vb:literal>

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Winter Caching

d’76 Guest

Celebrate 2008 Cache and Carry

Smile winter activities now and later

Winter activities have begun!
    http://www.geocachingmaine.org/galle...php/photo/2655
    Winter camping and caching this past weekend.
    How has your winter caching been going?

Remember there'll be events this winter too:
    M.G.A. CHRISTMAS PARTY(Event Cache)(GC1J2BG)
    Date: 12/12/2008 by Maine Geocaching Association
    Be an Elf for a Day Geo Greet V.2 (Event Cache)(GC1HN4P)
    Date: 12/20/2008 by Santa Claus
    Celebrate 2008 - "No Cache too Small!"(Event Cache)(GC1J9Q8)
    Date: 1/25/2009 by Kaching Karen
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Hey guys - looks like you had a good time this weekend - and the weather cooperated with the white stuff! Clear roads from here yesterday AM to Boston and nearly all the way home. Not that the dog is home, I am ok with the white stuff.

Caching will be what it is. I tried to make Cool Tools winter friendly when I fixed it. Two folks have found it now - so it should be one for folks to do.

Cache On - Cache Happy!

Default Winter Camping

Yep, our winter camping has begun. It was a blast. Tat and I got there late on Friday night and I crawled into my sleeping bag at midnight. I didn't do my usual routine of the little things that keep me warm and had cold tootsies all night. Otherwise, the next night and the whole weekend was a blast. Thanks to Number seven (who let me drive his Jeep), Vicbiker (great tour guide on-a-crutch), Medawisla, Hiram, Mainiac1957 and tat (thanks for going to the basketball game with me: therefore, late arrival on Friday night), who are always keen on our little adventures. Where to next?

I was glad to see this thread at the top of my New Posts lists because winter caching is something I've been wondering about. A lot of caches I've done said that they were winter friendly, but many of them also required bushwacking. I suppose that might be easier in the winter when you're not fighting your way through brush, but what I want to know is if there are levels of winter friendliness. What's the criteria? Is a cache considered winter friendly if it's more than 3' off the ground? Or is there more to it? Do COs usually archive their caches temporarily in the winter?

I've held off on doing some caches that say they are on snowshoe trails so I can do them later and there are always the GRCs to rely on, but how do I go about finding real winter caches?

Thumbs up hardcore cachers

I'm glad to hear that all of the 'crazy' winter campers arrived with all of thier fingers and toes intact from the weekend. Winter camping is an activity I have not tried since boy scouts. I'm a little intrigued by the idea, but I think that it would be a bad job with the little ones. The weather was nice, however. I have first hand knowledge as I was standing outside at midnight, running an OUI roadblock. Unfortunately, people drink and drive during the winter as well. I have to admit, the idea of winter roadblocks sounded much nicer in September....... Mainiac said he grabbed 22 on facebook. Boy that gives me the itch. It's early winter caching next weekend as we go looking for a Christmas tree. I think now might be the perfect time as the snow is not deep and the leaves are all gone. We will be looking back on this weather with sighs in another month, so I have to finish my fix now. Anyone know of any active TB hotels? I have a few I'd like to drop off.
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Thumbs up keep exploring ways to get out

Quote Originally Posted by Trick or Treat View Post
    I want to know is if there are levels of winter friendliness. What's the criteria? Is a cache considered winter friendly if it's more than 3' off the ground? Or is there more to it? Do COs usually archive their caches temporarily in the winter?

I've held off on doing some caches that say they are on snowshoe trails so I can do them later and there are always the GRCs to rely on, but how do I go about finding real winter caches?
    What great questions. There isn't a ranking of winter caches, maybe because so few cachers really cache in the winter, but it would be cool. You can search the attributes, but as you found it's very subjective. Some think guard rails are winter friendly, but as far as I've seen, those are the first areas to become inaccessible in the winter due to plowing piles. It's fun to save trails for snowshoeing; keep your eyes open for the post- WWWWWWW Event snowshoeing adventure. Some of the best winter caches have detailed descriptions that state how they are winter friendly, above ground so many feet, and are protected from being frozen in place, etc etc. Others you have to use creative thought to see they're great winter caches like those on islands in our lakes; if they're above snow level, they could be a really fun snowshoe or snowmobile ride across the lake to the island to find.

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    Anyone know of any active TB hotels? I have a few I'd like to drop off.
    No, but I have a TB that sadly did not get dropped this past weekend.
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Yeah, it was definitely a great time. And Vic once again amazed us all, but doing Deathwish 2 on crutches, and still beating us all to the top... (I really wish I could be in your physical condition when I get to be that age! Heck, I wish I was in that kind of physical condition now!) Tom and I definitely stayed warm in the evening by attemping to chop Vics prank wood. the downside was my sleeping bag zipper broke the first night and was constantly waking up freezing my buns off, should've called it quits then, but stayed the second night and I think I did some damage.. The caches in that area were an extreme treat, you guys sure put a lot of effort into those and make it worth the trip! The jeepin around was very cool (although I did have some sad flashback moments... ) It was an all around awesome trip and can't wait for the next one! (after I do some gear upgrades...)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Default Winter caching preparedness

As has been said many times before. Preparation and gear selection is the number one factor for winter camping and caching. I do have my secret weapon for staying warm camping. Two small, but very warm dogs. They kept me so toasty Friday night at 8 degrees. This past weekend was a really good time. Thanks Vic for the petrified wood. The comedy team of Tom and Aaron was sooooo entertaining while chopping them. Got to take the new jeep through a few muddy spots.
    Happy Trails!