vb:literal>

Thread: kidnapped travelbugs

Angry kidnapped travelbugs

I have a small cache in a small town that gets plenty of visitors. One in particular is not welcomed. I'm getting replies saying the travel bugs left in the cache are gone. I check the cache often where I live nearby, but I can't watch it 24/7. I believe it is somebody watching the posts and gets out before somebody else can get to the cache. At this point I may just archive the cache until spring hoping the kidnapper forgets. Any suggestions??
    You haven't had fun unless you've come back hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by laxreff View Post
    I have a small cache in a small town that gets plenty of visitors. One in particular is not welcomed. I'm getting replies saying the travel bugs left in the cache are gone. I check the cache often where I live nearby, but I can't watch it 24/7. I believe it is somebody watching the posts and gets out before somebody else can get to the cache. At this point I may just archive the cache until spring hoping the kidnapper forgets. Any suggestions??
    I think the easy way to deal with it without going through all the work of catching the kidnapper would be to switch the container over to a micro or a smaller container that is too small for folks to leave TB's in. If there are no TB's there would be no incentive for the bad guy and yet the cache site will not have to go away.

Happy Holidays!!!

Or one other thing you could do is change the location and make it a members only cache. Myself I'm not a big fan of MOC's but on my Cache Across America cache in Augusta I made it a MOC only because I originally had some nice TB's and coins in it, and after they were all taken I then changed it to a regular cache. Not even that was good enough as the green Jeep TB that was in it was taken by some members and that hasn't surfaced since then. Oh well, you can't win them all. That's the chance one takes I guess.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Default TB's not welcome

I have had several TB's placed in caches, (not mine) that have been "lost". I have seen the cache owners post to the cache page, " this cache is not a good place to leave TB's". ( or something to that effect ). If cachers don't leave em they can't be muggled. Or as TRF said. Make it a micro. ( then there are micro chip coins ) Good luck. Must be a good cache if it gets visited often.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

ZI rteally hate to place any kind of 'limits' on a cache because I feel they should be free for all, but I also dislike the idea of somebody being selfish enough to ruin it all for others. I'll give it more thought after the Holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    I have had several TB's placed in caches, (not mine) that have been "lost". I have seen the cache owners post to the cache page, " this cache is not a good place to leave TB's". ( or something to that effect ). If cachers don't leave em they can't be muggled. Or as TRF said. Make it a micro. ( then there are micro chip coins ) Good luck. Must be a good cache if it gets visited often.
    Good idea on the "no tb's please' in the cache. When I'm done here I'll edit the listing in hopes the kidnapper will move along.

d’76 Guest

I would pick up one of these and hide in the bushes. Set an example of one and the rest will know better

http://automatic-pistol.freeonlinegames.com/

At least they are not stealing the entire cache. One particular cache of ours has been stolen for a 2nd time. I am suspecting someone in the area uses the coords to steal the cache and thinks it's great fun. The cache has been replaced for the 3rd time and this time we had to make it MOC. Didnt want to, but could not chain the container to the rock.
    team pirate island

I recently released a TB/GC cache that is also members only in Maine to be safe. I have luckily lost only 1 coin and 1 travel bug so far. Funny story on the travel bug I lost. I tried to contact the last cacher who logged the missing bug serveral times without any response. So tonight I took the duplicate tb-tag, and made a resuce bug to go out and find it. We'll see what turns up. For a chuckle, reference : TB11RY9

My new Coin Emporium I chose to make members only for a while. Christmas, new cachers learning, etc. I will change it in a while.

Duplicate TBs do work. But it is a shame to have to go to those extremes. Folks are doing that with coins in New Brunswick Canada.

I have had two TBs - vanish and then reappear. The first was taken by a novice cacher. They were with experienced cachers. A note to the mentors facilitated the TB being logged and released again.

Second story was weird for sure. TB put in a cache with a passport. Friends visited the cache to pick up the TB and found just the passport - no bug but didn't read the log in detail. Original person who dropped it went back to read the log and got the name of who signed it out on the log.

Emailed that cacher who denied having the TB............months later it is found in the cache by another cacher and logged. It is moving again.

Who knows - strange. As stated before - you take a risk when you release them. A micro would totally resolve the problem.

Good luck. I hope this doesn't get worse.