vb:literal>

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Snowshoe Event

Thumbs up Thanks for the Event!!!

The event was much needed and well done!!! Thank you everyone who brought food, swag, trackables, food, hot drinks, puppies, camp wood and food!
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Sooooo . . . not to flog a dead horse here and bring up the whole number thing . . . but as an avid sledder I am curious Rick . . . 1) how many miles did you guys end up doing and 2) how was the sledding up in Millinocket (I've been told by one person that despite the dearth of snow here the riding is actually quite good once you get a little above Old Town) . . . and since I'm starting to go through sled withdrawal I'm thinking of trailering my sled this upcoming weekend if the weather holds out and based on your's and other's reports.
    Jake, the sledding in Millinocket was awesome. We started in Millinocket and went to Abol Bridge then over to Kokadjo. Then back to Baxter State Park and we started riding up perimeter road for about 3 or four miles and turned around and back to Abol Bridge for gas. Then to the Long Pond trail and back to Millinocket. At about 9:30 that night we decided to go out for a night ride and road from Millinocket to Abol Bridge to the Long Pond Trail and back to Millinocket. We were lucky to have gotten behind a groomed trail for 95% of our night ride. We put 220 miles on each sled Saturday. We got about four inches Friday when we got up there and about two more inches Saturday morning. I was worried the whole way while driving up because of the very little snow on the sides of the road. My worries were put at rest shortly after we passed the Lincoln exit (I think). If I could find the cash to trailer up there again this weekend I would but I am taking a weeks vacation in two weeks and am saving my money to take the week in Millinocket to do some snowmobiling if all goes well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    Looks like we both had a great day!
    Yes I did and I am glad to hear you all had a great time too. Like I said it is not about the numbers. It is about have a good time with good people.
    Blazing Troll

It cost me $95 for gas just to get from Norway to Milllinocket and back. I only got 14 miles a gallon in the Dakota with the snowmobile in the back end. Seems kind of low to me. For that price I could fly JetBlue to Florida one way. We also paid $4.00 a gallon for gas at a fishing camp near Shin pond for the snowmobile. The whole overnight trip cost almost $250. The trails were great but for that price I think I will stick to Caribbean cruises. It's cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by darterkitfox View Post
    It cost me $95 for gas just to get from Norway to Milllinocket and back. I only got 14 miles a gallon in the Dakota with the snowmobile in the back end. Seems kind of low to me. For that price I could fly JetBlue to Florida one way. We also paid $4.00 a gallon for gas at a fishing camp near Shin pond for the snowmobile. The whole overnight trip cost almost $250. The trails were great but for that price I think I will stick to Caribbean cruises. It's cheaper.
    Yes it is getting pricey. I will not say what my trip cost for two nights in a large cabin and gas. I was expensive but worth it. You can not put a price on have a good time with people but the price can some time hinder it.
    Blazing Troll

I hear ya . . . I've just been happy that this year has been as snowy as it has been which has allowed me to (so far) do all of my sledding right from my backyard (sorry Becket! ) That said, we really need a little more snow out there right now due to the snow loss we experienced last week.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Or better yet do both . . .

I'm actually hoping that tomorrow's storm brings another few inches to Unity . . . it will be close, but we may have enough to ride on if that happens . . . if not it will mean I'll either have to trailer up to Millinocket for a day trip or it will mean another weekend spent working on the Mud Room.

In other news, I'm still waiting to hear back from my Travel Agent . . . my wife gets really stir crazy this time of year since she's not a snowmobiler/skier/snowshoer/etc. After several years of talking about going somewhere warm for a winter vacation I've told her we're doing it this year . . . thinking about San Antonio, TX (there's a sizable German-American population down that-away), Mexico (I've always been intrigued by the Mayan . . . or is it Aztec ruins) or the Dominican Republic (never been to the Carribean before . . . in fact the furthest south I've been is DC.)
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Yes it is getting pricey. I will not say what my trip cost for two nights in a large cabin and gas. I was expensive but worth it. You can not put a price on have a good time with people but the price can some time hinder it.
    Those are some very true words, like those of us that camped out after the snowshoe event, we all went and splurged and had lobster omlets for breakfast! now that's camping!
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    Those are some very true words, like those of us that camped out after the snowshoe event, we all went and splurged and had lobster omlets for breakfast! now that's camping!
    OK...now THAT might have persuaded us to stay overnight! We'll make it one of these trips...but the event was fun on a perfect day! Thanks Niki and Gary for hosting.

Default The lonely Gnome

There is one TB left in the Grab your Snowshoes event.

Gnome on the Roam

It was dropped off but not logged out of the event. Please look in your caching bag to see if it was you who took him. He needs to be roaming again.

Both Foxgloves and I appreciated all of those who came out and shared the Maine woods with us.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Are we going to se some pictures from this event?
    Blazing Troll