vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Geocaching Public Relations

Default Good Geocaching Public Relations

Just recently we had a new member come in who will be visiting the Boothbay region this summer to ask around for caches that would be nice to do and we had some people step up and give him some nice suggestions for caches to visit during his stay. While perusing the Boothday Region I noticed a couple of caches that had been put out by the Pike Patrol that were in need of some TLC regarding maintenance. So as a good cacher that I am I emailed the owner letting him know of the need for the attention. They in turn emailed me back and told me that the caches that he had were being taken over by the Boothbay Region Land Trust. I thought that was a pretty cool idea so I wrote this letter to the trust.

I just had a conversation with a geocacher who goes by the name of Pike Patrol who has several caches hidden on Boothbay Region preserves. He tells me that he is relenquishing the caches to the trust. I emailed them a couple of days ago in regards to a couple of them falling into disrepair and he emailed me back that he was turning over the maintenance to someone. I think that this is a great idea that the Land Trust would want to undertake this endeavor. I have been an avid geocacher for going on 3 years now and have visited I think most of the Regions caches and preserves and simply loved them all. I think it is is an important thing that the Trust is doing in preserving the land for others to enjoy and this includes geocachers as well. I wouldn't have ever gotten the opportunity to visit these preseves were it not for geocaching. Geocaching has brought me to places I would never had visited including the Boothbay Land Trust preserves and I commend you for taking the next step to protect this land and resouces for all to enjoy.

If you want to know more about geocaching visit the website www.geocaching.com and I also urge you to visit our website in Maine at www.geocachingmaine.org where we have over 500 members and growing more everyday. We take pride in our beautiful state and hold CITO events at least once a year. CITO stands for" cache in trash out "where we get a bunch of us geocachers together and pick an area that can use a good cleaning and litter removal. Last year we were invited to Brewer to work with the storm drainage committee in helping them clean up along the Penobscot River and had a great turnout. So,if there is anything we as geocachers here in Maine can do to help out just stop into our website and introduce yourselves. We will try to do our best to help with any of your needs or questions regarding geocaching.

Respectfully,

John Hafenecker

aka Haffy6 a caring Maine geocacher

This is the reply that I got from the executive Director of the Boothbay Region Land Trust:

Hello John. Thank you very much for the feedback in your e-mail. We would definitely like to develop a relationship with the Maine network of cachers. We are just embarking on our “geocaching” venture. Once we get up and running we would very much like to feature a link from our website to www.geocaching.com. We’re excited to continue caches on our preserves to attract people to the region to enjoy the beautiful land here. We’re happy to hear about your good experiences on our preserves and the draw of caching.

Any chance you live in the area? Two fabulous volunteers, Dick Palmer and Larry Brown (I’m cc:ing them) have stepped forward to work with me to better coordinate and maintain caches on our preserves. We’d love more input and ideas…and if you’re local, we’d love to meet you to chat in person. If you’re not local, we look forward to meeting you when you are in town and hopefully we’ll have some new and improved caches for you when you do return.

We’re moving to revamping our website but you can find lots of basic information on the land trust at our current site: www.bbrlt.org. We’re always looking for new members, please let me know if you’d like additional information.

Many thanks.

Julie Lamy

Executive Director

So good things do come about even when confronting someone about a cache that just needs a little TLC.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

That's pretty cool! You get your outreach merit badge for that one Haffy!! Do us a favor and keep us updated, perhaps a CITO event or something of the sorts could come of this.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

The Boothbay region land trust has done some wonderful work! My cousin lives on Barter's island, surrounded by land trust parcels. This is where I was introduced to caching, and the caches are in scenic, must-visit locations. There are some very generous people in the Boothbay region donating land and time for this effort. Thank you.

Good one, Haffy.

I forwarded a link to this thread to my neice at the Boothbay Register. Several of the caches we visited when she did her article on us were on Boothbay Land Trust property.

Might be a good chance for her to do a follow-up article.

Good job Haffy6!!! Please keep us updated. If this works well I may go to the CREA (Cathance River Education Alliance) and show them what the Boothbay Region Land Trust is doing.

Default Great PR

Awesome....just Plain Awesome!!!!!!!
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what its all about?
    Have Fun & Be Safe!

Good Job! This is what caching is all about!

Post thanks

Thanks, Haffy!!
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

that was a nice letter, haffy! i forwarded it to the island heritage trust. i knew that it would interest them. thanks!
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

That is wicked cool. It's good to see some land managers want to use geocaching to draw people in. It seems some, like the Nat'l Parks and IFW want to keep us away. Maybe the word will get around...