vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bangor City Forest (BCF) caches...nice trails?

Default Bangor City Forest (BCF) caches...nice trails?

Hello! I was thinking about bringing the team up to Bangor for the day, and was wondering if the BCF trails were more on the "rustic" side or on the "trimmed" side...we seem to have become tick magnets lately, even with the proper clothing and bug spray, and if we can avoid too much bushwacking on a day of caching we'd like to. Also, is it reasonable to shoot for all the caches in one day, or is it definitely a multi-trip thing? Thanks!

-Mike

Oops...and this is why I never comment on stuff; because I'm a doofus!! Can someone smarter than me please tell me how I can put this thread into the General Discussion Forum? Thank you...

-Mike

The thread has been moved for you, don't let something that simple keep you from posting!

The trails at the BCF are great, the main trails are like roads and the side trails are mostly brush-free. Ticks are not as big a problem this far north, either. Don't miss the Orono Boardwalk while you are there either. More information can be found at http://cityforest.bangorinfo.com/
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Thanks for the tech-help and the info! It sounds like exactly what we're looking for! We'll check out the Boardwalk as well!

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Ticks are not as big a problem this far north, either. [/url]
    ??? A tick bite up here can give you the same disasterous results as a tick bite from other places. The deer ticks are in their most potent stage right now, the nymph stage, although they can give you lyme disease, babesia, etc etc at any stage of their lives. It was 4 yrs ago this month that I was bitten by a tick after visiting the board walk in BCF and basically lost 2 yrs of my life to the two tick born diseases I contracted as a result. And just the first week of this month, there was a nymph attached to my neck, and I had to have preventative treatment. Would I go to the BCR to do the caches? Absolutely! Now? Absolutely! But keep doing your preventative measures and daily 'tick checks' to keep yourself and your family/team safe and healthy. And if you have any bites, see your PCP to discuss treatment options, whether or not you get a rash. Only 30% of those who contract tick born diseases do. I am not a biologist. Maybe the ticks are not as much of a 'problem this far north' but it only takes one and the one that bit me certainly created #(%& on earth for me and without boring you with the medical issues, lets just say I am fortunate to be alive after the resulting medical issues.

I'm not seeing a way to edit my thread, so let me complete the sentence that I started: Only 30% of those who contract tick born diseases do. (get a rash)

I was not suggesting to not be concerned about ticks this far north, only that the density is not as great. One is too many in my book. A person still needs to be aware of their existence and take the proper precautions.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by ampmdp View Post
    Hello! I was thinking about bringing the team up to Bangor for the day, and was wondering if the BCF trails were more on the "rustic" side or on the "trimmed" side...we seem to have become tick magnets lately, even with the proper clothing and bug spray, and if we can avoid too much bushwacking on a day of caching we'd like to. Also, is it reasonable to shoot for all the caches in one day, or is it definitely a multi-trip thing? Thanks!

-Mike
    I have done half of the caches in there and the trails are wonderful. I was 4 hours. I think they could be all done in a day but man what a day!
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

Cool Tools and Dyslexic's Nightmare both took me a while. A mountain bike would be a big help.
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

Bicycle. bicycle, bicycle.......You want to ride your bicycle. you want to ride your bike.

Seriously, I think that you could get them all by bicycle in one day pretty easy. Tandemstoker and I did about half of them by bike and she was pulling that trailer with her dog, food, extra clothes, the kitchen sink. LOL