vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recycling issue

There's a place in Dixmont ,I believe, on route 7, That the guy makes metal statues and tank gongs that sound like the ocean. He might be interested for art projects.
    Opalsns

i know another fellow that makes them into piggy banks. he cuts a hole in the top, a hole in the bottom, puts legs on it, and then paints it and calls it art. he was selling them for 15 dollars each. if your good with metal you coould do this too.

Quote Originally Posted by Opalsns View Post
    There's a place in Dixmont ,I believe, on route 7, That the guy makes metal statues and tank gongs that sound like the ocean. He might be interested for art projects.
    Opalsns
    Dale Thomas on Rt. 7 in Brooks . . . however I believe he mostly uses longer metal cylinders and not small propane cylinders.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by hide_from_the_kids View Post
    i know another fellow that makes them into piggy banks. he cuts a hole in the top, a hole in the bottom, puts legs on it, and then paints it and calls it art. he was selling them for 15 dollars each. if your good with metal you coould do this too.
    HehHeh . . . maybe it's just me, but I know if I started to cut into a propane cylinder I know that no matter what I had done somehow there would be some residue propane in it and you guys would be hearing about me in the news.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    HehHeh . . . maybe it's just me, but I know if I started to cut into a propane cylinder I know that no matter what I had done somehow there would be some residue propane in it and you guys would be hearing about me in the news.

We had a "call" involving an O2 cylinder. The unfortunate person castrated himself and lost a leg when it exploded. (Was making a windchime) Interesting call from my perspective but extremely unfortunate for the individual. I would NEVER recommend cutting into a pressurized cylinder of any type. Like a firearm, ALWAYS assume it's loaded (pressurized and treat it as such). Propane is low pressure but comes with its obvious dangers...
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

The campground I just started working at doesn't recycle them, people just toss them into the dumpster and the rubbish company hauls everything away.

Probably worse than that, no cans or bottles are recycled and there are no containers to do so. We aren't allowed to pick them out and I see more returnable money get tossed away than my minimum part time wage pays me.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! You can put a couple of bullet holes in them and then take them to the recycling center, too! LOL! (As long as they can be sure they're empty of propane...)
    nah, that's more fun to do when they're full...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

I found this on the Maine Bureau of Remediation and Waste Management site.

What Can I Do With My Old Propane Tank?

The valves on gas grill propane cylinders have been redesigned to increase safety. Because of this redesign, you may find yourself with a propane cylinder that can't be refilled. Rather than chuck it out on the back 40 where it can cause environmental contamination, try these options.
    1. Call local propane dealers to see if they offer a valve replacement or tank recycling service. Look in the Yellow Pages under "Gas –Propane" for propane dealers near you.

2. If your local propane dealer won't take them, check with your town office or solid waste facility to find out what arrangements they have for their residents to get rid of old tanks. Towns are working with propane dealers, cylinder recyclers, and scrap metal dealers to get the lowest price possible for getting tanks recycled.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    nah, that's more fun to do when they're full...
    Did you see them try that on Mythbusters? They shot several rounds into a full propane tank, but it never exploded. They tried armor piercing rounds, which did puncture the tank which releases a big ball of gas, but no flame. Eventually, they shot a bunch of incendiary rounds from a gatlin gun at it and it finally when up in a huge ball of flame.

But, just for safety's sake, don't try it at home

I am sure there are YouTube videos of it if you search there.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Why dispose of the empty cylinders. Why now just get a tool to refill them. You can buy them in some stores.
    Blazing Troll