vb:literal>

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: *warning* do not release or move coins to the bangor area

Quote Originally Posted by benandtina View Post
    I am almost tempted to report the auction as containing potentially stolen property. The fact that he won't even give his friend's username is really fishy... and I find it hard to believe that he is getting bids 10x what he originally expected but is unwilling to go on gc.com and educate himself. You would think he would want to have all of the information sorted out so he can be sure to get the $100 people are willing to spend.
    Don't waste your time. I noticed an ebay sale of a coin and asked for the tracking number. The seller gave it to me and after seeing that it was activated, explained it to them. His ebay id and caching id (yes, he was a geocacher) were close enough that I was able to see that he logged a cache, but didn't log the coin retrieve. I offered to pay for shipping, then to buy it, but he refused. I found the coin owner who also got involved, but neither ebay nor GC.com would do anything about it. The owner marked the coin page as stolen, but that was all she could do.

Wow!! 8 unique bidders!! Not only do I not believe how this seller came to be in possession of these coins I can't believe anyone would be willing to bid on them; they are essentially validating the taking of coins out of caches. (I'm operating under the pretense that only a geocacher would want geo-coins) I read the "sellers" claims that these coins aren't "stolen", if they are or not is irrelevent as it would not take long for a lowlife scumbag to deduce that a visit to all the caches with coins could mean easy money. It also wouldn't be a far stretch to say that the bidders of these coins would stoop low enough to steal activated coins out of their local caches.

I don't believe for a second the "owner" activated 8 of the coins and still would have them all in their possession and not have placed them in circulation, else why activate them. I could understand 1 or 2, maybe, but 8 comes across as "something's not right here." Also, if it is an ex-geocacher who just happened to want to get rid of his collection then I would think that person knew other geocachers and would offer them the first choice at the coins and pathtags.

Too bad this happens but it is not surprising.
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Question Not sure about that part

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    \

I don't believe for a second the "owner" activated 8 of the coins and still would have them all in their possession and not have placed them in circulation, else why activate them. I could understand 1 or 2, maybe, but 8 comes across as "something's not right here."
    I have nearly 70 coins and mine are all activated. That is the only way I know of for people to be able to discover them. I bring them to events just for that reason.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    I have nearly 70 coins and mine are all activated. That is the only way I know of for people to be able to discover them. I bring them to events just for that reason.

lol. Too much `tricity has gone through your frontal lobe. I activated all three of mine too and they are in somebody elses collection waiting to be discovered.
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    Thanks for that Brad!

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    lol. Too much `tricity has gone through your frontal lobe. I activated all three of mine too and they are in somebody elses collection waiting to be discovered.
    Yeah I hear yah, seems some people are just too perfect to admit it though... All mine are activated,I think?
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Default Activated vs. unactivated?

I have a fairly good collection going, maybe 100 coins or so and haven't activated a single coin. I guess my thought is that if I ever decide to sell some of them they would be more valuable unactivated. Am I right about that? I don't do e-bay, just getting them from the various outlets plus 5 each month from the Coin Club.

I hope that most don't find the collection of coins presumptive of theft.

For those that collect, have you found 3 hole coin holders that actually keep the coins in place? If so, where can I get some. I bought some at a coin shop but the coins are always falling out.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

I've bought coins from ebay. I always make sure to get it in writing that the coin is not activated and an activation code will be provided. Atleast then it's a form of contract that's reliable. We have and like the type of coin book w/solid pages and a sliding window!? I would think if you were going to sell/gift any of your coins.....you'd have to keep track of the activation code or atleast where to get it for each and ever coin. That sounds like an organizational nightmare...esp. if you end up w/anywhere near as many as Barry
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

i have a few coins i would sell cheep to local cachers only. send me a private message, and they are not activated.

Quote Originally Posted by Katadin Goddess View Post
    i have a few coins i would sell cheep to local cachers only. send me a private message, and they are not activated.
    Sheesh! I have no idea where "Greene, Maine" is. Am I a local cacher?