vb:literal>

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What Is Up With The Missing G-coins?

We like geo-coins...quite a bit. but we really just like to look at them. When I say we, I mean me and my youngest son. He was beside himself at the Quebec event the collections that we saw were amazing and the fact that most were trackable and activated was very cool.

We collect icons and we try to have fun doing it. We use teh coins as a way to learn about other people, places and things.

I have gotten emails form people accusing us of stealing their coins and it always makes me wonder if its worth moving coins. That has happened five or six times and in every case the coins turned up at a later date with an explanaion as to where they had been. phew!

We were thinking about releasing a keychain with all the traking numbers of the coins we lost so that peole can still collect the icons even if they can't see the real coin.
    What are your thoughts about that?

We own some coins, not as many as others and most of our coins are active. We carry them to events and let people see them and when we think they have been passed around enough we let them go. We have only bought a few coins, most of the ones we have came as door prises or were given to us as a gift. We have found two or three in caches unactivated, some with notes saying that they were a gift to whoever and other just there unactivated. In that case we try to figure out who left it by reading the logs to see if they ment to leave it in the cache unactivated. In one case we fould out that they hadn't known how to activate the coin so we helped them activate it and moved it on for them.
    We also leave coins unactivated in caches and sometimes give them to a cacher who the coin reminds us of.

I'm sure that their are people that steal coins just like thier are people who steal anything. But I have to believe that a fair amout of coins go missing by other means.

We have had some go missing, (some more than once). We have also had some travel for lots of miles.. One coin was lost after only being at one cache that we put it in. It was logged into an event but I was at that event and I never saw it there, doesn't mean it wasn't there, we hoped it would show up but it hasn't yet.

I have gotten emails from cachers letting me know that they picked up my coin months before and then got busy with life and forgot to log the coin and found it later in the bag they use to cache with.
    We have had coins lost under seats of rental cars, dropped on the trail to be picked up by another cacher. Moved to another cache and not logged.

There are a lot of ways to look at this. We know how it feels to loose a coin, and how it feels to be acused of stealing coins. we also know how it feels to loose somone elses coin. We walk 2 miles back on a trail the next day after tearing the car and backpacks apart just to make sure we looked every where. We did find it and know that others would do the same if it was our coin.

Clearly posted from the heart of a Family who goes the extra mile in logging Geocoins (and everything else too). If you have never read a discovery log of Team Richards - just go to their profile, find an icon they have discovered and read their log. It will be an entertaining and educational experience.

I personally watched the commitment of a father and son - in looking at coins in Quebec. The collections were amazing and it was wonderful for folks to bring all their coins to share for others to see.

Releasing a keychain with a facsimile of your "lost" coins and the tracking number sounds to me like a fun, creative and new concept. No different than folks doing a facsimile anyway rather than releasing the "real" coin or the cards that many print to take to events rather than risk taking their coins. Actually, I kind of like this idea and you could put a Fob in it labeled MIA geocoins for your discovery pleasure.

I tend to agree that I don't think Geocachers per se are intentionally stealing geocoins. Picking them up and perhaps dropping out of the sport, loosing them in a bag, misplacing them - there can be a lot of scenerios. I do believe non-cachers visit caches (someone does not need to be a cacher to own a GPSr get the coords with a dummy ID and go find a cache) or the same to visit an event. At every event does everyone get around to meet the new faces and people, to learn who they really are, remember the ID and then make sure they logged. All that is needed for the coords is an ID - that does not say you ever need to use it to log on-line.

Well, I like the keychain ID - gotta go check my coins in the field and see it I should create on too.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Richards View Post
    We like geo-coins...quite a bit. but we really just like to look at them. When I say we, I mean me and my youngest son. He was beside himself at the Quebec event the collections that we saw were amazing and the fact that most were trackable and activated was very cool.

We collect icons and we try to have fun doing it. We use teh coins as a way to learn about other people, places and things.

I have gotten emails form people accusing us of stealing their coins and it always makes me wonder if its worth moving coins. That has happened five or six times and in every case the coins turned up at a later date with an explanaion as to where they had been. phew!

We were thinking about releasing a keychain with all the traking numbers of the coins we lost so that peole can still collect the icons even if they can't see the real coin.

