vb:literal>

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Closed Threads

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    To solely close it based on what is feared to happen would be wrong, but as I stated in the thread the post was also against the Geocaching Maine User Agreement.

And again, anyone can start a new thread discussing about what to do about caches that are listed incorrectly or how many have been wronged by an approver, just don't single out those individuals or caches.

Be sure to check out the new anythinggoescaching.com site, where there are no restrictive practices or censorship. Hiders are now allowed to place caches on bridges, bury them in cemeteries, and there is no distance restriction, they can be placed on top of each other. You are allowed to booby trap your caches with flying knives and adult oriented trade items are encouraged, as is food. You are allowed to log any cache as often as you like, even if you don't find it. Oh yes, that sounds much better than the dictatorship known as gc.com.
    Why do you think people will start behaving like this? If you had the option to booby trap you cache with knives would you do it? I have no problem with caches on bridges I found some. I welcome buried caches, it would be a nice twist to use metal detectors and shovels, however it should be mentioned in cache description. Don't be ridiculous with booby traps. I welcome adult material in caches , kid unfriendly attribute already exists. Food in caches, no problem for me, if your cache will be eaten by wild animals you will not do it again. Do you need to take a **** into my cache? No problem I already put a toilet paper in one (TB2A9XY). Do you need to log your find hundred times? No problem with me, feel free to log any of my caches as many times as you wish even if you don't find it. Caches stuck on each other? It would be funny I hope I will find one day something like this. Don't get me wrong I'm not against guidelines I'm against enforcing them. Regulations will kill the progress. If you have a bad idea about placing a cache, this idea will die with your cache itself after time.
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Be sure to check out the new anythinggoescaching.com site, where there are no restrictive practices or censorship. Hiders are now allowed to place caches on bridges, bury them in cemeteries, and there is no distance restriction, they can be placed on top of each other. You are allowed to booby trap your caches with flying knives and adult oriented trade items are encouraged, as is food. You are allowed to log any cache as often as you like, even if you don't find it. Oh yes, that sounds much better than the dictatorship known as gc.com.

brdad....are you sure that is the site....I went but no luck.

Was looking forward to booby traps!

Default Closed Thread

Like others, I was surprised to see the thread closed so quickly but I could see a potential for things to "get personal", something I have learned not to do (but not without my moments). That said, I hope there aren't any ACLU people lurking on this site!

Most members on this site have not placed a single cache so they really don't understand both the "highs" and the "lows" of cache ownership. The highs are easy, just reading logs of fellow cachers who write positive notes about their experience while finding your cache, or perhaps the chuckle Laughing Terry gets from a lawyer who needed 4 hints to find the 2 Cent Bridge Cache or the head-scratching some of the puzzle caches cause. But it's all fun and the smiley's of your fellow cachers make your effort worthwhile.

Then there's the lows....lost or damaged caches, negative posts (rare, but they will happen), ignored caches and even the dismissive note from the Maine Reviewer indicating an issue with one of your new placements. These are why cache owners react both positively and negatively to commentary about their hides. If you haven't walked a mile in Chadd's shoes or been the part of "discussions" cache placers have with Tom when the placement doesn't fit the guidelines, then you probably don't apppreciate what all the hub-bub is about.

While I wouldn't have pulled the plug so quickly as the few posts made weren't nasty at all, I did suggest and continue to suggest that these type of "disagreements" are best resolved in private. There's a lot of great writers here who offer some well-thought out and persuasive posts, but if it starts down "personality row" then I say take it outside the site.

And one last comment. I don't know how, but apparently PM's can be saved and later posted as an attachment. If you do resort to Private e-mails, then I think they should stay that way. That's my 2 cents worth. Hope Chadd continues placing caches all over the place and again, we all have to tip or hats to Tom's efforts for reviewing them all.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post

While I wouldn't have pulled the plug so quickly as the few posts made weren't nasty at all, I did suggest and continue to suggest that these type of "disagreements" are best resolved in private.
    The problem is it couldn't be solved privately, that's why that thread started at first place.
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    The problem is it couldn't be solved privately, that's why that thread started at first place.
    There is no way members of this site are going to solve it anyway, short of petitioning gc.com.

