vb:literal>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Delorme PN-20

I talked with one of the managers at Delorme today and they are going to look at my GPS again and recheck the seals on it. This person seems like he is willing to work this out so maybe we can both come away happy. Will let you know how it truns out.

I know I'm not really welcome in posting but hope to prevent one person from making the mistake I did. After months of waiting for just the right time to go to Sherbrooke Quebec on a try for 100 caches in a day, I was planning on going tomorrow. While trying to download caches to my PN-20, I was forced to upload a new program with no option of not doing so. When I did this, I lost all ability to download caches and the computer doesn't recognize that the GPS is hooked to it. I have had nothing but trouble with the Delorme since I got it and it is mostly because of their constant upgrades and "improvements". I have now lost my chance for the caching run and as a matter of fact I cannot do any caching at all unless I do caches in the Waterville area that robt was nice enough to download for me at Gob-lers event. I wish I'd stayed with Garmin and certainly tell as many people as will listen not to buy from a Maine company.

Default Deep down inside, I really want to support the Maine company.

Quote Originally Posted by darterkitfox View Post
    I know I'm not really welcome in posting but hope to prevent one person from making the mistake I did. After months of waiting for just the right time to go to Sherbrooke Quebec on a try for 100 caches in a day, I was planning on going tomorrow. While trying to download caches to my PN-20, I was forced to upload a new program with no option of not doing so. When I did this, I lost all ability to download caches and the computer doesn't recognize that the GPS is hooked to it. I have had nothing but trouble with the Delorme since I got it and it is mostly because of their constant upgrades and "improvements". I have now lost my chance for the caching run and as a matter of fact I cannot do any caching at all unless I do caches in the Waterville area that robt was nice enough to download for me at Gob-lers event. I wish I'd stayed with Garmin and certainly tell as many people as will listen not to buy from a Maine company.

I know how you feel. I own a 20 and owned a 40. I eventually took my 40 back for a refund. I too had to upload a link lately and now my computer will not recognize my gps and even if I hand enter the coords, the unit dumps them if I turn it off. This makes the 20 close to useless.

I really like the Delorme interface and think that it is more accurate under 50 feet than my Garmin. I really wish my PN-40 worked and I'm still trying hard to get used to the Oregon. I like it, I'm just getting used to it. I'm not completely turned off by the Delormes, and I hope that they work out the bugs in the PN-40 so I can try another unit in a year to two.
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    I really like the Delorme interface and think that it is more accurate under 50 feet than my Garmin. (
    Sheesh! It doesn't make any difference "how accurate" your GPSr is when you're searching for a cache. What's important is how accurate the GPSr of the cache owner was! LOL!

Keep in mind that a great many caches hidden are owned by cachers with limited experience (don't take multiple readings) and (usually) low-end starter GPSr's.

just gotta add to this thread that I really like my pn40 a lot. My experience with the unit and the company had been nothing but positive. I like the interface, the new Cache Register software, and the accuracy. I'm sorry to hear others haven't been as lucky. I had previously used an eTrex and a GPSMap60. This is a big step up from those. Don't know how it compares to the Oregon or Colorado, but so far I'm a happy camper...I mean geocacher.

I also have to add to this thread that I own a PN-20 and a PN-40 and absolutely love both of them and have not had a problem with either of them.
    Blazing Troll

Default Delorme PN-20 and '40

My wife told me about the recent posts and she said she wasn't sure what the problem was so I read the recent problems and still am not sure what the problem is??

I have BOTH the PN-20 and the PN-40 and they work great! I wouldn't trade them for any other gpsr at this time. Yes, there have been firmware updates for both gpsr's and they have been very beneficial to those who geocache. Maybe you should visit the forums at: http://forum.delorme.com/
    and find out more information about your problems.

When you get it working, you will love it. JMHO
    Wandering with a purpose!

Default Please don't get me wrong

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I also have to add to this thread that I own a PN-20 and a PN-40 and absolutely love both of them and have not had a problem with either of them.

It's not that I didn't like the 20/40. In fact I really loved them. The biggest issue I had with my 40 was I couldn't get it to turn on unless it was connected to an external power source. My 20 is starting to have memory issues. I think that maybe I was unlucky with the 40 and I've had my 20 for a few years. It was just upsetting to drive down to Yarmouth two weekends in a row and not be able to cache on those trips. Delorme is coming out with a 30 this summer. I just want small things to work on my GPS, like the ability to turn it on.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! It doesn't make any difference "how accurate" your GPSr is when you're searching for a cache. What's important is how accurate the GPSr of the cache owner was! LOL!

Keep in mind that a great many caches hidden are owned by cachers with limited experience (don't take multiple readings) and (usually) low-end starter GPSr's.

I've made that mistake and had to correct it. I need the ability to get in close with my gps because sometimes you have to beat me over the head with obvious finds!! (I'm just glad I haven't walked off a cliff yet)
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Quote Originally Posted by parmachenee View Post
    I have BOTH the PN-20 and the PN-40 and they work great! I wouldn't trade them for any other gpsr at this time.
    Sheesh! You like it better than your Garmin 60CSX???

I just bought a new Nikon digital camera - are you telling me I need to upgrade my GPSr as well???

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    Delorme is coming out with a 30 this summer.
    What is that, something in between a PN-20 and a PN-40?
    Blazing Troll