vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should caches that do not have a FTF be given hints?

Default Should caches that do not have a FTF be given hints?

I had an interesting experience this summer looking for a cache that had not yet been found after 3 postings and 3 weeks. After looking once and before returning the next day and finding it, other cachers had come, called the owner and been given extra hints for the FTF. They were honest of course and admitted that in the log. It made me think Darn!! and that maybe the unspoken policy might be that we would not give or get hints until a FTF had been posted or new hints posted on the webpage. Nothing against the cache hider, she is great and it was her cache to do as she wished. I actually kind of vented in my posting but it was all in good humor.:-)
    What are your thoughts as how to handle FTF's?

I think cache owners can do whatever they wish, but I think, in the spirit of the game, that the cache should be found first without any help, to claim the FTF. IMO

Sorry about that reply, it had WAYYY to many commas. I, will, do, better, next, time.

IMO hints should be left up to the digression of the cache owner.

I have more of a problem with hints being given by someone other than the cache owner, for example a previous cache finder.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by Waterski View Post
    I had an interesting experience this summer looking for a cache that had not yet been found after 3 postings and 3 weeks.
    I agree with other comments - leave it alone. RULOAST2? and I once got a FTF on a cache that had been placed almost 2 years earlier! LOL!

Default Hints

I agree with brdad that hints should be left to the discretion, or the whim, of the cache placer. Laughing Terry gives his hints in a series. I think I needed 4 hints (and 5 trips) to get the cache on the 2 cent Bridge in Waterville. When folks call me for a hint I ask them straight out if they want a "little" hint or if they're getting frustrated do they want something more specific.

Personally, I try not to call unless I've put in a solid half hour or more and even then I'll often pass and try it on a different day or when I have "eagle eye" Dianne with me.

It's just another one of those questions best answered by reminding all that this is a game and how you play it is a matter of personal choice. Some players are what I call the "purists." They don't need or want any assistance and that's fine. One of my best friends eschews folks that hunt deer with a rifle, preferring a recurve bow like the early settlors used. Again, both "put meat on the table" and I'm not going to criticize folks who call for hints, as I do from time to time, as I find it FUN every time I find a cache, hint or no hint!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Yeah,
    Let the placer decide.
    My brother doesn't use hints and I can't cache without them, LOL !!!
    And feel free to ask the owner for help, in case a muggle saw it and took it before someone could find it.
    Opalsns

On New caches I like a level playing field. If there is a hint it is the one given on the cache listing. If there is no hint on the cache listing page then there is not a hint for anyone.

As others have said though, it is at the cache owners digression.
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

It's definitely up to the cache placer, especially since FTFs are not being tabulated for points. There can be more than one kind of FTF, and the person who is first to find it with no hints is justified in adding that to their personal totals. Nobody's keeping track of your FTFs but you.

As to getting hints from someone other than the owner, that's just the way people are playing the game. I try to remember that I want people to find my cache, after all. Would you rather dnf my cache, go home, email me and wait for an answer, plan another trip and wait some more - or just call your buddy that you have on speed dial and log it already?
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~

If there is a special "trick" hide, the cache placer won't want to spoil it by giving out hints. How many visits to Old 470, Battleship or the 3 Penny Bridge? You remember when you finally found them, don't you? That (to me anyway) is more rewarding than a quick hint and on my way. Having said that, it can be frustrating to "just not get" a cache hide that everyone else is logging "easy find". Then it's time for a hint