vb:literal>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So much paper!

Default So much paper!

Hi All!
    I would like to know if there is a program that you use to download the (LOC) or (GPX) files to the laptop so I don't have to print out SO MUCH PAPER! I have tried to download one file to the laptop, but can't find anything on the laptop to open it.

Quote Originally Posted by rcwhit View Post
    Hi All!
    I would like to know if there is a program that you use to download the (LOC) or (GPX) files to the laptop so I don't have to print out SO MUCH PAPER! I have tried to download one file to the laptop, but can't find anything on the laptop to open it.
    Sheesh! Here I go again...

Most people who "go paperless" use a Palm PDA with Cachemate software. It is cheap ($10), and works on any Palm OS later than 3.0. It is basically the equivalent of having printed listings.

You should also have GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) on your laptop. It is a database management tool for geocaches. It is extremely comprehensive, and allows you to export listings to almost any device (computer, GPS, etc.) It is also fairly cheap - $25 for a registered version.

Thanks for the reply. We do a lot of camping in different places and it would be nice to be able to find wireless connection where we could look up new caches (in case we run out) in the area and just download them for later viewing and hunting. Will check out the GSAK program.

Thanks for the reply. We do a lot of camping in different places and it would be nice to be able to find wireless connection where we could look up new caches (in case we run out) in the area and just download them for later viewing and hunting. Will check out the GSAK program.
    What do you have for a GPS receiver?

I have been using my phone for first to find and even caching. Sofar it is working well.

If you download all the caches in Maine to GSAK you will not need an Internet connection.

The Garmin Nuvi can hold all the caches in the state and all of newengland if you want to really try and fill it up.They will hold all the information off the cache page.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I have a GPSMAP 60CSx.

I have a GPSMAP 60CSx.
    Sheesh! One of the best GPS receivers for geocaching, IMHO!

Get GSAK on your computer, and buy a Premium membership on Geocaching.com so you can download pocket queries to GSAK. Then you can manipulate the data any way you want, and download up to 1,000 geocaches onto your GPSr.

Then get a PDA, install Cachemate on that, and you'll be able to export geocache data from GSAK to the PDA - as many geocaches as your memory chip will hold. Newer PDAs with SD card memory chips can hold thousands of geocaches.

Go to one of our GeocachingMaine.org events and there will be many members who will be glad to demonstrate.

Thanks! I downloaded the GSAK program and think it will do just what I want.(As soon as I figure it all out) Will be looking forward to the next GeocachingMaine event and ALL the members who will be GLAD to demonstrate! (a few times???)

Go to the coffee shop in the trailer. I know one cacher is in there often and is good at GSAK and all.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.