vb:literal>

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Time for a Rant: Travel Bug Goals

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    I have "The Moxie Bug" traveling around - currently in Alabama. Some time ago, a cacher in Michigan had it and emailed me asking about Moxie. I, being a nice guy, offered to send them a can of Moxie. They accepted the offer, I spent $5 to send it, but never heard from them again - not even a 'thank you".

(Oh - and I just checked. "The Moxie Bug" is not located in the cache it's listed in. Seems many other TB's have vanished from that cache as well...)

Well, d'uh Bruce . . . poor guy probably took one swig of that Moxie thinking it was orange soda and then thought you were trying to poison him. No wonder you never heard from him again.

Like many things in life, Moxie is most definitely an acquired taste . . . I love the stuff personally and find it to be one of the more refreshing sodas, but I dislike the diet stuff (unlike other diet sodas) so I only drink the real McCoy once in a blue moon (about as often as I drink Woodchuck Ciders) so they're a real treat.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Default Travel Bugs

We sent out 3 travel bugs all of which went missing shortly after their release. We have helped many a TB along on their quest and will continue to do so but have been pretty discouraged as TB owners.
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

Quote Originally Posted by pjpreb View Post
    We have helped many a TB along on their quest and will continue to do so but have been pretty discouraged as TB owners.
    It was interesting to see the travel bug area at GeoWoodstock 5. They had a BIG tent, and tables with big bins on them, all labeled with the geographic goals of the TB's. (For some reason, the New England bin was always pretty empty! LOL!)

We brought back many bugs, and knowing that we were going to be vacationing in Quebec, took as many Canada-bound TB's as we thought we could move.

We were especially impressed by an obviously German couple who were grabbing MANY TB's from the Europe-bound bin. I thought that was great!

(I admit that I am amazed that , if you visit the GeoWoodstock 5 website now, ther are NO TB's still listed on the site. I consider this AMAZING!!!

d’76 Guest

It was interesting to see the travel bug area at GeoWoodstock 5. They had a BIG tent, and tables with big bins on them, all labeled with the geographic goals of the TB's. (For some reason, the New England bin was always pretty empty! LOL!)

We brought back many bugs, and knowing that we were going to be vacationing in Quebec, took as many Canada-bound TB's as we thought we could move.

We were especially impressed by an obviously German couple who were grabbing MANY TB's from the Europe-bound bin. I thought that was great!

(I admit that I am amazed that , if you visit the GeoWoodstock 5 website now, ther are NO TB's still listed on the site. I consider this AMAZING!!!

Bruce... Your up aweful late

Question

Devils advocate here, but I find it very hard to believe that with the amount of bugs that went through there, something didn't go askew. Then I remembered, they cataloged all the numbers so if something did go missing, they could have just marked it unknown location or move it to a graveyard somewhere. I could be wrong and indeed the process was perfect, but tell me again how many bugs went through there? Anybody remember?

Update: 6157 and here's one that didn't make it from the first 40 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976 View Post
    Bruce... Your up aweful late
    LOL! I had to go to a meeting - logged on when I got home!

Quote Originally Posted by Cache Maine View Post
    Devils advocate here, but I find it very hard to believe that with the amount of bugs that went through there, something didn't go askew. Then I remembered, they cataloged all the numbers so if something did go missing, they could have just marked it unknown location or move it to a graveyard somewhere. I could be wrong and indeed the process was perfect, but tell me again how many bugs went through there? Anybody remember?

Update: 6157 and here's one that didn't make it from the first 40 or so.
    They must have moved all tb's taken but not logged out into the "unknown location" category.

Default Stranded Travel Bug is on the Move!

I've ranted before about our Maine Chickadee Plate TB being stranded on an island off the coast of Sweden for the last 11 months.

(That's another rant! I don't think people should place TB's in out-of-the way caches. Unless it's their own TB. Most TB owners want their bugs to MOVE! LOL!)

