vb:literal>

Thread: Do You Hate Catalogs? Here's How To Eliminate Them

Thumbs up Do You Hate Catalogs? Here's How To Eliminate Them

As a Selectmen in our town, my husband gets emails about recycling, the price of recyclable items and other news to reduce waste in our environment. One of the neatest things in the recent issue was this information.

"Stop unwanted catalogs: In the first two weeks - 51,000 people have signed up and have stopped 2.7 million catalogs in total -- about 1 million pounds of paper annually - equivalent to 7,000 trees or getting roughly 300 cars off the road for a year. www.catalogchoice.org "

A friend had told me about this but she had lost the web address. Her mother's condo complex had encouraged residents to use this opt out feature, folks signed up and they were successful in reducing their mail load.

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    "In the first two weeks - 51,000 people have signed up and have stopped 2.7 million catalogs in total -- about 1 million pounds of paper annually - equivalent to 7,000 trees"
    And the annual output of one Maine paper mill? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    And the annual output of one Maine paper mill? LOL!
    Yeah ,now how do you feel Hollora, eliminating all those valuable Maine jobs!!!
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Want to close the thread - made a post - realized after doing that one could't - that stinks.
    Last edited by hollora; 09-20-2008 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Can't close the post

OK - now that I realize that if you post you can't close the thread - I will say this - I do not appreciate being berated by two members of this website. I am a "big girl" and can live with the inudendo about the annual loss to a Maine paper mill and the "how do you feel" comments. Both of which, I am sure, will be said were done in jest or humor.

No jest or humor gentleman - a clear cut attack of my post. Thank you, but I felt there might be someone who enjoyed, could use, or appreciated the post. In fact, I know by PMs and EMs, there were a few.

Once I am able to close this thread I will gladly do so. Thanks for the support "friends". I have my opinion and you are surely entitled to yours.

As for me - I hate getting catalogs in the mail and could care less who it puts out of a job - the papermaker or the mailcarrier - I can probably do without both - after all - email and websites such as this do away with the mail don't they!??!
    Last edited by hollora; 09-20-2008 at 09:06 PM. Reason: spelling

No jest or humor gentleman - a clear cut attack of my post.
    From what both Bruce and myself wrote I can see or read no attack on anything that has been said here. Did you not see both the smilies after each of our posts? You need to cool down and not get so defensive on everything that you write in here. Life is too short!!! PEACE OUT!!!
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

OK - now that I realize that if you post you can't close the thread - I will say this - I do not appreciate being berated by two members of this website. I am a "big girl" and can live with the inudendo about the annual loss to a Maine paper mill and the "how do you feel" comments. Both of which, I am sure, will be said were done in jest or humor.
    Sheesh, Lois! I've known Haffy for years, and can state with confidence that his comment was made in the same spirit as mine - teasing a FRIEND. Had we not known you fairly well, and felt that we COULD tease you, it would have been a different matter.

No jest or humor gentleman - a clear cut attack of my post.
    You don't know me well, and don't know that I am a STRONG advocate of recycling and reducing waste. I was just noting the irony in your position: most of us hate getting reams of catalogs but understand that many of our friends and neighbors are employed in the logging/paper industry. Did you fail to note that my post included a "LOL" rather than a "mad" or "frown" icon?

Lighten up!