out grown the room.

wbdent I think they missed us because there were no signs and there were three rooms to choose from. They probably poked their head in the rooms to the left and though that was the only room and did not see the room to the right once you go in there. That is just my assumption.
    Blazing Troll