vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Archived Maine Caches

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    Bear in mind, according to gc.com's waypoint license agreement, we technically are not allowed to share our gpx files with any other members.
    I assume you are referring the portion of the licensing agreement which states "Licensee shall not remarket, resell, and/or redistribute the Data or any derived portion(s) of the Data in its digital form to unlicensed third parties"

I interpret that as you cannot share the data with any non-paying members, but it implies that it is ok to share that data with paying members because they could obtain this data on their own. I agree with not sharing pocket queries with non-paying members, but I see no problem with sharing data with other premium members.

I will not post my gpx of the archived Maine caches here, but I will gladly share it with any Premium Members who PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by tat
    This is not the exact wording, but it probably does capture the intent of the legal language.

But, we are allowed to discuss caches by title and waypoint! Here are some that died of natural causes. I did not include any that were removed at the request of the land owner because they should never have been in the data base.

GC3010 GCD0B GC26DE GC575A GC58DD GC5F9B GC1532 GC6190 GC61D3 GC33AA GC6035 GC95A0
    I find that funny, too - that we can't share the actual file, but we can list and link all the caches on a web page!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    There are well over 200 Maine caches that have been archived. Many of these will nearly imposible for users to locate because they have no finds.
    It sounds like you have a more complete list of archived Maine caches than I do. Would you be willing to share a list of GC numbers for the archived caches? I would like to compare them against the ones I already have. I would like to have a complete history of all the caches which have been placed in Maine. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Slate
    I assume you are referring the portion of the licensing agreement which states "Licensee shall not remarket, resell, and/or redistribute the Data or any derived portion(s) of the Data in its digital form to unlicensed third parties"

I interpret that as you cannot share the data with any non-paying members, but it implies that it is ok to share that data with paying members because they could obtain this data on their own. I agree with not sharing pocket queries with non-paying members, but I see no problem with sharing data with other premium members.

I will not post my gpx of the archived Maine caches here, but I will gladly share it with any Premium Members who PM me.
    I think the key phrase is "unlicensed third parties". Your GPX file is only licensed to you, not to any premium member. I know next to nothing about legal terms, but I do know I am correct reguarding this, only because I remember all the hoopla about it back when gpx files were first made available.

One way you can find some of the older approved caches is to look up some of the caches hidden by Maine's early cachers. You can find them by seeing who logged some of Maine's oldest caches. I may post a list, but I have about 500 gpx files to sort though to find the right one. I need to clean those out some day.

Here's an oldie that never got found: XA1(1-2)Si(3-2)O8 (GC19B7) by Besta, Jesse and Corey (2/2.5)

I'll see if I can find some time to find the right file.

I can certainly understand why Groundspeak would want to limit the commercial exploitation its data with the licensing agreement, but I don't see why it should limit the personal use and sharing of what is essentially public data. I guess it is just a bunch of legal stuff I can never hope to understand.

I have compiled my list partially by searching through some of the older caches and members that were around then, but it becomes very time consuming to track down the last few caches that I don't have yet. I was just hoping that by sharing some of the information on archived caches that others might have, we could build a complete history of geocaches in Maine.

Thanks for the cache you listed, that is one I am missing. I appreciate any help you might be able to give me in tracking down some of the other caches I am missing.

Does the licensing agreement only apply to gpx files? Can we freely share loc files?

Quote Originally Posted by Slate
    I can certainly understand why Groundspeak would want to limit the commercial exploitation its data with the licensing agreement, but I don't see why it should limit the personal use and sharing of what is essentially public data. I guess it is just a bunch of legal stuff I can never hope to understand.

I have compiled my list partially by searching through some of the older caches and members that were around then, but it becomes very time consuming to track down the last few caches that I don't have yet. I was just hoping that by sharing some of the information on archived caches that others might have, we could build a complete history of geocaches in Maine.

Thanks for the cache you listed, that is one I am missing. I appreciate any help you might be able to give me in tracking down some of the other caches I am missing.

Does the licensing agreement only apply to gpx files? Can we freely share loc files?

The GPX file format is a public domain format just like a jpg file, it contains data, I would belive that it is the data that would apply to the licence. Geocaching would have no right to licence a file that I created in Gsak and could not limit that. on the other hand I can see how they could licence the information that I recieve from them in anyform that I recieve it in.

Smile How about a cache that visited

There was a cache that started in Arizona and wanted to go to NY. I picked it up near the Portland Jet Port and brought it to Schenectady. It is now a permanent cache in Sodus, NY.

Here are the details.

Grubbers' Sodus Cache GC3A4C

October 21, 2002 by Sabby (653 found)
    The cache is in New York State. I hid the cache in a nearby nature preserve today. The coordinates are N42 48.183 W73 51.279. Suggested parking is at N42 48.274 W73 51.277. It is an easy 0.17 mile walk from the parking area to the cache.

September 1, 2002 by Sabby (653 found)
    I found it without much trouble, except for the fact that an employee did not like where I parked. I have the cache with me and will take it to New York State. I will post the coordinates when I have hidden it.

August 26, 2002 by Team Puffer Bill (165 found)
    The cache is out there again, this time at N 43 39.112, W 70 18.600.

July 20, 2002 by Team Puffer Bill (165 found)
    Found the cache for the second time. It has been too long in Arizona. I am headed east (Down East) in a week, so I have decided to slingshot this cache toward it's intended destination. I will let the owner know when I place it.

A house is not a home without a cat.

why cant we share gpx files?
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    why cant we share gpx files?
    Hiram, after 22 years in the military, I know one phrase you can use:

DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Hiram, after 22 years in the military, I know one phrase you can use:

DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL!

umm.... that doesn't help a whole lot
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.