vb:literal>

Thread: GPSr on Woot

Default GPSr on Woot

If you haven't heard of it yet, Woot is an online store with a unique policy: they generally sell only one type of item per day. They have a limited number of items available, and when the sale is over, it's over - wait until tomorrow for the next item. The items are sometimes factory refurbished or older models that the manufacturer is trying to get rid of, but the price savings is usually substantial. I have Woot on my daily list of sites I like to keep tabs on, and I have bought several items there. The product descriptions alone are worth the visit, even if I'm not buying!

Today's Woot is a Garmin iQue PDA/GPS for $259.99 plus $5 shipping. Looks like these are the 2003 model and I imagine Garmin is trying to dump excess inventory. I have no idea how well this model performed (anyone got one?) but I figured that since it's Geocaching-related, I'd pass it along if anyone is interested. Enjoy!

I used one of these before (I don't remember which model) and I wasn't very impressed. It seemed more like a dumbed down GPSr for those who only want to use it for driving directions and locating points of interest. I found it difficult to use and struggled to figure out how to use some basic functions such as creating a new waypoint. It might be nice to go paperless with one unit, but the ique didn't seem very geocaching friendly.

Woot must be going GPSr-happy this month... today they have a Lowrance iFinder Map & Music GPS Receiver w/MP3 Player for sale for $139.99. Probably not terribly accurate, but with built-in maps and route planning it seems like a pretty good deal. And it has built-in music to boot!

Another GPSr on Woot! today... this time it's the Magellan eXplorist 300 for a shade under $100. Not a bad deal for a WAAS-enabled GPSr with built-in maps, electronic compass, thermometer, barometer & altimeter. Would probably make a good gift if you know someone just getting into geocaching and needs an entry-level model.

Quote Originally Posted by Cache'n Jacksons
    Another GPSr on Woot! today... this time it's the Magellan eXplorist 300 for a shade under $100. Not a bad deal for a WAAS-enabled GPSr with built-in maps, electronic compass, thermometer, barometer & altimeter. Would probably make a good gift if you know someone just getting into geocaching and needs an entry-level model.
    Haffy posted something similar to this with a link.

I love my Magellan, but I'm not sure if this would be good for a GCer though since I looked at the specs on the Magellan website and (maybe it's just me) it appears as though you can't input waypoints (they're calling it data input) . . . plus it doesn't float and only has 8 mb of memory.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Another GPSr listed on Woot! today, if you know someone looking for an inexpensive auto navigation system this might do the trick:

Navman ICN 330 Portable Navigation System $249.99+ $5 shipping

No idea if it's a good or bad unit, but it's pretty cheap for a dashboard navigator. My FIL just bought a lowrance unit for around $800 for his cross-country trip.

Default Woot: Cobra GPS 1000 DLX

Yet another Woot! GPSr!!! It's a Cobra, but it looks like it has some nice features, and comes with all the accessories, for a great price:

Cobra GPS 1000 DLX Handheld GPS Bundle: $89.99+ $5 shipping

condition: New
    • 1 Cobra GPS 1000 DLX Handheld GPS
    • 1 Cobra GPA 1000 SCB Auto Bracket
    • 1 Cobra GPA 1500 CC 12 volt auto adapter /serial cable
    • 1 Cobra GPA 1000 IC - 7 ft serial cable
    It even comes with a 32 MB SD card so you can add more detail to the built-in US road maps! Looks like the only thing it's missing is a color screen and route planning abilities. It's not the latest technology, but it would make a nice gift or second GPSr. As with all Woot! deals, it is on sale for today only until their stock sells out.