vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Archived Maine Caches

Default Archived Maine Caches

How many archived caches are there in Maine? I have 196 in GSAK, but I'm sure there are some older ones that I am missing. Does anyone else have a gpx file of archived Maine caches they are willing to share with me so I can build a complete database?

Default Archived caches

How do You find them? and are they still laying out there?

Perhaps you could post your gpx file here.

Quote Originally Posted by DiverDave1998
    How do You find them? and are they still laying out there?
    You cannot find them on the Geocaching website by doing a search or a pocket query, as a result they aren't easy to find, but they are still listed on the Geocaching website. I have a lot of archived caches in GSAK because I just move them into another database when they are archived. I just like to keep a database of archived caches because sometimes it is interesting to see where caches have been, or to read through the logs surrounding their demise. Yes, I'm sure there are some geocaches out there even though they have been archived. Sometimes when an owner loses interest and doesn't maintain their cache, it just ends up as geo-trash.

Quote Originally Posted by tat
    Perhaps you could post your gpx file here.
    The file is 1.1 MB, I don't think I can attach a file that size. I'll share the gpx with anyone, just PM me your email address.

Hey thanks for the file of Maine archived caches Wade. Now I'll keep this as a separate database in GSAK. I don't think the file is too big,Rick has a 3MB limit on photos so this would be fine.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy6
    I don't think the file is too big,Rick has a 3MB limit on photos so this would be fine.
    I tried to upload the file, but the limit is listed at 195.3 KB for a zip file.

No you couldn't but I just changed the size for a zip file to 3.81 megs. As long as it does not get abused I will leave it at that.

The file sizes are different for each type of file extension. I have attached the extension size list. This is totally different from the gallery photo sizes. This list is just the attachment sizes for messages.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ext.gif 
Views:	615 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	115  
    Blazing Troll

There are well over 200 Maine caches that have been archived. Many of these will nearly imposible for users to locate because they have no finds. Some were placed with wrong coords and never found, but a larger percentage of them are caches which were never approved.

Bear in mind, according to gc.com's waypoint license agreement, we technically are not allowed to share our gpx files with any other members.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    ...according to gc.com's waypoint license agreement, we technically are not allowed to share our gpx files with any other members.
    This is not the exact wording, but it probably does capture the intent of the legal language.

But, we are allowed to discuss caches by title and waypoint! Here are some that died of natural causes. I did not include any that were removed at the request of the land owner because they should never have been in the data base.

GC3010 GCD0B GC26DE GC575A GC58DD GC5F9B GC1532 GC6190 GC61D3 GC33AA GC6035 GC95A0