vb:literal>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter Cache Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    In response to the inquiry as whether to log a cache you find but is frozen solid, it's an individual decision but certainly an argument can be made that it's better to log the find rather then destroy the cache trying to get into it.

I have 4 Pelican cases to put out. ...............Pelican makes the best cases, period..............They're expensive but these will last................
    Logging caches - it all depends on how you play the game. Some people say if you don't sign the log it doesn't count for a . Other people - it doesn't matter. It's only a game = play it as you wish. The cache owner holds the final card because they can delete your log if they wish.

I found a cache a few weeks ago with little snow. It wasn't frozen in - and was a very unusual container.......but the cover which was threaded was frozen on tight! Because of the material and design, I did try to bang the cover loose = no luck! I think if some vaseline had been placed on the threads it wouldn't have frozen shut. So being unable to sign the log, I didn't take the find.

My daughter suggested had I taken my bag on the hike, I could have put a sticker on the outside of the container or signed it with a Sharpie marker. She always has great ideas. Of course a sharpie sign on a ice cube would melt - and the sticker would become geojunk! LOL

Pelican cases - they rock. Last year, after Marden's bought out a sporting goods store, I found some there. They were small - about the size for a wallet, cell phone or cache - $1.49/each. I really didn't realize what a buy they were so only bought a few. I should have bought the whole display! LOL Anyway - if anyone is close to Marden's that is something they have been known to carry.
    Last edited by hollora; 01-19-2009 at 03:43 PM. Reason: shortening

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Logging caches -
    My daughter suggested had I taken my bag on the hike, I could have put a sticker on the outside of the container or signed it with a Sharpie marker. She always has great ideas. Of course a sharpie sign on a ice cube would melt - and the sticker would become geojunk! LOL
    Perhaps a photo along with your log, not being a spoiler, of course. It's Maine, it's winter, it's sub-freezing temps. But with innovative ideas like EMSDanel's and other suggestions, the activity continues! Sure is nice seeing new caches popping up this time of year.....gives me hope that warmer weather is eventually coming.
    Last edited by pm28570; 01-19-2009 at 06:18 PM. Reason: additional text.

Default As Hollora said.......

My personal rule is: If I don't sign the log, I don't claim a find. I am also the rare cacher that doesn't attend his own events. We all play the game our own way. Not to say it's right or wrong, just different.
    Happy Trails!

Nice to see this topic. I've been to three caches in the last few weeks that have been iced in for the winter. The worst one was a nalgene bottle sitting in a stump. It was upright, but was leaning against the side so I couldn't untwist the top. So frustrating! Keeping a list of spring revisits and waiting for the snow to melt!

Quote Originally Posted by Trick or Treat View Post
    Nice to see this topic. I've been to three caches in the last few weeks that have been iced in for the winter. The worst one was a nalgene bottle sitting in a stump. It was upright, but was leaning against the side so I couldn't untwist the top. So frustrating! Keeping a list of spring revisits and waiting for the snow to melt!
    Very good choice. It is better to put it on the list of ones to revist then to try and chip the ice away and possible damage or crack the container it is in and then the cache becomes damaged.
    Blazing Troll

I started this thread by saying I had scoped out a cache location and wanted to keep it "winter-friendly" so I bought a star-shaped cookie cutter to place the cache on to keep it elevated out of any ice. Well, leave it to me....I had afterthoughts that the cookie cutter might not be enough. I'm that same guy that thinks if one nail will do then 10 will be that much better. So....I devised a stand for the cache to sit on. Wide PVC base at the top and bottom with a PVC pipe in the middle which elevates the cache about 10". A drain in the top like you would see in the floor of your shower. Screening over that so the cache always sits horizontal. And a topper over the cache so no snow or rain hits it. With my luck, though, this will probably turn into a winter condo for some animal like my Snipe Hunt #2 cache seems to be. Anyway, just doing my part to promote winter caching. The cache is in Ellsworth and was submitted tonight.

I thought I had a great Winter cache idea, until someone in the Alaskan forums set me straight.

DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Very good choice. It is better to put it on the list of ones to revist then to try and chip the ice away and possible damage or crack the container it is in and then the cache becomes damaged.
    yes, I broke a cache a couple of weeks ago!! Now, if I'm near by, I'll go back later. If it's a long ways off, and I pysically touch the cache, but can't reach the log; I log it as a find unless the cache owner objects.

Default If you don't sign the log it's not a find!

DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    I am also the rare cacher that doesn't attend his own events.
    I was just reading through some older post and came across this bit of wisdom and was wondering who was that BEARDED MAN.