vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RE: I always knew this geo-caching thing would pay off in the long run

Hybrid View

Default RE: I always knew this geo-caching thing would pay off in the long run

Well, after many, many caches I finally struck it rich . . . I found $250 in a cache today.

Granted the $250 is in Iraq dinars . . . and granted it's the old Iraq dinars with Saddam on them . . . and granted I have no plans to go to Iraq to try to spend this money, but darn it . . . I've finally made it to the big time. Now all I have to do is find a cache with some fool's gold in it and then I'll be able to justify this whole geo-caching hobby to my wife (who tends to call it geo-trashing . . . she has a knack for turning words around . . . i.e. My "Chewin' the Cud" column is knicknamed "Pullin' the Pud" by her.)

Incidentally, and this is a serious question here, does anyone know what the old Iraqi dinars are equal to in terms of US dollars . . . or are they even worth anything now that there are new Iraqi dinars? Just curious.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

If you think that's a lot of money, I left a "million" dollar bill in a cache in Clifton last year.

And to answer your question, I think the going rate for a bucket of camel spit was $50 (dinars), so you're sittin' on 5 whole buckets!!!

Googled: The IQD is currently valued at a little less than seven US cents. (1 USD = 1460 IQD). The old "Saddam" Dinar has no current value and is worth only what a collector is willing to pay for it.

But a favorite Howard Stern bit was when "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" was very popular. He used to have some not-so-bright folks in to play "Who Wants To Be An Italian Millionaire?" which, in lira, came out to about $3-5. The contestants were so excited when they won. It was hilarious.

Ebay has one going for $0.75. Better bid quick!

Quote Originally Posted by bhansenme
    Googled: The IQD is currently valued at a little less than seven US cents. (1 USD = 1460 IQD). The old "Saddam" Dinar has no current value and is worth only what a collector is willing to pay for it.
    This is kind of what I figured . . . I didn't think the old Saddam dinar would have any value at this point other than as a collector item and with all the troops over there I suspect there's quite a few old dinars now in the U.S. and so even the collection value is low. I picked this item however since I don't often grab anything and I was intrigued as it was a bit unusual . . . and it is, or was, real money at one time.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    This is kind of what I figured . . . I didn't think the old Saddam dinar would have any value at this point other than as a collector item and with all the troops over there I suspect there's quite a few old dinars now in the U.S. and so even the collection value is low. I picked this item however since I don't often grab anything and I was intrigued as it was a bit unusual . . . and it is, or was, real money at one time.
    If you hold onto it, and give it to your heirs, it might be worth something in 35-50 years

Haffy gives out $1820 in real Maine dollars!

Quote Originally Posted by tat
    Haffy gives out $1820 in real Maine dollars!
    I know . . . I've got one of those Haffy Maine dollars . . . funny thing though not too many places accept them.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake
    Well, after many, many caches I finally struck it rich . . . I found $250 in a cache today.

Granted the $250 is in Iraq dinars . . . and granted it's the old Iraq dinars with Saddam on them

We've found old Iraqi money in a couple of caches. Look at it this way: it's a great item to put in another cache! LOL!

Exclamation Struck it rich

Our Leighton Hill cache had a piece of Fool's Gold left in it last year. This winter we maintained it and found a piece of meteor? At least it looked like a pice of meteor. Small dark, shiny and very heavy. It made the cache glow and I had to remove it so as to make the find harder.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.