vb:literal>

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: RE: Computer geek advice needed

Default RE: Computer geek advice needed

Is this a decent computer set-up? I'm considering updating my old Dell Dimension which I bought over five years ago.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-Pa...oductDetail.do
    Last edited by firefighterjake; 01-14-2008 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Bad link . . . bad . . . no treats for you.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Default hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post

Is this a decent computer set-up? I'm considering updating my old Dell Dimension which I bought over five years ago.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-Pa...oductDetail.do
    it has a remote control!?!?! that's fancy...

what the heck is a light scribe device????

btw... is that the real jake on the bumper???
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

It comes with Windows Vista. I don't want to sound like I'm knocking Vista, but be sure you can afford it.

Software designed for XP may not be able to run on Vista. If you plan on re-using software from your ould machine, make sure it can be migrated. Maptech, for example, can be installed on Vista, but they charge $199 per state to upgrade their viewing software to Vista. I own maps for 8 states!

Sometimes too much is better than not enough. I had a TV card in my last computer and used it semi-regularly and even would like to get one for my new one. They are great for recording news articles to MPG. On the flip side, I ran into compatibility issues with some software that took a while to figure out. But it was worth it to me. I thought the remote was neat, but like a new exercise machine it got old fast and it's been in the back of the drawer since. I imagine it'd be nice in a dorm room or bedroom if you want to use the computer for both for TV and PC to save space.

As far as light scribe, it's a special CD/DVD drive which can print titles directly onto the disk, which could be handy if you made a lot of CDs.

I'm not a fan of Norton, so that'd be one of the first things I'd be removing early on and replacing with one of the less expensive and 'computer overtaking' ones available. You'll be in for a new learning curve with Vista too, but there are not many options for new PCs with XP now.

Other than that, it looks like a decent setup to me. It'd be nice to find a few reviews online, but I couldn't seem to find any.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    It comes with Windows Vista. I don't want to sound like I'm knocking Vista, but be sure you can afford it.

Software designed for XP may not be able to run on Vista. If you plan on re-using software from your ould machine, make sure it can be migrated. Maptech, for example, can be installed on Vista, but they charge $199 per state to upgrade their viewing software to Vista. I own maps for 8 states!
    The two most important factors: it has a high speed CPU, and 3GB memory. (Price is pretty good, too.)

As for Windows Vista, I haven't had any problems with software crashes our Two Vista computers (All our programs were transferred from Windows XP computers). And with the good CPU and lots of memory, you'll have no problems running Vista.

I also bought a $35 Belkin Vista transfer cable at WalMart. It was pricey, but really made the transfer of software from old computer to new computer a breeze.

But don't you really need a new laptop, instead? LOL!

I too have upgraded to vista and am very pleased. I only had one program that absolutely refused to run and I ditched that. Go for it!
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Well I must be a real computer geek. Right now I have two monitors on my computer and I am thinking of getting a third one. I have so many windows open and am doing so many thing it sure is nice to have more monitors so I can spread the open windows out on them.

With 3 GB of memory you will need to have Vista. The old XP will not recognize and use any memory above 2 GB.

I have also been thinking about making the jump to Vista but I am scared because of some of the stories I have heard. All those stories included upgrading from XP. I have never heard any bad stories about any computers coming preinstalled with Vista.

The nice thing about the remote and TV tuner for me is I can use my second monitor as a TV and I can use it just like a TIVO.

For the average computer user this will be more than enough in my opion.
    Blazing Troll

I hope I did not sound too negative in my post. I do like Vista, especially the chess game! The problem I had was not with Vista, but the vendors I bought hardware and software from.

I have 25 programs that I do not want to be without. All worked fine except Maptech Terrain Navigator (mentioned before), GSAK (needs to be upgraded), Distant Suns (gives an error message at start up and then works fine) and Microsoft ActiveSync.

So, if you haven't purchased one of those products yet, you won't have trouble because their latest versions are Vista compatible.

The point is: Be sure Vista is not going to be a problem with the software you already own. You may find the same problem with hardware.

1. Make a list of all the software titles and hardware you own and want to install on the new machine.

2. Check with their website to see that the software and driver are compatible or an update is available.

3. Download all the files and have them ready.

P.S. If someone knows how to get my phone to share the internet using Vista, I'd love to know.

Thumbs up the games a big plus!

[quote=tat;38368]I hope I did not sound too negative in my post. I do like Vista, especially the chess game! [quote]

Have you beaten the chess game!! wow!
    Vista comes with lots of games!
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

When I upgraded it was from XP to Vista on the home machine and there really were no hitches or problems. My CD writing program had to have a vista patch, but vista went and found the patch that was needed and did the upgrade by itself. I too was skeptical about Vista, but having used it now for a couple of months I really like it a lot.

The only real issues that I have heard about involve some Dell Desktops and that involved having to do a backup of data and then wiping the drive to do a clean vista install.

I have a HP Laptop and it came with Vista.

Never look back.
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!