vb:literal>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ATV trail tracks?

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chief613 View Post
    Flat . . . and boring that's actually what I'm lookin for, new to tail riding, is there any restrictions for 2 people on a one up machine, i have heard there are some in other part of the country and some trail systems. Thanks for the additional info, sounds great
    Leave it to Jake for not paying attenion. I knew exactly what you where looking for. You will enjoy this ride and especially with a rider. Connie rides on the back of my atv all the time. This trail would be a great starter. The other good one would be the Rail bed form Lagrange to Schoodic for a swim and a great veiw of Mt. Katadin. Bring a lunch. Round trip is about 53 miles. We should all plan a day trip or even a Friday trip. Let me know, I'm game.

I've GPS'd the major trails from Presque Isle to Van Buren and some of the links inbetween for my job and our ATV enforcement unit.

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Oh - I think I heard September as a whisper......please do tell..........not in conflict with the Commond Ground Fair, I hope, but since that is my BD - maybe I should offer to bring a cake if it is later??
    don't worry, as soon as plans are final then the event will be posted.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by chief613 View Post
    Flat . . . and boring that's actually what I'm lookin for, new to tail riding, is there any restrictions for 2 people on a one up machine, i have heard there are some in other part of the country and some trail systems. Thanks for the additional info, sounds great
    Ah . . . you're a wise one Chief . . . always good to start out on easy trails and learn. Hopefully you also didn't make the newbie mistake and go out and buy the biggest, baddest ATV you could find.

Since you're a beginner then I would say the Newport to Dover trail would be perfect for you . . . there are actually some nice views in places (i.e. beside the lake in Newport) and thanks to Menace66's caches you will stop in some places that I never noticed before while cruising by on the ATV . . . definitely take the time to stop and check out his caches and views. As I said once you get past the Irvings in Dover (you have to drive over an old -- and high -- railroad bridge to get there -- but fear not as it is now well planked and has railings -- something it didn't have when I first rode this trail) you want to go behind Irvings and follow the trail until you reach the T-intersection . . . I would then recommend going right and heading down the trail to the Bear's Den for a nice lunch. A word of caution . . . while this trail is flat there may be wash-outs, bumps, potholes, etc. and at the start of the trail and in Dexter there are lots of road crossings so just exercise some caution.

In answer to your question . . . yes . . . you can ride two-up on a one-person ATV . . . it just throws the weight balance off a bit. Usually this isn't a real issue as long as you get used to the extra weight and compensate for it with regard to breaking, navigating uneven terrain, etc. I would assume you also have a back seat/compartment attached to the ATV since your rider would find riding on the hard plastic or little bit of the seat behind you quite hard . . . if so make sure the seat/compartment is secured well to the ATV. Some folks also add foot pegs to this seat/compartment for added comfort for the rider if they're short-legged.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

ORCAs - calling all ORCAs - will there be - WILL there be a Tread Lightly Event this year? When, where, pleassseeee - let us know. I am anxiously awaiting to know as I have the 4 runner and Jake taught me what it might do. Pleasssseee!
    Don't be telling folks that I taught you what the 4Runner is capable of doing . . . it will make Hiram jealous and then he might be tempted to try to drive Medawisla's Scoobie Do in the same places.

. . . As Hiram mentioned he has plans in the works . . . I think he's tentatively calling the event "Tread Lightly 2009: I'm Calling Shotgun" and he was talking about hosting it in the Machias area possibly.

For anyone interested this event is really a lot of fun . . . the trails we go on are not so technical that you need a real rock crawler and loads of experience . . . but we do leave the tar and occasionally need to use the 4WD. For those without 4WD never fear . . . there's always plenty of room in the vehicles . . . and this is always a great way to nab some of those caches off the beaten path that would either require a long hike in or beat up a car's oil pan. Plus there's the added bonus of camping . . . and seeing me at an event.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Oh - I think I heard September as a whisper......please do tell..........not in conflict with the Commond Ground Fair, I hope, but since that is my BD - maybe I should offer to bring a cake if it is later??
    Most likely it will not be on the same weekend because Hiram and Medawisla often do the Commonground Event . . . well they did it last year . . . I had them camp out at my house . . . and the offer stands this year as well . . . in fact if memory serves me correctly there was some other cachers who were asking about camping and the Commonground Fair and I extended an invitation to them as well. When is the CGF anyways? By the way ol' Unity just got a lot "more" rural looking this past week as we've had a number of Amish move into the area . . . they have plans to start up a dairy farm, vegetable farm and even build a school for their children.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976 View Post
    Leave it to Jake for not paying attenion. I knew exactly what you where looking for. You will enjoy this ride and especially with a rider. Connie rides on the back of my atv all the time. This trail would be a great starter. The other good one would be the Rail bed form Lagrange to Schoodic for a swim and a great veiw of Mt. Katadin. Bring a lunch. Round trip is about 53 miles. We should all plan a day trip or even a Friday trip. Let me know, I'm game.
    We should organize an ATV/geocaching trip sometime . . . this could be a lot of fun if folks came out. Does Dave and Gail still ride with you guys . . . haven't heard or seen them in some time . . . in fact I just thought of them the other day since I was considering heading to PEI for a mini-vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint367 View Post
    I've GPS'd the major trails from Presque Isle to Van Buren and some of the links inbetween for my job and our ATV enforcement unit.
    Thank you for all that you guys do in the County . . . definitely one of my favorite places to ride.

I'll never forget my first riding experience in the County. Met up with a guy I met on-line from Washburn -- Roger Hewitt (aka Chief Wiggim.) Rog brought us up the RR line one day to Van Buren . . . when he turned on to the sidewalk I thought for sure he was going to get us in trouble . . . especially when a police officer drove by . . . but then the police officer just waved to us . . . such a different experience . . . such a nice experience. The next day we went down to Mapleton and the trails at Squa Pan. On other trips we have rode to Mars Hill and then further down to have lunch at the Blue Moose . . . trailered up to St. Agatha and rode to Fort Kent . . . can't say as though I've ever ridden on a bad trail in the County . . . in any season -- winter or summer.

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    We should organize an ATV/geocaching trip sometime . . . this could be a lot of fun if folks came out. Does Dave and Gail still ride with you guys . . . haven't heard or seen them in some time . . . in fact I just thought of them the other day since I was considering heading to PEI for a mini-vacation.

Dave and Gail still ride. We have gone on some real nice rides the pst few weeks. They have been super busy with the house renovations and they have family here from PEI for the week.

I was thinking of heading up to the county somewhere on an atv ride but it would only be a day trip. If it was going to be just a day trip leaving from Bangor area, does anyone have any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976 View Post
    Dave and Gail still ride. We have gone on some real nice rides the pst few weeks. They have been super busy with the house renovations and they have family here from PEI for the week.

I was thinking of heading up to the county somewhere on an atv ride but it would only be a day trip. If it was going to be just a day trip leaving from Bangor area, does anyone have any suggestions?
    Maybe some folks from the County could recommend some good trails. If I was just going up for a day trip I might unload somewhere in Houlton and ride up the trail to the Mars Hill area . . . maybe go a bit further to Presque Isle even. Mars Hill however is only open 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on weekends.