vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ticks in January

Unhappy Ticks in January

Who would have thought? We were really enjoying the beautiful weather today (highs in the upper 50's). We were nonetheless surprised to find 4 ticks on Moxie when we got back to the car after a cache. We checked her over and didn't find any more, but we could very easily have missed them if we hadn't spotted the first of the little buggers as she was sitting on my lap, getting ready to get in her crate. Yuck!!!!
    We thought we'd pass along the tick warning/reminder so that those of you with geohounds can give them a look over. If Moxie had gone right into her crate, we would never had known she picked them up until after they had a chance to attach.
    After that, we had the "I think something is crawling on me" itchies the rest of the day! Yech!!!

The sand fleas were alive and jumping today at the beaches too! LOL
    ~ Beach Comber ~

d’76 Guest

places that have moose have ticks called winter ticks that hang on through the winter. Last winter I was snow shoeing and found two bull moose. I followed them around through February and found places where the moose had completed destroyed an area. There where several places that I found that where covered in blood. There where also many places that I found where they had bedded down and there where several spots of blood. When I spoke with Karen Morris State moose biologist she mentioned that this time of year the ticks on the moose get full of blood and itch. The moose are scraping the ticks off and when they lay down the ticks burst. When I asked how big they get she said as big as a grape or as big as an adult theumb nail. In canada they have moose that have died from infestations of these ticks.

Very gross I thought.

What has this world come to when in the dead od winter you cant escape ticks.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    When I spoke with Karen Morris State moose biologist she mentioned that this time of year the ticks on the moose get full of blood and itch. The moose are scraping the ticks off and when they lay down the ticks burst. When I asked how big they get she said as big as a grape or as big as an adult theumb nail.
    Very gross I thought.
    Ick ick ick ick ick ick ick!!!!!!

ummm yeah, so how bout that football thing goin on?!?!?!
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    ummm yeah, so how bout that football thing goin on?!?!?!
    Sheesh! Hiram you CHANGED THE SUBJECT! Trying to upset Haffy?

STEELERS ALLTHE WAY!

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Sheesh! Hiram you CHANGED THE SUBJECT! Trying to upset Haffy?

STEELERS ALLTHE WAY!
    Did you see the home run the Steelers made from the 3 point line the other night?

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976
    Did you see the home run the Steelers made from the 3 point line the other night?
    Ya, but I've never seen the puck come off the end of a bat quite like that one....should be worth 4 points.
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

I never saw a snowmobile bounce off a tree either, but now I know they do.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty & Co.
    Ya, but I've never seen the puck come off the end of a bat quite like that one....should be worth 4 points.
    ????? i thought football was that game where you run 4 yards then trip, run 4 yards then trip, run 4 yards then trip, then turn around and do it again. i didnt think there were pucks involved.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.