vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: False PQ waypoint...

d’76 Guest

Default False PQ waypoint...

As many of you know, If you are a Premuim Member of GC.com you can download pocket quarries which is awesome since you don't have to hand enter coords to caches. And this way there is no wrong info sent to your gps and palm... Right?

Well maybe some one in here has experianced this before or can tell my why this happened.

For many threads I wouldnt care but for this one no Bull Sh*t this time. I would like for this one to stay on topic, I say that because if this is a legitate problem I will recommend this thread to others.

So here is the problem. Attached is a "false Pocket Quarry"

I zeroed out my gps at the spot that says Little Round Pond incorrect. I looked everywhere and no cache to be found and further more the directions and all that stuff didnt make any sense. After looking for along time and bushwacking nearly an 1/8 of a mile I read the cache mate file to find that the coords where way off and that it was rated a 1/2 so how can the pq file for the gps and the palm differ when they are the same file. After looking at the palm I hand entered to coords to the gps and walla I am 1.17 miles from the cache and the tresure chest is no where to be found. I get home and delete that cache and do another pocket quarry to find this time there is nothing wrong. I dont get it. Any suggestion would be great. And attached is also the link to the cache.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...5-86c00cfd90f7
    Last edited by d’76; 01-30-2006 at 08:31 PM.

Dave - whatever problems you had, I seriously doubt it was with the pocket QUERY (a quarry is where you get rocks...) from geocaching.com.

Perhaps there was a problem with the cache listing, but the pocket query just reports what it has in the data base.

Computers NEVER make mistakes, right?

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Dave - whatever problems you had, I seriously doubt it was with the pocket QUERY (a quarry is where you get rocks...) from geocaching.com.

Perhaps there was a problem with the cache listing, but the pocket query just reports what it has in the data base.

Computers NEVER make mistakes, right?

I think It might be just a quirk, I have enough of a time to trust my GPS but this was just weird

Dave is it possible the coords. were corrected between the pocket query and when you folks searched for the cache? I've never had what you describe happen to me, or at least not yet. Was this true for all the coords in the GPSr or just the one cache you described??

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun
    Dave is it possible the coords. were corrected between the pocket query and when you folks searched for the cache? I've never had what you describe happen to me, or at least not yet. Was this true for all the coords in the GPSr or just the one cache you described??
    This was instantanouse and was just this one. Thats why I cant figure this out. I hope it's nothing serious

If your palm pilot had the correct coords with the first pq, then I'd say there was a glitch in the transfer to the GPS. Skipped a digit or something. Do you know what the wrong coords were?

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    If your palm pilot had the correct coords with the first pq, then I'd say there was a glitch in the transfer to the GPS. Skipped a digit or something. Do you know what the wrong coords were?

I wish I could remember the correct coords. I just placed the cache symbol about where it was for the wrong one.

since you want to keep this thread legit and on topic I won't post anything stupid. (sorry I couldn't help myself)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

I had a similar problem once. After getting near where the cache was supposed to be, the GPS continued to indicate that the cache was 0.2 miles away on the opposite side of a large marshy area. After unsuccessfully trying to find a way to navigate around the large wetland area I stopped to check the coords on my pocket PC. The actual location ended up more than half a mile from where I had originally thought it was. Both of the sets of coords should have matched because I had updated both the GPS and the pocket PC at the same time that morning. My only guess was that somehow I had accidentally dragged the geocache waypoint out of place while on the map display on my GPS. You also use a Garmin 60c, do you think that is a possibility?

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Slate
    I had a similar problem once. After getting near where the cache was supposed to be, the GPS continued to indicate that the cache was 0.2 miles away on the opposite side of a large marshy area. After unsuccessfully trying to find a way to navigate around the large wetland area I stopped to check the coords on my pocket PC. The actual location ended up more than half a mile from where I had originally thought it was. Both of the sets of coords should have matched because I had updated both the GPS and the pocket PC at the same time that morning. My only guess was that somehow I had accidentally dragged the geocache waypoint out of place while on the map display on my GPS. You also use a Garmin 60c, do you think that is a possibility?
    Man am I glad to here that someone else had the same issue. I was beginning to think that I was clinically insane. Thanks Slate