vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monitors

Default Monitors

I am looking to buy a flat panel monitor. I was wonder what kind you have and the pros and cons of it! Thanks!

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Starzz
    I am looking to buy a flat panel monitor. I was wonder what kind you have and the pros and cons of it! Thanks!

Sue
    I have used several of them over the years but right now I am partial to the new dell ones. They have really nice lines, very thin borders and can turn to be in either portrait and landscape mode and also are adjustable in hight. The only con is that they do not have built in speakers but then the ones that do are really poor quality so it is not much of a trade off.

Of course the question is, "Why are you looking to buy a flat-panel monitor?"

Are you looking to replace an existing monitor? Are you looking to save space? Get something bigger? How much do you wnat to spend? Oh! The Questions! (It'll also depend on your video card and how old your computer is.)

I have several flat panel monitors and they're all Dell. They do a great job. Surf on over to Dell.com for details on what's the latest.

I have a 17" that I use for work and a 20" that I use at home, though I wish it was the other way around. The 20" is really too close to me when I'm at home (about 18") and the 17" is a bit far away (about 30").

Helpful? or no? Let me know.

i would definitely get one of the square ones
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Thumbs up Nec

I've had my 17" NEC for about 3 years and I wouldn't go back to a CRT now. I had upgraded from a 15". I have limited space on my desk for a deeper monitor so this fit the bill just fine. I think I got it on deal at Staples.
    Happy Trails!

We love our 50" flat screen

Ok, it's a TV, but it has PC input and amazing clarity. Fun for when we both want to surf the net together.

Oh, nice photo, brdad!

Hey I just did the cache in that photo yesterday! and theres just as much snow on the ground.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

My 21" CRT at work died after 10 years of service, so I got this one as a replacement. I was skeptical of LCD's at first, but I have been very pleased with it (them). We still have CRT's at home but will slowly move over to LCD's as the price comes down. They use quite a bit less power I have heard.

When shopping for an LCD, I would take a look at reviews and take note of the warranty length and details. They usually state the number of bad pixels that the monitor must have before it can be returned. A CRT usually goes bad "all over", where an LCD will lose individual pixels that can't be fixed. I have one bad pixel that glows red all the time, but fortunately it isn't in the middle and I have learned to ignore it.

On a related note, does anyone know if it's possible to convert an old laptop LCD for use on a regular PC? I have need of a real small one for a server at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cache'n Jacksons
    On a related note, does anyone know if it's possible to convert an old laptop LCD for use on a regular PC? I have need of a real small one for a server at work.
    Possible, yes. Feasible, no.

A quick Google search on "Laptop display conversion" or similar terms will net many hits, such as this one:

http://www.dansdata.com/danletters033.htm (relevant thread is near the bottom of the page).