vb:literal>

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Logging DNFs

I don't post a DNF unless I go and feel like I have put in what I consider a fairly thorough search , and just can't find it. If is a quick look due to time restraints it would not be a DNF for me, as the owner and other cachers may think it is missing in that case when it was not really seached for very well. I do appreciate those of you that have looked for one of my hides that has been muggled three times and logged the DNF so that it could be replaced. One person just emailed me instead, so that is the way they dealt with it, but that was also very helpful to get it replaced quickly.

brdad- Do you think it would be fine instead on the Utah Challenge to just post a note instead of a DNF- stating you are in the process of completetion, so the owner would know you had started the challenge and not finished? I would not think a DNF would be in order myself unless the search was made.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterski View Post
    brdad- Do you think it would be fine instead on the Utah Challenge to just post a note instead of a DNF- stating you are in the process of completetion, so the owner would know you had started the challenge and not finished? I would not think a DNF would be in order myself unless the search was made.
    I can see where that would be quite acceptable. It isn't a real DNF, but I think it is nice to give some mention of it, and as I said, I like to have a personal record as well. Much of it depends on if you wanted to call what you did an attempt at the cache. Many of us just plugged away at maps for the Delorme Challenge while caching elsewhere and living our normal lives. But for myself, If I made a special trip to Utah to do the challenge and failed, I would probably call that a DNF.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Yes, I can understand that if you never planned to go back, it could be a DNF.

In my limited experience........I don't hesitate a DNF if I remember to take it from GSAK to online...because rating the difficulty is a matter of perception. And often the cacher has a much different perception of how hard it really is... so why not pile em' up and let the C.O. re-think a rating.
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

Default 129 logged DNFs and counting!

Our experience seems to be that our rate off DNFs does not decline with experience. In fact we are more likely to log a DNF now because as owner's of quite a few hides, we know how helpful it is to let the cache owner know there might be a problem.

Nothing more frustrating than to be told by someone they have looked multiple times, when if they had simply logged the DNF you could have clarified the matter and spared them, and others, fruitless searches.

Actually..... I sharpen my pencil for a More than likely DNF on 1.5s Those are the ones that give me a hard time.
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!