Well, the TB has been picked up and is on the move. For what it's worth, here's the log entry:

"Denna TB har ju legat här länge, så nu får den röra på sig."

Why do I think that the entry says "This TB has been here too long! LOL!

I have had mixed luck with TB and GeoCoins. I now have had two GeoCoins since leaving ME that I cannot find. They might be in my car stranded in ME (see post largest TB ever here) or within all my stuff that was moved for me while I was at the funeral in TX. I did post notes to both of the owners letting them know what was up.

My biggest problem is with cache owners that report my GeoCoins as "location unknown" and don't even bother to communicate with the owner. One even got peaved with me for asking for more information when what he told me did not match with any of the log entries.

Twice though with my Army GeoCoin I have gotten messages say my child pick this up and did not realize what it was. Both time the GeoCoin was placed into another cache without being properly logged. Made for some work for me to straighten out the logs, but I wasglad for the email and for the GeoCoins return.

I haved moved many TB and GeoCoins all over the northeast and south central US and have had great fun doig it.

The one other problem I have had is with TB that have no information attached to them. Then when I get to a location where I can get internet access and log them only to find out I have carried them many, if not hundreds of, miles in the wronge direction. One in VA I picked up near DC on my way home from VA to OH. When I got home I found out it was trying to get to the White House, Oooops. It had started in Iowa and it was more than halfway back home.

One last frustration is when I notice that cachers have been visiting a cache but continue to leave a travel bug there. Even if they don't want to take it with them a discovery note would be nice so that I at least know that it is in fact still there.

Pete
    aka PLMerry
    Pete

Yesturday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift.

I messed up on a TB pick-up and drop-off last week as I did the pick-up and drop-off in the same day and didn't record the TB number properly for some reason. Fortunately I was able to contact the TB owner and he sent me the correct number and I was able to fix my mistake.

I agree with you on the lack of mission messages -- I too have picked up a TB and then found out that I could not help it out on its mission and may have in fact set it back somewhat . . . I also had the same thing happen to one of my TBs (which had a mission statement attached to it even) where it almost reached the designated cache in Alaska . . . and then a cacher brought it all the way back to New Hampshire.

I try to move TBs whenever I come across them and find that oftentimes moving them to caches close to main drags, tourist areas or new caches will help move them along a bit faster. I will confess however that I have passed up some TBs on occasion for various reasons (i.e. size of TB, mission of TB, not going caching anytime soon, etc.) and I suppose you're right . . . marking it down as a find would be reassuring for the cache owner. Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by PLMerry View Post
    I have had mixed luck with TB and GeoCoins. I now have had two GeoCoins since leaving ME that I cannot find. They might be in my car stranded in ME (see post largest TB ever here) or within all my stuff that was moved for me while I was at the funeral in TX. I did post notes to both of the owners letting them know what was up.

My biggest problem is with cache owners that report my GeoCoins as "location unknown" and don't even bother to communicate with the owner. One even got peaved with me for asking for more information when what he told me did not match with any of the log entries.

Twice though with my Army GeoCoin I have gotten messages say my child pick this up and did not realize what it was. Both time the GeoCoin was placed into another cache without being properly logged. Made for some work for me to straighten out the logs, but I wasglad for the email and for the GeoCoins return.

I haved moved many TB and GeoCoins all over the northeast and south central US and have had great fun doig it.

The one other problem I have had is with TB that have no information attached to them. Then when I get to a location where I can get internet access and log them only to find out I have carried them many, if not hundreds of, miles in the wronge direction. One in VA I picked up near DC on my way home from VA to OH. When I got home I found out it was trying to get to the White House, Oooops. It had started in Iowa and it was more than halfway back home.

One last frustration is when I notice that cachers have been visiting a cache but continue to leave a travel bug there. Even if they don't want to take it with them a discovery note would be nice so that I at least know that it is in fact still there.

Pete
    aka PLMerry
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."