vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brand spanking new

Default Brand spanking new

As the title to this post implies, I am very new to this sport, and to GPS units also. I hope to have a lot of fun with it, and maybe learn a thing or 2, or 5, or 10, lol. I'm located in the Presque Isle area.

Welcome to the addiction of geocaching. You have no idea what you're in for! Welcome to the site as well, feel free to speak up and ask questions or give your opinion!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default welcome

Glad you found us! Hope you have as much fun as we have had with this wonderful sport. You will learn a lot and see some really wonderful places.
    Let us know how that first find goes.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Welcome to the sport, adventure, life style.....

It's addictive.

Default Welcome

It was just 8 months ago that I received the same warm welcome from the many fine folks that play this game, and they used the word "addicting" which I found curious. 848 caches later including hiking through snow, the woods at night trying to beat gob-ler to a First To Find and I think there's more than a little truth to that word. Great sport, good people, great places to discover, environmentally friendly game, who could ask for more? Enjoy and welcome!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

I'm not sure I would use the term environmentally friendly when describing caching. I drove 4 hours round trip this past weekend to do some caches. We had no other reason to be in a car. Sitting home by a swimming pool that was running whether we were home or not would be more environmentally friendly than wasting gas and filling the air with carbon monoxide. But until the world decides we really need to do something about conditions, we will still be out caching every weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by darterkitfox View Post
    I'm not sure I would use the term environmentally friendly when describing caching. I drove 4 hours round trip this past weekend to do some caches. We had no other reason to be in a car. Sitting home by a swimming pool that was running whether we were home or not would be more environmentally friendly than wasting gas and filling the air with carbon monoxide. But until the world decides we really need to do something about conditions, we will still be out caching every weekend!
    Now ,now,did you do your envronment some good while caching and do some CITO while out and about? if you didn't then you have nothing to complain about.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Default Environmentally Friendly?

Excuse me. I think we need to use our cars to go everywhere, work, church, the gym, to see our families... caching. Once we're at the place where we strike out for a cache, then we're walking, maybe kayaking, maybe on a bike, but we are not contributing one iota to global warming or anything else that impacts the world. In this sense, geocaching is environmentally neutral. If you think caching has a negative effect on the world then tell us about another sport/game that has as its key activity "walking" that has less impact on the world but still involves exercise? (Please exclude sitting by the pool which I would enjoy but is a different animal)

uote=darterkitfox;44472]I'm not sure I would use the term environmentally friendly when describing caching. I drove 4 hours round trip this past weekend to do some caches. We had no other reason to be in a car. Sitting home by a swimming pool that was running whether we were home or not would be more environmentally friendly than wasting gas and filling the air with carbon monoxide. But until the world decides we really need to do something about conditions, we will still be out caching every weekend![/quote]
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Thank you all for the very warm welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by north View Post
    As the title to this post implies, I am very new to this sport, and to GPS units also. I hope to have a lot of fun with it, and maybe learn a thing or 2, or 5, or 10, lol. I'm located in the Presque Isle area.
    Welcome North . . . you're in a great place to start out caching as there are some great caches in the County. In fact some of my favorite caches and caching adventures (as well as ATVing and snowmobiling adventures for that matter) are in the County).

If you have any questions about geocaching, GPS receivers, geocaching etiquette, why Hiram357 is the way he is, etc. just ask away . . . and we'll be happy to explain away or at least give you our opinions.

P.S. Once you get up and going I would highly recommend some of the caches at the nearby Nordic Ski area outside of PI and definitely do the Loring caches.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."