vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you ever go geocaching at night?

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    Yeah can't remember the name, but it was an interesting terrain.

I would have been petrified with a kid along.
    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...-8118096ae126#

Arizona State Nickname by Suited Pair. It's really a great cache, I think. However, I attempted right after being published on a drizzly day. With wet leaves, steep terrain and no assurance of grabbing a tree as you slid down, I decided to hold off for better conditions. I did go back....but one needs to be hyper-aware of where you step and the conditions.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Default Great Cache

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...-8118096ae126#

Arizona State Nickname by Suited Pair. It's really a great cache, I think. However, I attempted right after being published on a drizzly day. With wet leaves, steep terrain and no assurance of grabbing a tree as you slid down, I decided to hold off for better conditions. I did go back....but one needs to be hyper-aware of where you step and the conditions.

Yeah, this is a great one for sure but requires a bit of balance if you are going to attempt it in bad/wet weather. It's not a long walk to GZ but its mostly walking along a slope. I guess the good part is, if you go down, its mostly leaves and pine needles so you'll slide to the stream at the bottom nice and easy. Just watch out for the tree roots. They can be rough on the back side.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Default Do you ever go geocaching at night?

I think that over 50% of my finds have been at night. A lot of those have been coming home from day trips and getting out to stretch my legs near guardrails that looked more intereting (ie the nuvi beeped when I was coming up on it). I have had a couple of visits from the friendly men in blue wanting to know if I needed help, but in the woods, its usually beautiful and quiet. Very pleasant.

Default Night light

We cache a lot at night, especially on FTF runs. The Petzel head lights are great but be careful not to get a branch in your eye. I also have the infamous 20,000,000 candle power flashlight which can turn night into day!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    We cache a lot at night, especially on FTF runs. The Petzel head lights are great but be careful not to get a branch in your eye. I also have the infamous 20,000,000 candle power flashlight which can turn night into day!

What happened to the BIG light?
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

20,000,000 candle light is the BIG light! I found one 3 times that but it has to be plugged into the dryer outlet so it would be useless caching!

Quote Originally Posted by shuman road searchers View Post
    What happened to the BIG light?
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    20,000,000 candle light is the BIG light! I found one 3 times that but it has to be plugged into the dryer outlet so it would be useless caching!
    That must be the one we used that time that we had to tap into CMP's substation.LOL!
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

We have made a few nighttime finds, but I am easily spooked and clumsy, so it isn't wise for us.

In spite of the fact that I usually trip over roots, leaves, my own feet, etc. while doing them, we really enjoyed the caches in Maine that are made to be done at night. Offhand I can think of:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...aspx?wp=GCYY49 (We did this one alone and with a group - highly recommend doing it with a group!)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...spx?wp=GC1Z37X (We did this one by basically playing follow-the-leader with the other eleventy billion Useless In Eustis 2009 attendees)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...7-8b4b188080ec