vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need to upgrade

Default Need to upgrade

We presently have a Garmin Map76cs. We chose that one because of it marine applications. My husband has decided that we seem to enjoy our family time moore when we are geocaching than out on the Boat. The decision has been made to sell the boat and get a better gps. I am looking for opinions on which might be better, the 60CSX or the 76CSX.

Hmmmm, seems to me that a "better" GPSr isn't necessarily going to allow you to find more geocaches quicker or with more enjoyment. While it would be nice to have a newer GPSr, and if I were to buy one, it would likely be the 60CSx. I like the style of it and I have been told it will acquire satellites quicker and within buildings. Although, I find that I generally don't cache indoors and that acquiring satellites 10, 15 seconds or even 5 minutes faster doesn't really offer me any competitive edge as rarely am I engaged in geocaching at a competitive level. I also believe that Bluechart SD cards can be bought for marine navigation but if your selling the boat then that isn't a big concern.
    You may consider a laptop too. On my laptop I have GSAK and mapsource, delormes street atlas and topo and microsoft streets. I can connect the GPSr to the laptop and have a 17 inch screen to navigate steets with. Then on long rides the kids can watch DVD's or play games. Another benefit is that you can pretty much find wireless internet everywhere and that has proven the biggest "save the day" feature I have when out geocaching.

Cache On!!!

Since the software interface and functionality is just about the same on both the 60 and 76, it really comes down to which unit you like better. If you can find someone to cache with for a couple of hours who will let you use a 60CSx (good luck prying it from their hand ) try it and see for yourself. Then you can make a better decision about an upgrade to another 76 or swap to the 60.

Sounds like you need to cache more by boat!

But seriously, the two units have the same size screen. The 76 floats, the 60 sinks but is somewhat water proof. The 76 has more memory, but both have plenty. Both have sd cards, so memory is only limited by the sd card(s).

The base map in any of the units is not that great and can send you the wrong way. Consider getting Metroguide or City select.

Reaction time and ability to aquire satelites in tree cover would make things more enjoyable. I get frustrated when the kids are asking questions and I'm walking in circles. Upgrading will also alow the girls to get their grimey paws on the "older" unit instead of the one that is mine. I'll have to ride to Beans and check them both out.

We've never tried the 76, but we are VERY happy with the 60csx. Have NEVER lost a signal in the woods, and while driving, have only lost a signal while going through a tunnel! LOL!

Default Shop around

You had the 76 so are probally used to it's placement of the buttons. My advice is to shop around. I just helped Ordinary Shark with the same question. He looked on the internet and found it for around 350.00. I paid 399.00 for mine at EMS on sale. The software, will probally set you back another 100.00 to 125.00. Enjoy the new world of "x" treme geocaching.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Post I've owned a 60CSx since July...

Well, I can attest to the accuracy and speed of the 60CSx. It locks on anywhere from 5 - 45 seconds depending when I last had it on and how far I've travelled from when it was turned off. Indoors and under really dense tree foilage is downright freaky: it will lock in in less than 45 seconds usually and keep to under 50ft accuracy in the worst conditions. Under ideal conditions it is usually around 12ft accuracy. It's a major improvement in reception over the 60CS, and that was pretty good to begin with!

As with any Garmin, basemap is useless unless you are on the Interstate. I got Topo and City Navigator 8. I wish you could overlay them instead of switching between them, but it works regardless.

There aren't very many differences at all between the 60CSx and the 76CSx. You can easily upgrade the memory in the 60CSx. I got the 60CSx becuase I liked the smaller size and the button placement over the 76CSx. Also, the 60CSx has a $50 rebate right now until the end of the year. I haven't tried to see if the 60CSx floats or sinks (I've heard it doesn't sink very fast though). Both are equally as waterproof, and about the best in the industry, so... whatever floats your boat...

I have played with both the 60csx and the 76c and found them to be good units. I have liked my 60csx and like the button placement. As for memory, both use a transflash memory card and I would reccomend getting a 1 gig card for either one. I hope you enjoy whichever one you choose.

RobT

I, too, have the 60CSx and so far have found it easy to use. I have only used it a few times and look forward to using it more. I will say that the accuracy when I cached last was not very good. I seemed to be off a fair amount (50') from each cache I did even though the accuracy on the unit said around 20'. I need to play more for sure.

I got mine through GPSonSale. Right now, the 60CSx is $369 with a $50 rebate and the 76CSx is only $349!!! That is the lowest price I have seen and I have been watching them for months.

If you spend time on the water, it may be better to get the 76 since it is described to have better floating capability. Either way, I think you will be happy!
    ~ Beach Comber ~