vb:literal>

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Question just for fun...

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    When I see a person with a bazillion finds and zero to no cache hides I wonder if they simply don't want to take the time and money to hide a cache . . . I would find it hard to believe that a person cannot find a single, unique place to hide a cache.
    Each of our caches is placed for a reason: scenic spot, historical significance, interesting geography/construction. None of them was placed at a stop sign or guardrail "just because". They're traditional caches with swag, real log books, and are big enough to place most travel bugs. And we maintain our caches.

Yes, we could put out more caches, and we intend to one of these days. But we prefer quality over quantity.

You could also argue that geocachers should give back by sponsoring a geocaching event once in a while. You could probably count on your fingers how many GCM.org cachers have sponsored events. Well - at least on fingers and toes both. Which makes about 20 people - less than 1 percent of GCM.org members.

Looks like about 50 different people from what I can see, depending on how you want to count the people who keep editing their names because they forget spaces, etc... And remember, when figuring percentages compared to gcmaine members, a large percentage of those members do not live in Maine.

Still a relatively low number, but events are not for some, like me. The likelihood that I'll host an event is probably lower than the likelihood I'll hide a GRC. I am a lousy host.

OwnerName Count(*)
    88SeriesIII 1
    AbbysGrammy 2
    Beach Comber 1
    Blazing Trolls 7
    Bluegrass Gyrl 1
    Bounty Hunter 1
    Cache Maine 3
    Ekidokai 4
    Emmy-n-Sapphie 1
    Geochicks 2
    Gob-ler 2
    Hawk Chucker 1
    Hiram357 5
    Hondohawk 1
    J_Cyr 2
    Kaching Karen 6
    Kacky 9
    Katadin Goddess 3
    M.G.A 21
    MARTES 3
    Merryspring 1
    Nick~MacCache 1
    Northwoods Explorer 5
    Quilting Mom 1
    Quilting mom and MIke 2
    ScottJenColleen 1
    SeriousTool 1
    Sudonim 1
    TAT 8
    TEAM NAB 1
    Team DeLorme 2
    Team Norac, Maine 1
    Team Richards 1
    Team2hunt 3
    TeamHorwich 5
    We3Beans 1
    WhereRWe? & RULOST2? 1
    WhereRWe? and RULOST2? 4
    WhereRWe?and RULOST2? 1
    firefighterjake 1
    flwrldyandbuds 2
    hide_from_the_kids 1
    hoamdezinahs 2
    hollora 3
    jvillefamily 1
    kayakerinme 2
    kayaking loon 2
    madjim 1
    mainiac1957 17
    merenner 1
    pjpreb 1
    robt 2
    teamdozer12 1
    vicbiker 3
    Last edited by brdad; 05-27-2010 at 05:13 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Looks like about 50 different people from what I can see, depending on how you want to count the people who keep editing their names because they forget spaces, etc... And remember, when figuring percentages compared to gcmaine members, a large percentage of those members do not live in Maine.
    But if you look closely, a lot of those events are under the auspices of the "Maine Geocaching Association", not GeocachingMaine.org (21 alone listed under MGA).

And an event can involve a lot of work. The Pirate events, the "Laste Cache Bashe" events, the recent Aloha event, and the 10 yr event in Brewer come to mind. That's one reason I suggested the Sunday breakfast events. No planning, no expense, just a gathering of geocachers.

How many events hosted have featured BEER???

BY my count (please correct me if I am wrong) me (SeriousTool) and 88Series have beer event caches...

Based on his post I assume brdad is only counting those events hosted in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    How many events hosted have featured BEER???

BY my count (please correct me if I am wrong) me (SeriousTool) and 88Series have beer event caches...
    Wrong. Mainiac1957 has hosted a couple of "Beer and Wings" events.

I'm not sure how an association with the MGA has any bearing. Many of their members are members here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by merenner View Post
    Based on his post I assume brdad is only counting those events hosted in Maine.
    Correct, only Maine events.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I'm not sure how an association with the MGA has any bearing. Many of their members are members here as well.
    My point was the number of GCM.org members who have hosted an event. I suggested 20, you posted a figure of 50+. Discount the 21 by MGA (can't count it if it isn't a GCM.org event...), leaves 29.

And I'll make the effort to identify people on the list who are not GCM.org members:

Team Norac
    Emmy-n-Sapphie
    Nick~MacCache
    teamdozer12

Which leaves 25 GCM.org members - close enough to my suggested 20 I'll concede 2.5 percent of our members have hosted events rather than 2 percent! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Wrong. Mainiac1957 has hosted a couple of "Beer and Wings" events.

Quilting Mom has hosted 3

Resurrecting Beer and Wings (GC15Y3R) by Quilting mom and MIke (1/1)
    Beer and Wings Sea Dog Style (GC1G3X8) by Quilting Mom and Mike (1/1)
    Beer and Wings Sea Dog Style (GC1ZDH3) by Quilting Mom (1/1)
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    Right. So CARoper is wrong, as usual. LOL!