vb:literal>

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Winter Caching

Best thing about wood heat is it heats you up 6 times: when you cut it, lug it, stack it, split it, lug it and then when you burn it! Ok, 5 times anyway!
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Trick or Treat View Post
    I was glad to see this thread at the top of my New Posts lists because winter caching is something I've been wondering about. A lot of caches I've done said that they were winter friendly, but many of them also required bushwacking. I suppose that might be easier in the winter when you're not fighting your way through brush, but what I want to know is if there are levels of winter friendliness. What's the criteria? Is a cache considered winter friendly if it's more than 3' off the ground? Or is there more to it? Do COs usually archive their caches temporarily in the winter?

I've held off on doing some caches that say they are on snowshoe trails so I can do them later and there are always the GRCs to rely on, but how do I go about finding real winter caches?
    Winter is a good time to grab those "Lake and Pond" caches. Some caches are on islands.......if you don't have a boat, wait till winter and walk to them. I got my first 150 caches in the snow, last year! A lot of poking and digging, for sure. NO BUGS!! NO MUD!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mapachi View Post
    Winter is a good time to grab those "Lake and Pond" caches. Some caches are on islands.......if you don't have a boat, wait till winter and walk to them. I got my first 150 caches in the snow, last year! A lot of poking and digging, for sure. NO BUGS!! NO MUD!!
    What a great plan!!! There is at least one cache on an island in McGrath pond here in town. With the exception of the Messalonskee Trail series (I'm waiting for my wifes ankle to mend enough that we can do the whole thing together), I've grabbed every landbound cache in Oakland and was wondering how to get to that. I am now excited for ice. Really, only a little excited. They are still caching in 70 degree weather in Florida
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    Best thing about wood heat is it heats you up 6 times: when you cut it, lug it, stack it, split it, lug it and then when you burn it! Ok, 5 times anyway!

dont forget moving the ashes

Vic is there still plans to another April 2009 winter overnight event in Abbot?
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Vic is there still plans to another April 2009 winter overnight event in Abbot?
    Rick we have already been making plans for another winter camping event. The plan this year is to have the event closer to the road, where there is better parking. I'll be updating as time goes on, but this should be the best one yet. See ya there.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976 View Post
    dont forget moving the ashes
    We did forget the ashes. Missed a great chance to warm up!
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

"ORANGE" Kashing Karen said. Orange ?? Ya-thats what you will get if you hit Brad's yellow Jeep with this red one. Cute-And yes it was a ball. My thanks to all of you hardy souls .It was fun.

You Guys Should Have Made It An Event. Sounds Like You Had A Lot Of Fun. With Out The Cold You Might See Me Do Something Like That. Where My Jeep Is Black Would That Make It Dark Orange?

Quote Originally Posted by hide_from_the_kids View Post
    You Guys Should Have Made It An Event. Sounds Like You Had A Lot Of Fun. With Out The Cold You Might See Me Do Something Like That. Where My Jeep Is Black Would That Make It Dark Orange?
    Only if you let "Krashing Karen" drive her orange Jeep into it.