However, the discussion could have been made less personal and still valued as a discussion:

Possible thread #1:
    I have come across a few caches which in my opinion are not listed correctly. These caches are listed as traditional but the posted coordinates only take you to the parking area or other starting point. From there, you must follow directions to make your way to the cache itself. Some may even have a clue or coordinates at the starting point as a multi would have. Does anyone else feel these caches are not listed correctly, and what is the best way to address the issue?

Possible thread #2:
    I recently submitted a cache at the posted location of an archived cache only to find out that the original one is eventually going to be replaced with a multi. So my cache has been denied. I even sent an email to TPTB and they are still denying my hide. I can't help but think I am being singled out. Has anyone else experienced this in their cache placements? And what could be my next course of action?

Eventually caches and owners may get mentioned, but the focus should be on the topic and not on the individuals involved.

Regarding Dan's comment - My decision was based on the opening post, not on any of the replies, which were in good form.
    Last edited by brdad; 02-02-2010 at 04:21 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    ... but apparently some cachers, and Geocachinginmaine.org members have more pull than others, which allows them to get in what they have to say and then cut off all other postings afterwards.
    This is a private web site, and as such, it subject to the whims of the site owner (Attroll). I would say that he rightly has "more pull than others".

The site owner (Attroll) and Brdad are both elected members of the GeocachingMaine.org Advisory Board, and are both administrators on this web site. I would say that this also gives them "more pull than others".

Attroll and Brdad are among the most respected members of the Maine geocahing community. I would certainly respect their judgement on all matters concerning this web site.

I feel as I should comment on his issue for several reasons. I am also a board member. I feel if I do not comment it would be like cowering in the corner.

I really like Tat. I have meet him several times and we have talked about all kinds of different things. I also like Chadd. We have talked several times about various things. Groudspeak is OK too I guess. BRdad, well thats another story.

All that being said I support Brdads action. I might have been one of the first people to read the thread and felt the same way, this might be a little over the edge. I almost alerted the board, but I wanted to see how this would play out.

In my other endeavors I have learned there are different perspectives to what is going on around us. Luckily I have been able to keep my mind open and look at these things from different angles. It is amazing how different things look when you try and see things from a different perspective.

I understand Chadd's situation. I have been in his position, and with a little push I was able to open up my perception and get a different look at things. I was still mad but could understand the issue better.

I hope Chadd will read this and give this issue some time before taking action.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    This is a private web site, and as such, it subject to the whims of the site owner (Attroll). I would say that he rightly has "more pull than others".

The site owner (Attroll) and Brdad are both elected members of the GeocachingMaine.org Advisory Board, and are both administrators on this web site. I would say that this also gives them "more pull than others".

Attroll and Brdad are among the most respected members of the Maine geocahing community. I would certainly respect their judgement on all matters concerning this web site.

The intent with this post is lost on me. Attroll and Brdad ARE respected members as ALL members should be and are by me. More pull on this website should only mean that its members have placed greater responsibility on them to make harder decisions, i.e. BrDads decision to close a thread. I may disagree with that decision but I respect him for it. I may disagree with CARoper... but I respect him for his post too. So, again, I'm lost on the intent of this post.
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

I agree "more pull" is perhaps a bad choice or words - except in Ricks case, where he does and have should have more pull in the internal working of the web site. No one should have more pull regarding what is posted. If I post something against the terms it should be addressed the same as it would for any other member.

That being said, we have a good group here and generally it is self moderating. I have only deleted a couple threads which were inappropriate and discussed with the board deleting one more which was of a commercial nature - that topic's appeal dwindled fast so it was left alone. Many posts including my own push the edge at times. But when a post breaks multiple points in the agreement, it is a different story.

Now if anyone's issue is with the agreement itself, that is another subject.
    Last edited by brdad; 02-02-2010 at 05:34 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    The intent with this post is lost on me.
    I'm not surprised...