vb:literal>

Thread: My thoughts

Lightbulb My thoughts

I am placing this in a new thread so no one will feel I am pointing a finger at them.

I am really trying to understand why some members come on and feel the need to call people out. And if you feel this is me calling some one out I am not. Why do you come on here if you don't like the site. The ratio of angry heated crap to actual talk about geocaching has to be very lopsided as of late. And not to the side of caching. I have met most everyone that comes on here to post, and for the most part we are all nice people. Yet we sit behind these keyboards and we forget that our friends are on the other end of the wire.

It is not someones God given right to be on this website. That's why Bruce takes his free time to weed out the spammers. That's why I do my small part when I volunteered to keep the events on the front page up to date. If someone want's that job, go for it... I do it because I enjoy it. We have heard from Rick that this isn't HIS website, but OURS. For the history of this site it has always been difficult to come to a consensus on any subject. That is why an advisory board was needed. I have known Rick for 7 years. He is not a confrontational person, and it takes a lot to get him riled up. So I guess I just feel bad for all the controversy going on right now. Sometimes conversations should just remain private between two people.

I know of more than a few cachers who just don't come on here because of all the anger. I can't even recommend the site to new cachers right now for fear that they will be turned off from the sport/ activity. Now these are my opinions. I am not looking to pick any fights. As I said I can get along with most everyone. If you disagree with my then that is your rite.
    Happy Trails!

Default Spot on!

Brad, your comments ought to be "required reading" for members and prospective members of this site. This site isn't strictly organized and my guess is that it never will be and was never intended to be subject to formal rules and practices. Most would prefer it to be this way. Those interested in an in depth analysis of what goes on "behind the scenes" seem to suggest that something inappropriate is happening. I don't believe so for a second. While Bruce and Dave dominate the posts here, they each serve in a VOLUNTEER positiion that by all appearances they do very well.

All of us should share the concern that the negativity and innuendo of some here certainly have the potential to scare away new cachers and members. Think about that if you're one of those inclinced to question the way this site has worked for many years. While a question or two posed directly to Rick in a PM would be appropriate, try to resist the effort to "call out" folks here who are trying to give back to our game.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Three cheers to Brad and Dan here. Posts recently have been a drastic change from what they were when Pam and I first started. We hope this tendency reverses itself soon.

Great posts, Brad and Dan. It is one thing to disagree, but to point fingers, call people names, and attempt to divide is wrong and not a positive influence on the site. I know I have made several controversial posts, but have always tried to be respectful and separate the issue from the individual. I may not like most micros; I may believe cache run caches are bad influence on the sport, but that does not mean the people who hide them or find are bad or wrong for doing so, and they do not deserve to be demeaned or otherwise targeted.

While it'd be great if all members could always be nice, from a moderator standpoint I'd like to suggest members take control. If someone posts something you find offensive or wrong, report the post instead of flaring back with a reply that is just going to escalate the issue. There is a report post button on top right of every post, it looks like this: If possible, state the forum guidelines that the post is breaking. Don't expect the moderator to know what you are offended by, or to interpret the post in the same manner. Report it!

Also, if you start a new thread and it's going off topic and you'd rather it didn't, say so, it is your thread! If you need help, ask a moderator.

I'm hoping we can work towards improving the site once the hoopla of the elections are over. And by we, I don't mean the board, but all members.
    Last edited by brdad; 02-10-2011 at 08:57 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

+1 to Brad . . . and it is sentiments like this that caused me to vote for him along with three other folks I thought might be able to change the look of this forum and take this group to the next stage.

I know as for myself since the Board's "tone" has changed I have posted far less than I have in the past . . . and I know of a few other folks who have also curtailed the number of posts, visits or in some cases just stayed away . . . and like Brad . . . I do not send newbies here any more since I would rather they not be scared away from caching.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    I know as for myself since the Board's "tone" has changed I have posted far less than I have in the past . . .
    Sheesh, Jake! "The Board's "tone" has changed"???

Show me where the Advisory Board has stated a position on anything! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh, Jake! "The Board's "tone" has changed"???

Show me where the Advisory Board has stated a position on anything! LOL!
    Board as in BBS . . . the forums . . . sorry, should have been clearer.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

100 years of tradition unhampered by progress. It has not done much for the Fire Service and I would conclude that it won't help here. While I respect tradition I also strive to incorporate positive change. Questioning long standing practices is not necessarily dangerous nor disruptive. If by continually reviewing current practices it leads to positive change how is that "scaring prospective members" or limiting "veterans" from posting? It would stand to reason that if there exist so many questions that there must be some concern therefore some review of current practices may be in order. One way of looking at the expressed attitudes when reading these post is that, "if you don't like traditions, then go away. New ideas and questioning old ideas are considered 'confrontational'." How is that encouraging new members?

I fully agree with respecting other members and respectful post but it seems that there exist a certain group that demand respect without returning respect. The irony of this thread is that by demanding that certain members not "call out" others is that it is "calling out" those that it accused of starting it. There is no end to this.

The Board is inherently and evolutionarily set up to review, modify and improve current practices. New ideas and best implementation are the goal of any board, not maintaining status quo unless that is what is best. If it wasn't then why have it? To understand what changes, if any, need to be considered then dissenting views MUST be presented. REsPECTFULLY of course. That is where rules and guidelines come in NOT to curtail opposing views but to make sure that EVERYONE gets due process.

I'm off to Texas to do some caching, hunting and sightseeing.
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Board as in BBS . . . the forums . . . sorry, should have been clearer.
    OK - have to agree with you there. There have always been disagreements and arguments - I've been a significant participant in many (can't resist a troll...) - but the "tone" seems to have become more confrontational and personal.

Default Just remember.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I'm off to Texas to do some caching, hunting and sightseeing.
    Keep in mind that you're better off to cache with your GPS and hunt with your firearm. To reverse those causes concern amongst cache owners and other hunters.