vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pay pal

d’76 Guest

Default pay pal

I need a little help. I got a bogus email the other day thanking me for my purchase of an ipod through paypal. I dont even have or use paypal. I went to there contact us webpage and you have to log on to get the phone number. Could someone with an account please log on and pm me the phone number. I have forwarded the info to spoof but they didnt give me any info weather this was going to be deducted form my account.

Thanks in advance

I am a little confused. If you do not have or use paypal then how are they going to deduct it from an account you don't have?

If this is the case I would not worry about it.
    Blazing Troll

The email was most likely sent in order to lure you into a bogus paypal site. If you did have a paypal account and had entered your info, they would have been able to use your login to access your account and do as they wished.

Just going to the bogus site they could have put spyware on your system. More than likely, they just wanted your paypal info. These people will use bank names, ebay, and other business names to lure you in.

Paypal's phone system only lets registered users call them - you have to log in, they give you a temporary pin number and the number to call or email. I believe they will refuse calls or email not originating from the ones listed in your account records. I do find it odd there is no readily available contact information for non-members, however! I did find one phone number that might get you in, 1-888-221-1161.

If you want to make sure no one created an account using your email, just go to paypal.com where you log in and click the "forgot password" link. From there, enter your email address they will attempt to send you an email with a password. If someone did create an account under your email, you will be able to log in using that password and alert paypal. If your email is not connected to a paypal account, you will get an error message they the account was not found.

I get these emails a lot, and every once in a while they appear to come from a business that I do do business with, often claiming there is a need to change my account information. Many of the ebay ones claim someone has a question about an item I am selling, which I am not selling at all. They just want your login info. You have to be very careful when you get these things.

Depending on your email application, you can sometimes spot these bogus companies. When you hold your mouse over the link you are supposed to go to in the email, it usually shows the location of that link in the status bar at the bottom of the email program. if the account is from paypal, it should say something like www.paypal.com/login/etc./etc./. If it's a bogus link it's often something like 187.234.23.1/paypal/account/etc./etc. , or paypal.bogus_site.com/etc./etc.. Unfortunately, you can't rely on that all the time.

Your best bet in all cases is to call them directly (not using the phone number that might be in the email!) or just go to the actual web site using the real URL. If they have a need for you to change your information, they will prompt you to do so there.
    Last edited by brdad; 03-31-2008 at 11:14 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Sounds like phishing season to me.

Also, if you get emails like this from either PayPal or eBay, you can forward the email to spoof@paypal.com or spoof@ebay.com. Be sure and include all hearders.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    Sounds like phishing season to me.
    There is NO closed season on phishing! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Be sure and include all hearders.
    ...Moo?

d’76 Guest

Thanks everyone, I just spoke with paypal using the info that BRDad provided and it is infact a fake.
    I am not easly fooled and would like to think that I am smarter then that however it looked pretty damn real. Infact I was heading down to my bank just before I called them to put a stop payment on anything from paypal. It was going to cost 25 bucks but that is better then the alternative. On thing that the woman that I spoke with mentioned is that if it was infact from paypal it would have said Dear David ******, not dear paypal member and that is how mine started. So, thankfully that scare is over and thanks for your help folks.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976 View Post
    Thanks everyone, I just spoke with paypal using the info that BRDad provided and it is infact a fake.
    I am not easly fooled and would like to think that I am smarter then that however it looked pretty damn real. Infact I was heading down to my bank just before I called them to put a stop payment on anything from paypal. It was going to cost 25 bucks but that is better then the alternative. On thing that the woman that I spoke with mentioned is that if it was infact from paypal it would have said Dear David ******, not dear paypal member and that is how mine started. So, thankfully that scare is over and thanks for your help folks.
    I for one speak in favor of Dave, he showed me the e-mail and it looked exactly like a paypal receipt, it was very well done to look legit. kinda scary the scams those people think of...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    I for one speak in favor of Dave, he showed me the e-mail and it looked exactly like a paypal receipt, it was very well done to look legit. kinda scary the scams those people think of...
    That's the problem, and when you click the link it takes you to a page that looks just like the actual web site.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."