vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bogus "Discovery" of One of My Coins

Thumbs down Bogus "Discovery" of One of My Coins

Heads-up folks.... I received notice today that a cacher named l'oursperdu discovered one of my geocoins. Funny thing, I have that coin at home. This cacher admits that he found the tracking number "by accident" while trying different numbers. I canceled his discovery log and wrote him saying that it was not a proper thing to do. If you see that caching name come up as discovering one of your trackables you might want to check into it.

Thumbs down Got one of mine as well

I did the same and just deleted his log. Another stupid hack.
    Happy Trails!

I wonder what's the ratio of valid codes to all codes
    Moo

When I first started out, I put out six TBs. All but one has disappeared, and that one went off radar for about three years before showing up in Okinawa.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

After reading this thread I thought I'd take a look at my traveler list. I put two TBs out in the last two weeks so I'm not including them in this count, but other than those two I have ten out and eight missing. Why bother?

I have just had a couple of ones which have been missing since early on reappear ~ each with their own story and some with no rationale. Coins and bugs are just another dimension.

Interesting . . . I had the same "discovery" of my TB that I've never released. Claimed by Geocacher "gummibjorn".
    After checking his profile and deleting his log, I went through his other "discoveries". They are easy to spot: They all have Zero Miles, and the Location is always listed as the Owner.
    He had thirteen of these until I deleted his log of my TB . (He still has twelve ).
    Pretty easy to generate random numbers until you hit a lucky one.
    I didn't bother to email him because it was obvious it was no accident.
    It takes all kinds, I guess . . .

what's the use with making it up? maybe I just don't understand that part of the game. When I first started back in May I took a TB to Ga thinking it would help its goal of moving across the states but the person who picked it up only logged 4 caches ever and never replaced the TB in circulation. I feel like it's my fault. I have even sent them a message but no responce.

Quote Originally Posted by surfacewarrior View Post
    what's the use with making it up? maybe I just don't understand that part of the game.
    It's all about "the numbers" - whether it be a new icon in your list of trackables found - or just increasing the numbers of trackables found. "The Numbers" is the most important factor to many geocachers.

Quote Originally Posted by surfacewarrior View Post
    When I first started back in May I took a TB to Ga thinking it would help its goal of moving across the states but the person who picked it up only logged 4 caches ever and never replaced the TB in circulation. I feel like it's my fault. I have even sent them a message but no responce.
    Don't let that bother you. It happens to everyone. Picking up and moving trackables is a part of geocaching we really enjoy. Every time I drop one in a cache, I wonder if it will ever move on. And I've lost plenty of travel bugs and geocoins myself - some which had traveled around the world a couple of times before they went missing.

Last edited by WhereRWe?; 11-14-2010 at 07:09 PM.

Default Coins

I agree 100% with Bruce. I enjoy moving an occassional coin and I have also enjoyed watching some of my coins travel. But alas, very few are left, I've gotten over getting upset about it but in the same light I now have a fairly large collection of coins that I've purchased and I've probably given away more coins to caching friends then I've placed. It's too bad that there are cachers out there that feel it's ok to STEAL a coin, but it happens.

I enjoyed the response to those who looked at some of my coins yesterday at the Sea Dog and feel that was more rewarding then watching a coin travel along and then disappear.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.