We own some coins, not as many as others and most of our coins are active. We carry them to events and let people see them and when we think they have been passed around enough we let them go. We have only bought a few coins, most of the ones we have came as door prises or were given to us as a gift. We have found two or three in caches unactivated, some with notes saying that they were a gift to whoever and other just there unactivated. In that case we try to figure out who left it by reading the logs to see if they ment to leave it in the cache unactivated. In one case we fould out that they hadn't known how to activate the coin so we helped them activate it and moved it on for them.
    We also leave coins unactivated in caches and sometimes give them to a cacher who the coin reminds us of.

I'm sure that their are people that steal coins just like thier are people who steal anything. But I have to believe that a fair amout of coins go missing by other means.

We have had some go missing, (some more than once). We have also had some travel for lots of miles.. One coin was lost after only being at one cache that we put it in. It was logged into an event but I was at that event and I never saw it there, doesn't mean it wasn't there, we hoped it would show up but it hasn't yet.

I have gotten emails from cachers letting me know that they picked up my coin months before and then got busy with life and forgot to log the coin and found it later in the bag they use to cache with.
    We have had coins lost under seats of rental cars, dropped on the trail to be picked up by another cacher. Moved to another cache and not logged.

There are a lot of ways to look at this. We know how it feels to loose a coin, and how it feels to be acused of stealing coins. we also know how it feels to loose somone elses coin. We walk 2 miles back on a trail the next day after tearing the car and backpacks apart just to make sure we looked every where. We did find it and know that others would do the same if it was our coin.

An update on the missing Maine International Coin. When I grabbed the Maine Coin I have in my possession last month I could not log it. I tried and got the "Not in the system" message. After a message from TeamUSA I rechecked the coin and have solved the mystery. Any of you that have shared your coins with me know how hard a time I have reading the tracking numbers on some of them. The coin that was missing had as last number a 0. Under a high powered magnifying glass that I use for fly tying I can see that half of the letter zero is missing and instead of a C it is a 0 with exactly half of the number missing.

I have left a message for Team USA asking what they want me to do with the coin and am awaiting a reply.

So I guess the lesson here is that if you get a "Not activated" type message get the biggest magnifier you can and look again.

Again my apology to TeamUSA for the problem with the coin.
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Gob-ler, ah, I, too, have a problem reading numbers. Hence, Team Richards will tell you I carry a fairly high powered loope. But not in the field.........

Everyone - Cache On - Cache Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Gob-ler, ah, I, too, have a problem reading numbers. Hence, Team Richards will tell you I carry a fairly high powered loope. But not in the field.........

Everyone - Cache On - Cache Happy!
    Hey, I also have hard time reading some of those. I carry a high powered William, even in the field
    Cache Happy

Default the more it's worth the quicker it disappears.......

Quote Originally Posted by Team Richards View Post
    I have come across a few cachers that are worried about their coins being taken and have released a wooden coin with the original coins likeness and tracking number on it. That way the coin gains mileage and stays in circulation. I think the key chain idea with all of the tracking numbers is a great idea. I have also seen the "drill a hole and insert the tag" idea. Noone wants to buy a coin on ebay that has a hole in it. Maybe someone should design a geocoin, that is riddled with holes, and call it " Not worth much, so keep me moving " geocoin. Good luck to all of you that put out coins and TB's.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    Maybe someone should design a geocoin, that is riddled with holes, and call it " Not worth much, so keep me moving " geocoin. Good luck to all of you that put out coins and TB's.
    Put me down for three (plus one of the platinum limited edition ones)

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    . . . Maybe someone should design a geocoin, that is riddled with holes, and call it " Not worth much, so keep me moving " geocoin. Good luck to all of you that put out coins and TB's.
    Great idea . . . but I'll save my money and just steal Sudonim's limited platinum edition.

And yes . . . this is a joke . . . I don't do coins . . . or events.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    I don't do coins . . . or events.
    Party POOPER!

Where the hell is that thing?

Quote Originally Posted by EvilHomer View Post
    Party POOPER!
    Correction . . . I have done every Tread Lightly Event . . . so my earlier statement isn't entirely accurate.

And . . . to tell the truth . . . I was lured to a Flash Mob Event/Mainiac B-Day Event since I truly wanted to wish Brad a Happy Birthday . . . and Hiram still claims that he saw me briefly at a WWWWWWWBig G Event . . . but then again Hiram also claims Sasquatch is real, aliens abducted him seven years ago and subjected him to various probes and tests and that the Loch Ness monster is alive and well in Unity Pond.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."