vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Next thing... Caches that find themselves. No humans needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Or a high end smart phone that Cano is mentioning to read a QR code. What's the sense?
    Except QR codes are open, anybody can implement reader in any device with camera without paying any license to anyone, you don't need a high end phone for that. You don't even need any device either, all you need is a pen and paper and decode it by hand if you want to.
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Any new product is bound to have limitations but often their successors will have more features and be more compatible. For that reason I'm keeping an open mind about this.

However, I do fear that it might be one step closer to a prediction I have made before... These things being planted on every telephone pole, guard rail, and street sign and people being able to log them just by driving by them and calling it a find. I'm just hoping the new lamecaching.com site is up before then!
    Technology has been here for quite a while, only you need is any bluetooth device as a beacon and any bluetooth enabled cellphone to register it when you drive by. It's cheap and accessible and yet I still see no caches like this
    Moo

Default Ummmm

Well, Magellans were never known for finding caches anyway.
    My Magellan finds caches as good as Pam's Garmin. Haven't compared it to my Oregon yet since my sister has the Magellan to "see if she likes Geocaching". What my Magellan did that pushed me away from it was acquire satellites so slowly that we sat around waiting for it to be ready to go. I heard that I should be turning it on and off in the same general area. Nope, that didn't do it. If I had to change batteries, another long wait while it acquired satellites. I wouldn't have switched to Garmin if it hadn't been for that.

There is now an attribute for caches that utilize this new device.

- Wireless Beacon

Four US caches are currently using this attribute

SBS - You're In a World of Hertz (GC2G604) by ecanderson (4/1.5)
    Heard A Bird ? (GC2GRHF) by towtrkdug (5/1.5)
    THE SECOND COMING (GC2FYWA) by The Late Dr HaZzMaTt (4.5/4.5)
    Color in the Dotte (GC2GXN1) by KCViper295 (2/3.5)
    Last edited by brdad; 10-19-2010 at 09:16 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

There is now an attribute for caches that utilize this new device.

- Wireless Beacon
    Low tech users can use wireless bacon and dogs
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    I like the idea, but I'm sure it uses some proprietary protocol, so it will be limited only for garmins and therefore useless. What's wrong with printing a QR code with coordinates of the next stage? You scan it and you are all set to go. How can a battery last there one year?
    And what do you need to read a QR code, some 300 dollar smart phone or what? Not any more proprietary than what you are suggesting for reading the code.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I'm so irate and discouraged at reading this thread......I'd better wait a few days to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    And what do you need to read a QR code, some 300 dollar smart phone or what? Not any more proprietary than what you are suggesting for reading the code.
    If you are having problems what word proprietary means or you are missing any information about QR codes, I suggest you start studying, so you don't look like an ignorant, because I already explained everything.
    Moo

If you are having problems what word proprietary means or you are missing any information about QR codes, I suggest you start studying, so you don't look like an ignorant, because I already explained everything.
    While not proprietary by manufacturer, decoding a QR code at a cache site does require special equipment which many cachers do not have. Until a few months ago, I didn't have a camera on my phone, and I do not think the one I have now is capable of decoding QR codes. And I'm not interested in QR code caches enough to find out, and those QR code caches which are puzzles on the cache page can be easily decoded online at several web sites. While I take no opposition to someone hiding a cache which requires decoding of QR codes (even at the cache site of it is so noted in the description), I would not like to see the use of QR codes implemented in all caches. I feel exactly the same way about this new Chirp.
    Last edited by brdad; 10-23-2010 at 10:24 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Thanks but I never called you ignorant just because you can't speak proper English either, just saying be nice.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.